Results 1 to 39 of 39
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    36

    Got my Ti Spring from 123Bikes

    Just weighed my 550# T Spring on my lab balance. 302.62g

    Anybody knopw the weight of a steel 550#? Mine is on my bike at the shop.

  2. #2
    Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Reputation: Aquaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,970

    Got mine too

    I received mine as well, yesterday. 3 month wait.

    The weight of my 550 spring on a digital postal scale is 12.0 oz.

    The weight of the Ti spring is 10.7 oz.

    Not sure what that equates to in grams.

    That makes for a whopping 1.3 oz weight savings. $153.86 per oz!!!!

    One side note.....Due to the increased spring length I had to back the preload adjuster all the way out to get the spring on.


    Yipes. I know I am completely outta control now!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    1.3oz. X 28.3gms.= approximately 36.8 grams. Not much of a savings for the price.

    I wasn't aware that the length had to be increased on the Ti springed models to be equivalent to steel.
    It looks like they sold him a spring with a 2.5-2.75 iinch stroke capability.Ti vs Steel/in a given stroke Ti can be shorter.He should ask 123 what stroke that spring was designed for.If you use the correct stroke the weight savings will be greater.

  4. #4
    Baked Alaskan
    Reputation: AK Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,812

    it does look too long

    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer
    It looks like they sold him a spring with a 2.5-2.75 iinch stroke capability.Ti vs Steel/in a given stroke Ti can be shorter.He should ask 123 what stroke that spring was designed for.If you use the correct stroke the weight savings will be greater.

    Look at DGC and Pete's Ti springs, they seem shorter. Weight is about half of the steel equal, at least it was for a friends Fox. I'd send it back. Just my .02.

  5. #5
    Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Reputation: Aquaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,970
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer
    It looks like they sold him a spring with a 2.5-2.75 iinch stroke capability.Ti vs Steel/in a given stroke Ti can be shorter.He should ask 123 what stroke that spring was designed for.If you use the correct stroke the weight savings will be greater.
    I know, I was surprised at the length and minimal weight savings as well. I shot them an email inquiring as to whether this 550 spring was "one size fits all" deal or what? I really didn't get much of a response. I'm going to contact them again.

    I'm somewhat disappointed with the whole transaction, though. I placed my order in early december, my CC had been processed and 3 months later I've got a whopping 1.3 oz weight saving for my $200.00. No one to blame but myself.

    I've seen pictures of DGC's bike as well. His 550 spring is considerably shorter, and I imagine a few oz lighter to boot.


    DGC, if you watching....what are your thoughts?
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

  6. #6
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,730

    Cool factor is extrodinary but the weight savings is pathetic....

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    I received mine as well, yesterday. 3 month wait.

    The weight of my 550 spring on a digital postal scale is 12.0 oz.

    The weight of the Ti spring is 10.7 oz.

    Not sure what that equates to in grams.

    That makes for a whopping 1.3 oz weight savings. $153.86 per oz!!!!

    One side note.....Due to the increased spring length I had to back the preload adjuster all the way out to get the spring on.


    Yipes. I know I am completely outta control now!
    Geeze! You could pull of a hunk of dirt and save more weight.

    Jaybo

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    452

    I'd send that spring back - Buyer Beware

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaak
    Just weighed my 550# T Spring on my lab balance. 302.62g

    Anybody knopw the weight of a steel 550#? Mine is on my bike at the shop.

    It looks way too long.

    I was ranting about this subject about a month ago. I was upset that 123 was talking about how great the ti springs were and how there would be a significant weight savings. 123 didn't list lengths or weights. That was the first clue.

    I was concerned that the weight savings would not be large. Well guess what?

    What's the point of having a Ti spring that basically weighs the same as the stock spring? Wow....$200 for a silver colored spring. Maybe I'll paint my stock spring silver and save the $200.

    I hope that 123 takes care of you. This is total bull sh!t. Buyer beware when anyone tries to sell stuff without giving specifics

    Let us know how you fare with 123..

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    452

    Just terrible

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    Geeze! You could pull of a hunk of dirt and save more weight.

    Jaybo
    I think that it's a complete ripoff. For $200, you can upgrade to better components for the bike.....components that will save more weight than that Ti spring.

    I was considering getting that spring from 123. Boy am I glad that I didn't! I'll only buy a ti spring if AND when I get full specs for it....weight, rate, length, and probably a guarantee of some sort......not a silver spring that for all intents and purposes is no different than the stock spring.

    Heck....you could almost see that weight savings just by switching form a 2.25" spring to a 2.0" spring.....no ti.

    I'm gonna go ride. I hope that 123 remedies this or I'll scratch them off for all future purchases.

  9. #9
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,730

    Bonking ... not feelin' well Sounds like BS bike marketing crude....

    Quote Originally Posted by WarrGuru
    It looks way too long.

    I was ranting about this subject about a month ago. I was upset that 123 was talking about how great the ti springs were and how there would be a significant weight savings. 123 didn't list lengths or weights. That was the first clue.

    I was concerned that the weight savings would not be large. Well guess what?

    What's the point of having a Ti spring that basically weighs the same as the stock spring? Wow....$200 for a silver colored spring. Maybe I'll paint my stock spring silver and save the $200.

    I hope that 123 takes care of you. This is total bull sh!t. Buyer beware when anyone tries to sell stuff without giving specifics

    Let us know how you fare with 123..
    The bike industry is full of misinformation and marketing. For example, I just held a Manitou Black Elite and a Fox Vanilla in my dirt stained paws. Both are supposed to be 4.1 lbs or whatever. The Black Elite was noticably lighter. I could go on and on about this weight marketing crap. Most of it is just designed to seperate us suckers from our dough. I'm feeling ornery today.

    I have fallen prey to this fictitious marketing a bunch of times. Kind of like the dog that keeps running into the car bumper.

    Jaybo

  10. #10
    dressed to play
    Reputation: guitarhero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    201

    Naff all i can do over here

    Just reading this thread in the U.K. and feeling slightly sick when UPS phones wanting a credit card for import duty and VAT for my TOO BIG ti spring.....nightmare, although i currently have a 2.25 steel so i might save another 5grams or so (trying to make myself feel better) Are there any possible advantages of running a longer spring? Maybe we could run a smaller bump stop for more active travel (getting desperate now)

  11. #11
    Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Reputation: Aquaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,970

    The jury is still out.....

    OK, just got off the phone with 123Bikes.

    This 550 Spring is being returned. I have not ridden on it other than a quick driveway prerun. I'm going to try the 500 lb'r, which is 256 grams(47grams lighter than the 550).

    The way it was explained to me was that they went with the longer length spring to accomodate multi length shocks. While primarily designed for us 5 spotters, the same spring will work on an ID. "One size fits all".

    Had I known that, I probably would not have spent the $$$ on this.

    My concern is that I am somewhat in between spring rates. I run the 550(steel) with absolutely no preload. The preload collar just kisses the spring. I'm going to try the 500lb spring with a bit of preload. I just hope that it's enough spring for me.

    BTW, the 500 lb spring is the same length as the 550.


    Still, not a signifiant overall weight savings at the end of the day.

    Me thinks a can of silver paint may have been the hot setup.


    Stay tuned!
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 03-09-2004 at 01:26 PM.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    36

    This POS is going back

    Quote Originally Posted by WarrGuru
    It looks way too long.

    I was ranting about this subject about a month ago. I was upset that 123 was talking about how great the ti springs were and how there would be a significant weight savings. 123 didn't list lengths or weights. That was the first clue.

    I was concerned that the weight savings would not be large. Well guess what?

    What's the point of having a Ti spring that basically weighs the same as the stock spring? Wow....$200 for a silver colored spring. Maybe I'll paint my stock spring silver and save the $200.

    I hope that 123 takes care of you. This is total bull sh!t. Buyer beware when anyone tries to sell stuff without giving specifics

    Let us know how you fare with 123..
    I'm glad I kept the box. I am sending this POS spring right back where it came from. Talk about misleading.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Davide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,551

    Thank you,I know not to order one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    I received mine as well, yesterday. 3 month wait.

    The weight of my 550 spring on a digital postal scale is 12.0 oz.

    The weight of the Ti spring is 10.7 oz.

    Not sure what that equates to in grams.

    That makes for a whopping 1.3 oz weight savings. $153.86 per oz!!!!

    One side note.....Due to the increased spring length I had to back the preload adjuster all the way out to get the spring on.


    Yipes. I know I am completely outta control now!

    I would send it back, nor even 2 oz is a joke. However it looks there long (does it fit the romic?) and <2oz does contraddict a posting from long time ago (classic forum) that claimed:

    Romic w/ Ti spring 552 grams
    Romic w/ steel spring 729 grams

    which is a more sizable gain. But this is crazy, the only reason to go titanium is weight savings and there should be an official site with specific comparisons (including lenghts, and spring rates) ... man ... less than 2 oz ....
    Last edited by Davide; 03-09-2004 at 04:42 PM.

  14. #14
    Lay off the Levers
    Reputation: Bikezilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,132

    Upset $200 Can O' Paint...

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    OK, just got off the phone with 123Bikes...

    ...The way it was explained to me was that they went with the longer length spring to accomodate multi length shocks. While primarily designed for us 5 spotters, the same spring will work on an ID. "One size fits all"...Me thinks a can of silver paint may have been the hot setup.
    Oh what a total crock of crap...now did they REALLY expect someone with a stock spring to try one of these and be satisfied?

    Someone there should have realized that anyone who'd be willing to shell out 200-doobies for a friggin' spring would probably want to weigh it to justify the cost. Now I wonder how much the EW steel spring weighs? And can anyone explain why it's so difficult to get a proper Ti spring? It's not a strategic metal anymore what's the deal?

    Silver paint indeed. I hope they don't sweat your refund. Sorry to hear about the experience. And if they don't come clean, you should post this in the "General" board.

    Since DGC left, 123's been looking sort of rough.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    36

    Interesting

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaak
    Just weighed my 550# T Spring on my lab balance. 302.62g

    Anybody knopw the weight of a steel 550#? Mine is on my bike at the shop.

    Just looked again at 123bikes.com website. They list the weight of the Ti spring 256 g. I did not use a scale to weigh mine. I use a $4,000 analytical balance! The spring does not weigh 256 grams. It weighs exactly 302.62 grams. That is a difference of 46.6 grams. (1/10 of a pound) Also, I have a hard time beleiveing that they just got this number. When I ordered my spring, no weight was listed--not even a ballpark figure. Why? Oh well, mine is going back anyway. I won't be shopping at 123bikes again.

    "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me." ~Chinese Proverb

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Larsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    256

    Ti spring weight

    I have also been salivating for the Ti spring for months. Went so far to have it overnighted to me (cabin fever). With my Rapala digital fish scale (actually pretty accurate).
    Steel Romic 500 lbs.x 2.25= 12 oz.
    Ti 550 lbs.= 10 oz.
    WOW (2 oz.)! It barely fit, the length is about 1 1/2" longer. It does look better but not $199 + shipping better. Also the new 5 spot has no American flag on it and the medium weighs about 5 oz. more than the '03 I had (7 lbs. 6 oz. vs 7 lbs. 1 oz. before ti upgrade) Are the frames or front triangles being sourced out? I can't imagine the powder rear and 5 spot stickers adding 5 oz.

  17. #17
    Lay off the Levers
    Reputation: Bikezilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsey
    I have also been salivating for the Ti spring for months. Went so far to have it overnighted to me (cabin fever). With my Rapala digital fish scale (actually pretty accurate).
    Steel Romic 500 lbs.x 2.25= 12 oz.
    Ti 550 lbs.= 10 oz.
    WOW (2 oz.)! It barely fit, the length is about 1 1/2" longer. It does look better but not $199 + shipping better.
    Sorry to hear about this. I hope you get it taken care of.


    Quote Originally Posted by Larsey
    Also the new 5 spot has no American flag on it and the medium weighs about 5 oz. more than the '03 I had (7 lbs. 6 oz. vs 7 lbs. 1 oz. before ti upgrade) Are the frames or front triangles being sourced out? I can't imagine the powder rear and 5 spot stickers adding 5 oz.
    Good questions... I could imagine the powdercoat would weighing 2 oz though... It's some pretty thick isht, especially the Red and Blue as they are double layer treatments. You might have noticed the Turner website quotes the weight of a medium black frame and points out other colors weigh different. But I have no idea. As for the stickers, I have spares of both sets, the new stickers feel lighter.

    ...And I'd be highly suprised if DT started with overseas fab. I'm pretty sure they are still using Sapa in Portland.

    From the new website:
    Quote Originally Posted by www.turnerbikes.com
    "Where are Turner frames designed and built?
    The frame ideas and designs come from a world none of us can really understand, no not another planet but David Turners mind. All of the design works is done in Temecula CA. In a tiny office with insufficient air conditioning in the summer and not enough heat in the winter. Out of the same office we handle all of the marketing, sales, quality control and final assembly. Every frame is loved with pride and joy until it has been delivered to its proud new owner. As for the actual fabrication, our frames our built by a facility in Portland Oregon and yes in their spare time they tinker with spacecraft and jet airplanes.
    "
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jennasdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    502
    Don't have them in hand now but I've had a 550 and a 700lb Ti spring for the 1.5 stroke Romics. Both were considerably shorter and with fewer turns then the steel spring. In fact, the Ti spring would only allow about 3 turns of preload before you ran out of threads on the shock body.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Larsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    256

    Hey Steve3

    I was going to drop you an email but yours is disabled. Anyway Supergo has '04 Burners (red, blue and black) on sale for $949.95. They said they bought out the whole batch, sounds like a killer deal. The shock is a Fox RL. I would guess it still has Pro Pedal but don't know that for sure.

  20. #20
    banned
    Reputation: Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Oh what a total crock of crap...now did they REALLY expect someone with a stock spring to try one of these and be satisfied?

    Someone there should have realized that anyone who'd be willing to shell out 200-doobies for a friggin' spring would probably want to weigh it to justify the cost.

    Since DGC left, 123's been looking sort of rough.
    Uh, maybe the weight weiners are in a tizzy but there are plenty of folks that would shell out $200 and not weigh the spring, other than holding the steel in one hand and the ti in another and realizing that the ti is a bit lighter..

    I look forward to riding with David again this Summer and the service from 123 hasn't changed since he left, from my perspective. He was handling the tech side of things rather than the sales side of things after all.

  21. #21
    banned
    Reputation: Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsey
    I have also been salivating for the Ti spring for months. Went so far to have it overnighted to me (cabin fever). With my Rapala digital fish scale (actually pretty accurate).
    Steel Romic 500 lbs.x 2.25= 12 oz.
    Ti 550 lbs.= 10 oz.
    WOW (2 oz.)! It barely fit, the length is about 1 1/2" longer. It does look better but not $199 + shipping better. Also the new 5 spot has no American flag on it and the medium weighs about 5 oz. more than the '03 I had (7 lbs. 6 oz. vs 7 lbs. 1 oz. before ti upgrade) Are the frames or front triangles being sourced out? I can't imagine the powder rear and 5 spot stickers adding 5 oz.
    That is hilarious!

    Whining about a 5 oz difference?

    Christ, these kinds of questions beg the question:

    Are folks interested in how frames ride or interested in obsessing about who much they weigh?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Larsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    256

    Weight

    I wouldn't exactly call it whining. Just curious why the 5 oz. increase in weight from a '03 Silver 5 spot with polished rear and a '04 Red 5 spot with powder coat rear. My main question is the frame didn't have a flag on the seat tube and thought maybe they were sourcing out the front triangle. Isn't this board for info and questions like that?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    28

    Pitcture of Romic with Ti Spring 6.5/1.5

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    Look at DGC and Pete's Ti springs, they seem shorter. Weight is about half of the steel equal, at least it was for a friends Fox. I'd send it back. Just my .02.

    Just bought this shock on ebay here's the link if you want to see what it looks like.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3664793695 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3664793695

    It looks a lot shorter with fewer turns. don't know if it is lighter or not.

  24. #24
    Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Reputation: Aquaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,970

    So let me ask you this......

    Would you rather run a heavier spring with no preload, or a 50 lb lighter spring with a bit of preload? And why?
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    452

    Both

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    Would you rather run a heavier spring with no preload, or a 50 lb lighter spring with a bit of preload? And why?
    I do exactly that. I run a 500# spring with no preload most of the time. Occasionally I want the bike to be more plush, so I switch to a 450# spring with 3 turns of preload....saaaaaweeeeeet!

    One spring rate is not "right" and the others "wrong". It's preference. I just love the ability to switch springs. You can't do that with air shocks without affecting sag.

  26. #26
    Feeding your addiction
    Reputation: Ventanarama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    2,663
    Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    thanks a bunch man. I'll check them out!

    I'll probably place my order in the morning. i called them up and it appears that they are Float RL without propedal. I tried to get more info, but there wasn't any, so I'm left to think they are non propedal models.
    They are 2002 Float RL shocks.
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

  27. #27
    eat my pantaloons
    Reputation: erol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    107

    yep, so disappointed and not what I expected...

    but, can't send it back for a refund - store credit only. I am just mad that I spent that much only to find out that it doesn't save much weight because they tried to cover more than one shock stroke with a single spring length.

    guy from 123bikes.com: "yeah, dude, it's gonna be like 1/2 pound lighter than steel. You better pre-order soon."






    Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    1.3oz. X 28.3gms.= approximately 36.8 grams. Not much of a savings for the price.

    I wasn't aware that the length had to be increased on the Ti springed models to be equivalent to steel.

  28. #28
    Lay off the Levers
    Reputation: Bikezilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,132
    Quote Originally Posted by erol
    but, can't send it back for a refund - store credit only. I am just mad that I spent that much only to find out that it doesn't save much weight because they tried to cover more than one shock stroke with a single spring length.

    guy from 123bikes.com: "yeah, dude, it's gonna be like 1/2 pound lighter than steel. You better pre-order soon."
    $200 for a custom one-size-fits-all spring.

    I'm shocked about the store credit only thing. You should fight that. Start with you CC. Find out where and when they first told you no refunds. This is just wrong. If he told you to expect it to be that much lighter you're entitled to reject the product if it dosen't meet that expectation. Don't make it easy for them. They sure didn't make it easy for you.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    452

    Agree with Bikezilla AND

    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    $200 for a custom one-size-fits-all spring.

    I'm shocked about the store credit only thing. You should fight that. Start with you CC. Find out where and when they first told you no refunds. This is just wrong. If he told you to expect it to be that much lighter you're entitled to reject the product if it dosen't meet that expectation. Don't make it easy for them. They sure didn't make it easy for you.
    you can go after them for misrepresenting the spring. Don't let them off of the hook. Call your cc company and have them deny payment.

    Have you called and spoken with someone at 123? Preferably the owner. I can't imagine that they would want such bad publicity.

    Does DGC still work there? I'm really curious as to what he would say about this. I remember DGC posting about the advantages of the Ti spring. His absence from this thread is interesting. Hopefully, he just hasn't had the time to see this post.

    Bottom line......You were treated to the old bait and switch. Call them and have them make it right. Post back here with updates. We need to know whether or not to do future business with 123.

    Thanks

    p.s. I just went through some of the archives and DGC did talk about the advantages of ti springs. THere are even pictures of his Spot with a ti spring. DGC hasn't posted here for about 2 weeks or so. Hopefully, he'll come here and help us to understand the issue a little better. I was thinking about buying a ti spring......but not from 123bikes...unless they make things right...and soon.
    Last edited by WarrGuru; 03-11-2004 at 01:21 PM.

  30. #30
    BSG
    BSG is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    347

    I Got What I Ordered

    Well my ti spring arrived. 500lbs. It weight right on at 256g. Im sure people are dissapointed about the weight. When I ordered it from 123bikes Mike did mention some weight loss but his main points were durribility over steel. He never quoted me half a pound. Lets face it. Ti Springs for romics are a new thing and if you preorder them you are taking a risk. I have a feeling that these springs have been a headache for many. Its hard to Justify spending 200 bucks for a spring so people expactations were too high. Is it worth 200 bucks for 4ounce difference and increased spring life. Probably not but man it does look sweet(thats one of the main reasons you bought it anyways be honest) I was not misrepresented by 123. I have no problems with the product that was delivered to me. Sure they should refund the money but a store credit there aint bad(oh no I have to spend 200 bucks on bike gear what should I do!!) Just my 2 cents
    BSG

  31. #31
    dressed to play
    Reputation: guitarhero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    201
    Got my spring today as well, and now it's on the bike i have to agree with BSG, it looks soooo sweet it's hard to be too dissapointed. Yeah sure another couple of ounces lighter would be nice but that's not the only reason i bought it.
    Not sure about 123's explanation about stroke length though. When i ordered online it was being advertised as 2.25, not 2.5/2.75 or whatever it is, why order the longer springs and then not let people know they would fit the longer shocks?

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EBasil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,088
    But preload on a coil spring doesn't change the spring rate, so it will still go full-travel on the same amount of force. If your bike is dialed in and works right at a 550lb spring rate, the 500 with preload will bottom out sooner than the 550 would. The preload just steepens the initial compression curve, right?

    If you want to save weight, why not slap a 5th Air in the bike and then put the Romic back in for "big days"? The 5th Air will take like 7 pounds off... besides, you need to lighten up the rear of the bike to accomodate the effect of the Maverick fork you need for the front.

  33. #33
    eat my pantaloons
    Reputation: erol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    107

    The weight savings is really with the 500lb springs...

    I guess they didn't realize that the 550lb steel spring for the 5-spot is shorter than the 500lb. In fact, the 550 weighs less than the 500. So there is little weight savings when going to Ti in the 550lb. And even with a lot of preload I still don't think I could use the 500lb Ti. If I find someone that has an Ellsworth ID that could use it I might sell it to them - the weight savings for that shock would be significant because the ID uses a longer stroke shock (2.25"?) and thus a longer spring.

    I may start calling some spring mfrs to see what's involved in winding Ti springs in small batch sizes - what the non-recurring engineering and setup costs are and the per piece cost. If it makes financial sense I could conceivably produce my own just for the 2" romic. I don't know how many I could sell though (10, 20, 100, 200?). How many 5-spot riders are out there?


    Quote Originally Posted by BSG
    Well my ti spring arrived. 500lbs. It weight right on at 256g. Im sure people are dissapointed about the weight. When I ordered it from 123bikes Mike did mention some weight loss but his main points were durribility over steel. He never quoted me half a pound. Lets face it. Ti Springs for romics are a new thing and if you preorder them you are taking a risk. I have a feeling that these springs have been a headache for many. Its hard to Justify spending 200 bucks for a spring so people expactations were too high. Is it worth 200 bucks for 4ounce difference and increased spring life. Probably not but man it does look sweet(thats one of the main reasons you bought it anyways be honest) I was not misrepresented by 123. I have no problems with the product that was delivered to me. Sure they should refund the money but a store credit there aint bad(oh no I have to spend 200 bucks on bike gear what should I do!!) Just my 2 cents
    BSG
    Last edited by erol; 03-11-2004 at 10:56 PM.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    But preload on a coil spring doesn't change the spring rate, so it will still go full-travel on the same amount of force. If your bike is dialed in and works right at a 550lb spring rate, the 500 with preload will bottom out sooner than the 550 would. The preload just steepens the initial compression curve, right?
    Right.


    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    lf you want to save weight, why not slap a 5th Air in the bike and then put the Romic back in for "big days"?
    A 5th Air does not work as well as a Romic for the Spot. A romic with a PROPER ti spring is not much heavier than a 5th. (maybe half a pound)


    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    The 5th Air will take like 7 pounds off... besides, you need to lighten up the rear of the bike to accomodate the effect of the Maverick fork you need for the front.
    Is that a typo or are you on drugs? A Romic shock does not even weigh close to 7 pounds. II'm guessing that it was probably a typo.

  35. #35
    Lay off the Levers
    Reputation: Bikezilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,132
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrGuru
    Right.

    ... A Romic shock does not even weigh close to 7 pounds. II'm guessing that it was probably a typo.
    Hell even a Z1QR20 doesn't weigh 7 pounds.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Spongebob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    650

    Upset Got mine too!

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    I received mine as well, yesterday. 3 month wait.

    The weight of my 550 spring on a digital postal scale is 12.0 oz.

    The weight of the Ti spring is 10.7 oz.

    Not sure what that equates to in grams.

    That makes for a whopping 1.3 oz weight savings. $153.86 per oz!!!!

    One side note.....Due to the increased spring length I had to back the preload adjuster all the way out to get the spring on.


    Yipes. I know I am completely outta control now!
    Well, my 550 X 2.0 or is it 2.25 or is it 2.5? came in. I can't even get it on the shock body. So I called. 'you have to put it in a vice, get another guy to compress the spring while you slip on the washer'. Oh yeah, that's good. On my dopey scale it came in at 295 or so. I asked them about a return for full credit, not store credit, so they mentioned a 15% restocking charge! I don't think so. I asked them nicely to consider doing the right thing, since this was the 1st time I had ordered from them, CS, the spring was not what we expected, not speced right, etc. He said he'd have to talk to the owner, who I asked to talk to right then, of course he's not there, and he'd get back to me on Friday night (didn't) or Monday. Well, we'll see if they do the right thing.
    I'm annoyed with myself as well. Never buy something new/untried from a company you haven't dealt with. The fever clouded my judgement.
    Anyone want to buy a Ti Spring? Watch the classifieds.........
    SB
    We told you 650b rocks! Riding converted RFX for years!

  37. #37
    Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Reputation: Aquaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,970

    And, there's more............

    I heard from a creditable source that Renton still may not have wound the very ends of the Ti springs correcty. "The very top flat area needs to be slightly smaller or revealing a bigger ID measurement only at the very ends where its flat, and the underside of the flat ends need to come in contact with the coil below it, not major bad or anything, but it produces a creaking spring if not done right. I think the deal is the Ti material in spring form is very hard to manipulate and work with".

    Ohh Great. Now even if I decide to keep this overpriced POS, I'm going to be reminded of the $200.00 hole in wallet everytime the shock moves.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

  38. #38
    BSG
    BSG is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    347

    I was wrong. I admit it

    Well I just wanted to say that I had titanium-idus. I did not recieve the spring I was expecting. It simple too long meaning too heavy for two hundread bucks. I called Casey at turner and he too had ordered a ti from 123bikes. He has returned his. Well Im returning mine. I guess RCS is making a new batch. I guess it will be a little while. Does anyone else have a good line on ti-springs. I see some nice ones on bikes. Were are they from
    BSG

  39. #39
    eat my pantaloons
    Reputation: erol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    107
    123bikes is doing the right thing. I am returning mine. I don't mind waiting for the right spring. That spring was even longer than the 2.25" spring for the Ellsworth ID. I couldn't get it on my 2" shock.

Similar Threads

  1. Swap Ti Romic Spring 6.5x1.5x700lb
    By jennasdad in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 08:56 AM
  2. 5 Spot - Ti springs - conflicting reports
    By cooldaddy in forum Turner
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 02:50 PM
  3. 5 spot : spring ? forks ?
    By tne in forum Turner
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 06:49 AM
  4. When a spring is not a spring
    By WarrGuru in forum Turner
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 07:53 AM
  5. My 123bikes baby is here
    By Duncan in forum Turner
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2004, 08:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •