mtbr member

Hanger Bangers....

Silly question... After shattering my spots dropout I've been looking at the North Shore Billet Hanger Banger.. I understand that this protects the derailleur but isn't that the whole point of having a replaceable dropout?

If you use the hanger banger are you exposing another part to damage??

Anyone had any experience?

Cheers,

Rich

Knomer
    I have hanger bangers on both of my bikes. They protect your derailleur from direct hits, like when you endo and the bike falls on it's side. The banger attaches to the axle(or qr)so there really is no chance of a hit on the banger bending some other "unforseen" part. What the banger does NOT protect against, is damage coming from beneath the derailleur, like when you slide into a tight slot or rut and bend the cage of the derailleur.

Basically, it's a nice piece that adds a little more protection than your current qr end cap or axle nut.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    Basically, it's a nice piece that adds a little more protection than your current qr end cap or axle nut.
    So it's nice but not really a revolution.

Thanks for that DB.

Rich

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    It does keep the hanger from bending. It is easier to find a replacement rear mech. in a pinch (although not cheaper), whereas a hanger that fits your frame? A little more difficult. Another good aspect of these hb's is the fact that they stiffen up your rear mech, which is nice for those putting the power down and experiencing some lateral flex and ghostshifting.