Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

got a creak when mashing the pedals?

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  YamaDan 
#1 ·
I did. cleaned and regreased all pivots, chainring bolts, rings, etc...still there - sounds as if its coming from the main pivot BUT NO --- not in this case.

Clean and grease the surface between the der. hanger mount and the frame itself -- it's that simple.

Thank you Emil and Miles @ Cycle Progression, Austin Texas.

Iron Metal Bicycle chain Steel Gear

See less See more
#4 ·
Glad you found that. Not long after I got my DW Link Sultan, it started creaking when I would pedal it. After tearing apart and shimming the lower link, replacing pivot axles and generally getting frustrated, I finally discovered the derailleur hanger was the cause.

Thanks for pointing that out and hopefully saving others the time and effort tracking it down.

#8 ·
This issue gets covered every now and then on this forum. I lather the interface between the derailleur hanger and frame up with Parks Blue Poly and I haven't had a problem since. Make sure you keep degreasers out of this area. It's amazing how sound travels. You could swear it is coming from the main pivot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.