Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ride

Got the Spot up and running. Nice, very nice.

I got my 5 Spot built up a few days ago and have about 5 hours on it so far. The shakedown ride was yesterday and it did not dissapoint. On a virgin ride, I generally like to go somewhere where the terrain is uber familiar (Hall Ranch, CO) so I can analyze the bike in all situations. I opted for a different break in ride yesterday, though, and took the Spot to a trail I hadn't been on in over a year. South St Vrain for those familiar with the Front Range. The South St Vrain trail is tough and rocky. It would be a good test for the new Spot.

The ride starts with 20 minutes of dirt road climbing, then another 45 minutes of technical singletrack climbing with a nice long 20 minute rocky ballbuster descent. Good stuff. The bike ripped. First thing I noticed was the high bb. I loved it. With 5.5 inches and a tall bb, I was able to easily pedal thru rocky climbing sections that had me carefully picking a line before. Same thing going down. It stuck. Everywhere. I only had 1 dab on the entire descent. I can't even remember the last time I did that.

Today, I headed back to the same area for more riding on different trails. All were of similar character, though - rocky, technical and undulating. Today was different, though. The skies opened up and poured on me big time. Pretty cold stuff at 10,000 feet, too. The lightning storm got bad enough that I ditched my bag and bike and huddled under a tree for about a 1/2 hour. By the time I braved it back on the trail, there was so much hail it looked as if it had just snowed. All the while, the Spot dissappeared underneath me. Good thing, too, considering the trail was nothing but standing water, babyheads, and boulders. Nobody wishes for conditions like that, especially on a strange bike, but I felt right at home.

I'll be spending a lot more time on the 5 Spot. It's good. Sorry there's no couch shot.

Here's a few pics from the last couple of days.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

No, that's not phonetic
    Get your $2 ad money ready. Once you have tasted 26", yer Sultan's days are numbered.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

ride
    It's already gone. Great bike, but the Spot is more my style. For me, it's not necessarily the wheelsize so much as the ride itself. I generally like 29ers but I like the Spot better than the Sultan. Even after a handful of rides.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Lordy I miss that trail.

Nice stuff, Dave
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Silence and Thunder...
    awesome poofta money shot!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ...every day sends future to past...

gravity curmudgeon
    Good looking spot Dave!! Backdrop isn't have bad either ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The new Spot is a sweet ride- you will soon see how it outclasses the old one, HL or not. I'll have to bring mine up one of these days and we can let the kids play. I have never ridden Hall or St. Vrain anyway- Vrain looks like a fantastic trail. Good choice of tires though I'd be a bit wary on wet rocks with those. Maybe the next Deathmarch....

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Get your $2 ad money ready. Once you have tasted 26", yer Sultan's days are numbered.
    I'd have to agree 100%

Nice report, ig. That is one fine looking bike.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    killer pix....

trail fairy
    Another hawt SPOT

OK bad joke

Another convert reconverted umm, how ya liking the afterburners?
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    sweet spot!

Bodhisattva
    Nice pix Dave.

Is the whole of SSV/SD melted at this point?

Let's get up there together sometime in the next few weeks. I'll take my Sultan and will happily wait for you.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

Surfin' da mountain
    And a mighty sporty seat too!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sweet, I'm inviting myself as well- thanks!

mtbr member
    Sweet bike! Sweet pics. The hail included is icing on the doughnut!

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Is the whole of SSV/SD melted at this point?

Let's get up there together sometime in the next few weeks. I'll take my Sultan and will happily wait for you.
    Sourdough and lower SSV are all dry finally. Upper SSV and some of the other high up bits are almost there, so we'll be riding them soon enough.

Hmmm, I close the shop at 3 on Sundays so I can get a late day ride in. You guys want to come up late on a Sunday in the next couple of weeks? I'll happily tour guide.

Thanks for the good words on the bike everyone. I'll have some more impressions up as I spend more time on 'er.

~dave
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    Sourdough and lower SSV are all dry finally. Upper SSV and some of the other high up bits are almost there, so we'll be riding them soon enough.

Hmmm, I close the shop at 3 on Sundays so I can get a late day ride in. You guys want to come up late on a Sunday in the next couple of weeks? I'll happily tour guide.

Thanks for the good words on the bike everyone. I'll have some more impressions up as I spend more time on 'er.

~dave
    I'll get in touch. I can't make it this weekend or 4th of July weekend - but maybe right after that
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    its always cool to hear about a new bike but nuthin compares to knowin the rider digs it so much. congrats man!

and who uses bottle cages anymore? oh yea, i do.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member

~dave
    I'm in for this sunday if you don't mind the slow guy coming with you!
    Tryin' to keep the tires on the ground.

ride
    Yo Jay, this coming schedule is already in the books for a recon mission but we'll hook up after that.

Here's a thought - Sundays are usually fairly slow. I'm happy to close all day on a Sunday to lead up a Front Range Turner get together deathmarch. We could spend all day trolling the Peaceful Valley/Brainard Lake trail system. I can bring grilling fixins and
    Dales Pale Ale.

Just a thought...
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Silence and Thunder...
    well heck, if you're bringing the bbq and beer, I might just show up too !!

* i wish....
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    Yo Jay, this coming schedule is already in the books for a recon mission but we'll hook up after that.

Here's a thought - Sundays are usually fairly slow. I'm happy to close all day on a Sunday to lead up a Front Range Turner get together deathmarch. We could spend all day trolling the Peaceful Valley/Brainard Lake trail system. I can bring grilling fixins and
    Dales Pale Ale.

Just a thought...
    I'm in! I am always up for new trails and BBQ, I'm sure I can talk John into it as well. Have you tried that new OB Tenfidy? Any good? Saw it reviewed in Dirtrag.

So you sold the Sultan? Never did get that testride in.....
    Tryin' to keep the tires on the ground.

Amphibious Technologies

Uh oh

It's already gone. Great bike, but the Spot is more my style. For me, it's not necessarily the wheelsize so much as the ride itself. I generally like 29ers but I like the Spot better than the Sultan. Even after a handful of rides.
    Keep an eye out for the 29ner mafia. They might come and break your Spot.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Outcast
    Hey front range fella's, I'm taking friday off from work and will be riding the S.D./SSV baby-head gravy, if any of you want to join in.
    even you 29'er geeks are invited.
    Last edited by Renegade; 06-24-2008 at 11:23 AM.

Baked Alaskan
    I'll be spending a lot more time on the 5 Spot. It's good. Sorry there's no couch shot.
    Sweet ride and some great shots. You just reminded me that I don't have a couch shot of my new rig. Of course since the big red monster is no longer with me, I have to go covert to get a shot on the GF's boring tan couch.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast