... I guess you won't be

Handbuilt Wheels Hub retrofit?

The wheels on my Spot are almost 4 years old [King Hubs, Dt spokes, Mavic x3.1 rim]......

I'm just waiting for the cascade of spoke/nipple breaks that's coming since I've really gotten more than my fair share of reliable luck out of this wheelset.

I'm going to keep the hubs, of course, but want to re-lace and throw a newer tubeless style rim on....preferably a 25mm-ish bigger xc rim [as opposed to the 23mm mavic x3.1 I have now]...any suggestions for spoke/rim combos that are coming down the pike that I should wait for, or is there current kit out there that fit's the bill?

Lastly, I anticipate a lot of jaws chocked at a 45 degree angle at quite a few LBS's in my area if I wanted to get both wheels restrung expertly [our local gorillas could do it, but I'd prefer to have it done by an expert]......do you Homers know of any wheelbuilder I could just mail my hubs to, and they will outfit some wheels for me?
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

Nothing here
    http://www.oddsandendos.com
    Mike Garcia does a good job.

www.redbarnbicycles.com
    Chad at Red Barn Bicycles does a good job.

http://speeddream.com/
    Dave at Speed Dream wheels does a good job.

I 've had wheels from all those guys and can vouch for their excellent work.

No, that's not phonetic
    Are you actually breaking spokes or shearing nipples? I have wheels that are a lot older than 4 years and as long as they were a quality build to begin with, they should keep on keeping on. I don't think there is any bright line cutoff age for replacing spokes. They will tell you when they are done and it could take another 10 years. Toss a Maxxis rim strip on there and you are tubeless for $5.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

banned, again
    Quote Originally Posted by jokermtb
    .do you Homers know of any wheelbuilder I could just mail my hubs to, and they will outfit some wheels for me?
    While I'm not sure that I'm a full-fledged Homer, I know of a few.

Larry Mettler.

Mike Garcia (oddsandendos.com).

Universal Cycles in Portland OR.

Kris & Von at Go-Ride.

your LBS.

Mike Curiak (mikesee).

I've used wheels built by Universal Cycles, by Mike Garcia, and by my LBS. All worked well, held up well. The set that Mike Garcia built have lasted for 5 years and are just about ready for relacing, as they've been trued endlessly to the point of uneven tension.

My LBS has built me wheels that lasted 3 seasons.

I have a set of wheels from Universal that have 2 seasons on them and still are going strong.

Kris's and Von's wheelbuilds get great ratings, as do Larry's.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Are you actually breaking spokes or shearing nipples? I have wheels that are a lot older than 4 years and as long as they were a quality build to begin with, they should keep on keeping on. I don't think there is any bright line cutoff age for replacing spokes. They will tell you when they are done and it could take another 10 years..
    Agreed... There are only two reason to replace spokes-
    • You've thrown your chain and the drive-side spokes are damaged
    • The wheel has been over-tensioned and spokes are brekaing due to that

At this point I have built all the wheels I ride, and am not having any durability issues at all.

One thing to consider is that Mavic's UST rims share the same ERD (diameter) so you can do a "lace-over". Translation: You can tape a brand new EX823 to your existing 819 so that the valve-holes line up, loosen all the spokes until threads are barely showing, then swap the UST "grommets" & spokes over from one rim to the other, one at a time. No lacing involved. All you need to do after that is dish & tension.

If you really want to do an ace job, replace the nipples and grommets. Use brass nipples, preferably 16mm if you can. Use lock-tite when installing the grommets. Mavic makes a special tool for these, but I have cautiosly used a small pair of vice grips with no problems.

... I guess you won't be
    not breaking spokes or nipples yet, but I find myself wanting to run wider tires more frequently and the 23mm rims are just too freekin narrow! I had my Geax Sturdy 2.25 roll off the front rim in a corner I've nailed time after time, and the tire was air'd up to my usual spec....just too fat for my skinny xc rims....However, my mavic x3.1's are tubeless rims, just never got around to running tubeless on those wheels [my SS has the same rims, and I do run tubeless on that bike]

Thanks again for the recomendations!

Didn't know Chad did wheels - I'll have to drop him an email....
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies