Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HammerSchmidt !

Team Sanchez

HammerSchmidt !

I had my first ride on the new internal gear system this morning and I have some thoughts on it.
    First of it looks good. When I first saw the HammerSchmidt at Interbike I thought it looked much smaller in person that in the pics I had seen. It is smaller in diameter but wider than you would think.
    Second. It is not heavy. The ride this morning has a 20 min climb to start and I made it up to the top without too much trouble. This climb wears me out every time.
    Third. Without the chain putting tension on the rear suspension it kicks butt on the choppy down hill. The rear end felt more active and it tracked better. Its SCIENCE !

Here are some pic to go with my thoughts
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    How do you like the engagement? I think I read somewhere the pawl system essentially negates a good rear hub....any truth to this? Nice HL btw..

Buzz

Flyin Canine
    That third comment I am not clear on. Do you mean to say that the chain is not engaged if you are not pedaling and therefore a bike that has a chainstay that lengthens during suspension movement is no longer felt at the crank?

Also benefit #4 it's easier to clean around the pivot area.

Lastly, does not having a lower guide pulley cause a lot of chain slap noise to come back?

Team Sanchez
    It's kind of interesting. The one thing that struck me at Interbike was that it's like having 2 free hubs. When you pedal backwards, the chain doesn't move. So what Naked was saying about the rear end feeling more active could essentially be true. There is no chain torque as rear suspension cycles. Naked made the comment that he could hear the front pawl system ratcheting as he was banging thru the chop. One additional comment: the throw on the lever is much shorter than on a traditiaonl FD shifter, which is pretty nice. Shifts are crisp and immediate.

As for the comment about the front pawl system negating a 120 or 108 engagement rear hub.....that has to be true, but so far, that is the only down side I can see to the HS.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

Team Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz
    How do you like the engagement? I think I read somewhere the pawl system essentially negates a good rear hub....any truth to this? Nice HL btw..

Buzz
    Engagement is instant. I was using the HS for most of my shifting. I don't know if this is how I will be riding it all the time or just cus its new.

Team Sanchez
    shanedawg. What El C said.

mtbr member
    I'd pass just based on the Q factor, not to mention the whatever percentage loss of pedaling juice coming out of a planetary drive.

If anyone puts this on an über-efficient DW bike, I'm gonna laugh.

Just sayin'

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Did you have to face the bottom bracket? I saw in the instructions that you need to have a flat BB shell, to the tabs, but my Highline has a small lip. I am in the process of building my new Highline, where did you get your HS? is it the AM or FR?

Thanks,
    Ryan.

Rolling
    I don't understand how the chain can put any torque on the rear suspension, the point of engagement on the crank is at the pivot and it's a faux bar stay. Thus, the torque is zero.

Another clear benefit is log clearance.

mtbr member
    Nice write-up on the HammerSchmidt here:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/mo...hmidt.920.html

NOT Team Sanchez
    I don't know much about planetary gears and such.........what I DO know is that Naked stomped the 25' money booter with ease this morning on his HS enhanced HL!

Oh and it was pretty cool that he shift while we were waiting to hit a move and without any revolutions he was in that gear, impressive!
    I like bikes.

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by NAKED1
    Second. It is not heavy. The ride this morning has a 20 min climb to start and I made it up to the top without too much trouble. This climb wears me out every time.

Third. Without the chain putting tension on the rear suspension it kicks butt on the choppy down hill. The rear end felt more active and it tracked better. Its SCIENCE !
    Hmmmm, I'm not sure how your fitness level helps us determine the weight of this product.

More importantly, how would a stationary Hammershit system have any less "tension" than a stationary standard crankset? The only thing you could be referring to is the fact that the lack of instant engagement allows your feet to move slightly in both directions(clockwise & counter) without applying pressure to the chain and therefore the suspension remains unaffected. I could get the same affect with a crappy wtb rear hub.

That said, I still like the concept. I'm not too worried about "drag" in the planetary gear since you don't climb in that gear, and you coast when it's pointed downhill in the chunk.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

Team Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman

Another clear benefit is log clearance.
    what are logs?

Team Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryana
    Did you have to face the bottom bracket? I saw in the instructions that you need to have a flat BB shell, to the tabs, but my Highline has a small lip. I am in the process of building my new Highline, where did you get your HS? is it the AM or FR?

Thanks,
    Ryan.

Yes the BB was faced back when I built up the Highline. I got the HS here from my LBS and its the AM version.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Doesn't chain torque only apply when your actually pedaling?, if the chain was moving forward in the hammerschizzle then you were not pedaling and it was probably more a function of the freehub moving with the rear wheel since the chain is no longer stationary while not pedaling.

If there was less chain torque with the system Sram's marketing would of been all over it like stink on sh!t.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

So.........

Is it all good? Is this the next thing? Why would a rider NOT want this on their bike? LIke maybe cost vs. what it brings? Inquiring Burners want to know.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Doesn't chain torque only apply when your actually pedaling?
    You could have chain torque if the suspension compresses, the chain shortens and the rear hub ratchets. Thus even though you are not pedaling, you are resisting the lengthening of the chain when the suspension rebounds.

However, I wouldn't think this is the case based on the reasoning in my earlier post above. I can't see the chain shortening on a Faux bar with the pivot on the chainline. But then again, perhaps the chainline isn't really lined up and the rear is ratching up some pawls.

I would love to see this in a slow motion movie. Maybe since the crank can ratchet, the cassette actually has enough friction to rotate forward during bouncy DH riding-- like you allude to.

Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Is it all good? Is this the next thing? Why would a rider NOT want this on their bike? LIke maybe cost vs. what it brings? Inquiring Burners want to know.
    -cost
    -friction
    -wear and thus expensive repair
    -weight
    -gear range limitations.

I've been watching this. It's seems like a great design, especially for a single pivot bike. Plus, combine it with a internal geared rear hub, who knows.
    Last edited by lidarman; 02-03-2009 at 04:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Naked - which rear der are you running? I see it's SRAM, but can't tell which model and cage length. Looks to be at least mid-cage - one of the things I am excited about with HS is running a short-cage rear der, the less that thing sticks out there for me to bash, the better. And which version did you get, FR or AM?

I'm gonna be watching you for ride reports, I am interested in the HS for my Highline - but I'm not going for early adoption.
    "Cram as much pleasure into life, and rail against the pain you have to suffer as a result" - Shane MacGowan

Team Sanchez
    Mac, I have a mid cage now and plan on replacing it with a short soon. Its the AM.

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by NAKED1
    Yes the BB was faced back when I built up the Highline. I got the HS here from my LBS and its the AM version.
    Would stacking washers on the ISCG tabs be an alternative to facing the BB down?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    how would this work on a vpp or dwl bike?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I want a Hammerschmidt, but I gotta say my right ankle bone dies a little inside when I look at that top view.

mtbr member
    I think its funny that a 20 minute climb makes you tired.

NUT UP! OR get your SKORT!
    Bad rep!!! That's right SON!!

Chillin the Most
    Quote Originally Posted by rwheezy
    how would this work on a vpp or dwl bike?
    Straight from the horses mouth...

NOT Team Sanchez
    any climb can make you tired..........it depends on the pace you keep up it...........but apparently you're a hardcore SS guy so every climbs blazing fast, and yet you're unfazed cause you're so gnarly right? How come you can never say anything without it being demeaning and derogatory?
    I like bikes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast