Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Gravity Dropper or Descender seat post ?

Thinking of putting one on my Spot.
    These posts seem like a good idea to me, since I find myself dismounting many times each ride to change the saddle height before technical sections.
    Do any of you homers use them ?
    Are they comfortable & easy to use, or just a good gimmik ?
    Is the descender post as good as the gravity dropper (it does not have the control from the handle bar) , or should I spend the extra $$$ towards the gravity dropper ?
    Any other differances between the 2 ?
    Thanks
    PM

P.S.
    Should I get the standard 3" drop, or the 2", or 4" options ?

PSI
    I want that one
    Do any of you homers use them? PM, you're in GD central.
    Tons of threads - if you can get the search to work.
    I just got the Decender model and put in a few rides on it already. I love it. If you find your self stopping to lower/raise you seat all the time you need one. I got the non remote model because I didn't want the extra clutter and I want to be able to use it on my other bike. Most homers have the gd model. I can use w/o stopping for the most part although there is at least one time per ride that I wished I had the remote.
    Get the 4 inch with the 1 inch stop. Both drops are very useful and it seems like most people feel that 3" is more for XC rather than AM.

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Team Sanchez
    Hey pizza, I run the GD with remote. Get the remote. You will love it. The GD post is less of a crutch than 5-7 inches of suspension, so go for it.

banned
    QR seat tube collars work well but don't have the Homer Gadgetron Deluxe factor.

personally, I think having brake levers and shift levers is plenty for my hands to do while riding, other than grip the handlebar I mean. I like the idea of the Gravity Dropper but don't like the idea of using one. $200 is a lot more expensive than $35 (QR seat tube collar).

but I am not a Homer so maybe you should ignore me and listen to the others. besides, most of my rides are long climb, drop the seat, longish descent. not a lot of climb and descend alternating.

TM1
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Can someone who uses the GD post a pic. of his/her bar ?
    Do you use left mount of right ?
    How does it fit with the brake/gear shifters ?

(can you imagine a bar with brake lever, shifter, GD lever, Pop-Loc by rockshox, remote for your rear shock .... what next ? Top-Gun riding academy ?)

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    The GD post is less of a crutch than 5-7 inches of suspension, so go for it.
    I find this statement quite interesting. in some strange way it seems to betray a naivete about others and their riding skills.

a "crutch" is something that helps you achieve what you couldn't do without the crutch.

Lookin for that extra can
    May 2004
    I was skeptical about these seat posts, but I gave in and got the 3" descender from Larry. I noticed I was in a catch 22 when trying to get back over the rear tire. One, I was becoming a bit gunshy when back in that position cuz the seat would smack into me. Two, if I didn't get back, my other option was Over The Bar Scar Club. Being able to easily the seat out of the way is a big help to me. The descender is workable while riding, but it is going to take some practice. My understanding is that the two posts are internally identical.

--rip

Bodhisattva
    The Gravity Dropper is a nice convenience but is not a crucial must-have item.

I enjoy having one and use it regularly but I can still get on just fine without one.

To the original poster, I'd recommend the multiposition 4" drop. I mount the lever on the right inboard of the brake/shifter controls like most do.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Definately not a crucial must-have. Neither was the 5spot.
    But... The Gravity Dropper improved the fun factor of my riding above and beyond anything else (except the spot and flats).
    Another vote for multiposition 4". Rode both this and the 3". My height is 5' 11.5" and the 4" adds to the confidence. The 1" drop is great for singletrack riding - easier for body english, and you can still pedal OK.

Lay off the Levers
    Here's my opinion on the GD:

If you go up and down frequently and ride lots of technical terrain with frequent stop-and-plays, it's a nice conveinence.

If your hill profile looks like this, you'll love it:

IMO with a small drop I can attack things more agressively than I could with my seat up. Sort of like going from a hardtail to a FS ... you can still ride the same stuff but you can hit it a lot harder. No I don't change the height on every up or down but I do use it quite a bit now.

Is it a crutch? Maybe. Maybe not. Stopping to change my seat height every 5 minuets would be a PITA so I was quite used to not changing my seat height. Problem is I either never had enough height to stoke out a long climb or had limited mobility on technical challenges.

By this I mean, with 9" of post showing I could still get off the back of the bike no problem but I was so far back and so high up that the seat could leap up and pop me in the chest, in addition to the fact that I was hanging way off the back of the bike, reaching farther out for the bars and had far less weight distribution.

Now with a 1-sec trigger release I can drop the seat 1" which makes a big difference in being able to move more forward and lower and still be off the back of the bike...better balance. I can still grab the seat with my thighs for body-english, and still have enough stroke to clean a techy climb. This really helps for big step-ups, or sections with table rocks or series of large logs . I don't drop to the -4" mode very often but it's nice to have, especially since I'll be moving over to the Pack.

Here's another recent thread
    And one other
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Bodhisattva
    And if your hill profile looks like this, and if you raise/lower the bar enough times, the GD can double as an EBM !
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    If you go up and down frequently and ride lots of technical terrain with frequent stop-and-plays, it's a nice conveinence.

― Albert Einstein

Team Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    I find this statement quite interesting. in some strange way it seems to betray a naivete about others and their riding skills.

a "crutch" is something that helps you achieve what you couldn't do without the crutch.
    Exactly. Glad that we see eye to eye on this.

Lay off the Levers
    [quote=...the GD can double as an EBM ! [/quote]
    Mmmmm....a DOUBLE EBM!

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Hey! I just got one and there is definately NO EBM!!!

But on a sidenote, I got the 1"/4" remote model and I measured the drops; the 1" is 'spot' on, but the 4" only measures 3 5/8".

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn hack
    Hey! I just got one and there is definately NO EBM!!!

But on a sidenote, I got the 1"/4" remote model and I measured the drops; the 1" is 'spot' on, but the 4" only measures 3 5/8".
    I don't understand.
    Can you post a picture with graphs & equations ?

― Albert Einstein

TM1
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

What about a pic. ?

Can someone post a close-up pic. of the GD lever mounted on his bar ?

I'm trying to figure out where to put the lever.

Right or Left ?
    Above or below the bar ?

What's the best way to mount it ?

I've got a Stiffee
    So the going rate on these things is $250 or does Larry have em cheaper?

Team Sanchez
    Call Larry. He'll hook you up.

banned
    that's something I would agree with.

I wouldn't want to have to move my saddle more than 3 or 4 times in a 4 hour ride. where I ride 99% of the time, 2x per ride is a lot of changes. but if I did ride an Elevation Profile like Bikezilla's offering, maybe I would consider a GD.

or if I was doing as Krispy is, racing SuperD where pedaling efficiency under monitored time is a crucial factor.

mtbr member
    I bought the 4" after reading one of the pervious GD posts and its bloody brilliant. I used the 1" drop loads more than the 3, I can only see the 3 being used for steep sections; drop offs or table top jumps etc.

Lay off the Levers
    Nice shots. Very interesting grips...comments?

banned
    Nice shots. Very interesting grips...comments?
    I'd call them "festoonery" or, in Office Space vernacular, "flair"

they rank right up there with the manssiere, the men's hosiery garter, and the hairpiece.

mtbr member
    They're Ergon grips, very comfortable. I like the fact you can rest your palm on the bit that sticks out, I’ve only used them on 3 rides, but they seem good.

This is the technology behind them http://www.ergon-bike.com/tech.php?la=en

Aligning the wrist, hand and arm plays a huge role in the ability of a grip to provide comfort and control. The large control surface of the ergon grip is designed to perfectly support the hand and evenly distribute pressure.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast