mtbr member
    Feb 2004

great divide ride report

hey all -

i just finished a nearly 2-month long ride from canada to mexico on the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route. i rode 2401 miles from border to border and the only bike-related problem i had was four flat tires in the last two days of riding. even with my BOB trailer in tow, i rode a couple of sections that would have been sketchy even on my downhill bike. after a quick stop at Absolute Bikes in Salida, Scot the owner and mechanic said that he couldnt believe how well my bike was holding up for having ridden 40+ miles a day for (at that point) 1600 miles. i didnt even need my wheels trued, just some lube and i was ready to keep going.

anyway, i dont have a detailed ride report written up yet or even all of my pictures up online, but i thought i would share one with all of you Turner fanatics. here is my 5-Spot taking a much deserved break near the Sweetwater River in Wyoming.

mtbr member

Awesome

That trip is one of my life goals. I look forward to your report. Did you do this solo?

Silence and Thunder...

Wow!!

...can't wait to see/hear more! *I'm so jealous!!
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

RE: great divide ride report

Quote Originally Posted by CalEpic
    That trip is one of my life goals. I look forward to your report. Did you do this solo?
    yeah, i did the ride solo and 100% self-supported. i did end up staying in a motel about 5 or 6 times when i was in a bigger town so i could get a shower and what not, but otherwise i camped out every night. i carried all of my food and filtered water when necessary - just me and my Turner and what i could fit in my BOB trailer.

it was an great trip to be sure. of course it had its good days and a couple that i would rather forget, but overall it was one of the most amazing thing i have ever done.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    that is far to cool and impressive. im another who dreams of some good self supported off road touring. ive got the arsenal of bikes and bobs to chose from and ive started to aquire some ultra lite gear. if ya dont mind id love to pick yer brain relentlessly for tips on gear and and how to use it. if this is ok, email me at tommcconnell12@netzero.com when ya catch yer breath.

for now id love to know how much weight you averaged in yer dry sack and any other bagage you carried.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Now with flavor!!
    Haha.........abolute in salida rules. A buddy of mine folded his kona frame long abouts salida and those guys got kona to hook him up with a frame. Notice they're not a kona dealer?

Under 2 months? You didn't drink enough beer or ride enough single track. Took us almost 3

Glad you had fun. Best summer of my life.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

~~~~~~~~
    way cool, can't wait to hear more.
    can't see from the photo if your bob has the shock.

mtbr member
    I can't think of anything unique to say. You're amazing to have commited to such a epic trip. I've ridden my mountain bike across the country on roads, but my heart is in the mountains and the dirt for sure. "I'm jealous" doesn't even begin to describe what I think. Did you follow Adventure Cycling's map system? I was so excided when they finished the route! I'll be on it in the next 5 years. Great post.
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

mtbr member

Good job! congrats..

That is an impressive trip for sure, looking forward to more pics and your report...

Just another Homer

Also

one of my dreams is to do that ride. I have enough vacation time built up,but they just won't let me go yet. Maybe I'll have to quit? I can't wait for all the details and the route and the wildlife sightings and the turmoil and tribulations and the,well, you get my drift.Please post your story soon.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith