Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

GravityDropper or Coil shock? What would you choose?

Hey all,
    I'm thinking of doing an upgrade for my RFX. The main candidates are either a nice coil rear shock or a gravity dropper. No chance I'll get the OK from wife to do both now, so I have to decide.

Options are:
    - Gravity dropper
    - Avalanche Chubbie 7.875x2.25
    - Avalanche Chubbie 7.5x2.25 (FM style)
    - Cane Creek CCDB

Ride is AM, which for me means doing both aerobic rides with lots of climbing and enjoying it, combined with technical singletrack in rocky loose terrain, usually slow and vertical, not flying downhill, and enjoying it aw well. No huge stuff. So far I seem to enjoy drops up to around 3' to flat and a little more to tranny, but not much more.
    Currently riding an RP23 in the rear and a Talas36 up front, and actually really enjoying both (but I don;t know what I am missing ).
    The aim is simply to make the ride even more fun for the current riding envelope.

...What would you do if you were me?... (Thanks for any thoughts!!)
    Hear no evil. See no evil. Speak no evil. (Do it !?!)

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by tald
    (Thanks for any thoughts!!)
    Another option: PUSH the RP23 and get the Gravitydropper.

That would probably cost less than purchasing either an Avy or CCDB. I bet the RP23 would feel like a whole new shock, too. That's what I would do if I were you.

PSI
    I want that one
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    Another option: PUSH the RP23 and get the Gravitydropper.

That would probably cost less than purchasing either an Avy or CCDB. I bet the RP23 would feel like a whole new shock, too. That's what I would do if I were you.
    or a dhx coil and gd
    Last edited by PSI; 07-05-2008 at 12:04 AM.

trail fairy
    Get the coil ya already got the RP23 get the GD later! which coil out of that lot you go I leave to you all look good
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Powered by ice cream.
    Dropper hands down. Sort of a revolutionary vs evolutionary change. It increased the fun factor for me hugely.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

banned
    coil

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Dropper hands down. Sort of a revolutionary vs evolutionary change. It increased the fun factor for me hugely.
    Werd x2. Get the dropper, no question.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

IPA
    Suck My Wake

I second the gettting your RP23 Push'd AND the GD

I have the same front and rear suspension components as you and a GD. I find it hard to believe that I got along for years w/o the GD---to me, this is the best bet for your money. I also agree w/ the PUSH logic for your RP23. I sent mine in about 4 months ago and the Push'd RP23 is indeed the heat. You can get the post and the Push treatment for half of what a CCDB costs!!

mtbr member
    If you are willing to spend as much as a CCDB you should probably consider the black mamba post as obviously price is not an object

trail fairy
    Blackl mamba

Dude oxymoron coming from the Knolly forum re CCDB

No dis but WTF, he did add Avy in there!

Course Ti spring is a must

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tald
    Hey all,
    I'm thinking of doing an upgrade for my RFX. The main candidates are either a nice coil rear shock or a gravity dropper. No chance I'll get the OK from wife to do both now, so I have to decide.

Options are:
    - Gravity dropper
    - Avalanche Chubbie 7.875x2.25
    - Avalanche Chubbie 7.5x2.25 (FM style)
    - Cane Creek CCDB

Ride is AM, which for me means doing both aerobic rides with lots of climbing and enjoying it, combined with technical singletrack in rocky loose terrain, usually slow and vertical, not flying downhill, and enjoying it aw well. No huge stuff. So far I seem to enjoy drops up to around 3' to flat and a little more to tranny, but not much more.
    Currently riding an RP23 in the rear and a Talas36 up front, and actually really enjoying both (but I don;t know what I am missing ).
    The aim is simply to make the ride even more fun for the current riding envelope.

...What would you do if you were me?... (Thanks for any thoughts!!)
    Dropper now ,avy later.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    yep. get the post. for the level yer ridin at now, itll be much more useful and fun to have. just the jollys yer lookin for. once ya start to push that envelope, theres gonna be a new shock of the month anyway. if ya can swing it, the push job would be nice too and both will still come way under the cost of a bling shock and leave some beer money too. you win, the wife wins, the liquer store guy keeps ya on his krismiss card list.... what could be better?
    No, I'm NOT back!

PSI
    I want that one
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    yep. get the post. for the level yer ridin at now, itll be much more useful and fun to have. just the jollys yer lookin for. once ya start to push that envelope, theres gonna be a new shock of the month anyway. if ya can swing it, the push job would be nice too and both will still come way under the cost of a bling shock and leave some beer money too. you win, the wife wins, the liquer store guy keeps ya on his krismiss card list.... what could be better?
    zen

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Heard you all loud and clear. Easier to convince the Mrs as well. THANKS!!!
    Hear no evil. See no evil. Speak no evil. (Do it !?!)

Team Blindspot

I'd get the GD, and look at a Van R

The boys at Push really like the Van R.

Purchasing one and having it Pushed is cheaper than buying a DHX. I found a nearly new one on Ebay for $90.

I know I'm loving mine
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    I agree with S-Works.

I have a DHX-c and GD. I know Push would set up the Van-R the right way for you. I just swapped out the RP23 for the DHX-c and now I want to send it in to Push. I had the RP23 Pushed, it was great. However, if you like coil shocks, and I do, then even a Pushed RP23 won't cut it.

The GD is a no-brainer. It doesn't have to be GD, AMP makes a good product too. I have the turbo with 1" & 4" drops. I could give up the coil shock if I had to, but the GD, not a chance!
    [SIZE="2"]Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you will suck forever.[/SIZE]

trail fairy
    Ah Im off the cruches but still on the meds, oh wait what are we talking about again, oh my bad wrong thread I thought we were discussing crutches, carry on carry on

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Elitest thrill junkie
    I would, and did choose an avalanche shock instead of a gravity-crutch.

Thing is, I usually end up waiting at the top of hills for the gravity-dropper riders. What's the point if I'm waiting up there? It takes me 3 seconds to set my seatpost with the QR, and it costs 0.00000000000000001% of the gravity dropper. Last weekend we had no less than 4 6 packs on a ride, 3 gravity-equipped I believe, as well as at least one other bike with a gravity-crutch, but I don't see the point. We climbed for a while, got to the top of a big mountain, everyone was a little dusted, set our seat heights, and then took off down the mountain. I'm not into adjusting my bike for every 50 foot descent, and riding my 6-pack on the kind of ride that would make a gravity-dropper make sense is a dumb idea IMO, because it means I'm constantly going short ups and downs. Guess what, it's a pain in the ass to ride a 36lb bike constantly up and down like an XC bike, and I don't want it to be like an XC bike. The gravity dropper might help, but it's still bringing a bazooka to a knife-fight, and it's a pain to lug that thing around everywhere. I do just fine on my pack, but I'd rather ride big rides that have serious downhills and uphills, not 30 second glory-fests followed by a climb. That may be the way some of the riding is in certain parts of the country, but not here and it's not the stuff that I like to ride. I don't need a gravity-dropper to do a 2hr climb, it doesn't help. I think a bike like 6 pack or similer bike built up to truely handle everything is not going to be a super-light bike, it's not going to be a great bike for a lot of small-up and small-down riding. Get a 5-spot or one of those super-light build RFXs, there it may have some purpose.

In any case, even riding my 6-pack everywhere, I usually end up waiting for people with gravity-crutches (and they're usually tired at the top). I guess I could be an a$$ and lower my seat before they get there and then TAKE OFF when they arrive (because with a gravity dropper they don't have to stop!). If I'm waiting for gravity-crutchers, I can adjust my QR easily while I wait. I'm not saying that the gravity-crutch adds an unreasonable amount of weight, just that people may be bringing way too big of a bike for a ride and if they gotta rest for a few min at the top of a crazy climb, it doesn't make sense.

The avalanche on the other hand...it's got balls.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    I would, and did choose an avalanche shock instead of a gravity-crutch.

Thing is, I usually end up waiting at the top of hills for the gravity-dropper riders. What's the point if I'm waiting up there? It takes me 3 seconds to set my seatpost with the QR, and it costs 0.00000000000000001% of the gravity dropper. Last weekend we had no less than 4 6 packs on a ride, 3 gravity-equipped I believe, as well as at least one other bike with a gravity-crutch, but I don't see the point. We climbed for a while, got to the top of a big mountain, everyone was a little dusted, set our seat heights, and then took off down the mountain. I'm not into adjusting my bike for every 50 foot descent, and riding my 6-pack on the kind of ride that would make a gravity-dropper make sense is a dumb idea IMO, because it means I'm constantly going short ups and downs. Guess what, it's a pain in the ass to ride a 36lb bike constantly up and down like an XC bike, and I don't want it to be like an XC bike. The gravity dropper might help, but it's still bringing a bazooka to a knife-fight, and it's a pain to lug that thing around everywhere. I do just fine on my pack, but I'd rather ride big rides that have serious downhills and uphills, not 30 second glory-fests followed by a climb. That may be the way some of the riding is in certain parts of the country, but not here and it's not the stuff that I like to ride. I don't need a gravity-dropper to do a 2hr climb, it doesn't help. I think a bike like 6 pack or similer bike built up to truely handle everything is not going to be a super-light bike, it's not going to be a great bike for a lot of small-up and small-down riding. Get a 5-spot or one of those super-light build RFXs, there it may have some purpose.

In any case, even riding my 6-pack everywhere, I usually end up waiting for people with gravity-crutches (and they're usually tired at the top). I guess I could be an a$$ and lower my seat before they get there and then TAKE OFF when they arrive (because with a gravity dropper they don't have to stop!). If I'm waiting for gravity-crutchers, I can adjust my QR easily while I wait. I'm not saying that the gravity-crutch adds an unreasonable amount of weight, just that people may be bringing way too big of a bike for a ride and if they gotta rest for a few min at the top of a crazy climb, it doesn't make sense.

Now THAT'S the kind of idle chest thumping that makes MTBR so fun to read.

Thanks.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    A chubbie with balls beats a crutch..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs