mtbr member

Goodridge brake line on OROs or switch to Hope?

I'm considering an evolution more than an upgrade:

1. My bike is at the LBS for maintenance and I want to put Goodridge on it.Can anyone comment on the benefits? I know Tscheezy is raving about it but what about the rest of you?

2. The other option is moving directly to Hopes (minis or M4s) with the aviation option and sell the OROs.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by accident prone

1. My bike is at the LBS for maintenance and I want to put Goodridge on it.Can anyone comment on the benefits? I know Tscheezy is raving about it but what about the rest of you?

2. The other option is moving directly to Hopes (minis or M4s) with the aviation option and sell the OROs.
    I can't speak to the Goodridge lines, but if you decide to spring for the Hopes and live or ride in the mountains (and have some weight behind you like I do) go for the Mono4's. Since moving out to Oregon, I've found the Mini's to be less than ideal for downhill's more than about a mile long. Pump and fade central.

Or maybe I'm just too tubby and use my brakes too much.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Whatever you do, don't go for the Hope's, recently there was a thread in this forum about no brake good enough for a Turner... the disadvantages of the Hope and some other brake discs where stated very well! They only offer a lack of power!

Why do you want to sell the Oro's? Not satisfied? Or is it just not enough bling? ;-)

jra
    I'll echo what the previous posts state regarding the Minis and long descents. I would *think* that the M4's would work well in this application, however. Mebbe I'm wrong about that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Another vote against the minis - squeal like pigs (even w/aftermarket pads, and rebuilding by Hope) - major fade on long steep drops - I am NOT a fan

My buddy likes his El Caminos quite a bit (but major coin is involved there) - I hear good things about Juicy 7's (as long as you don't get a "pulsating" pair)
    I seem to have the best success with standard Hayes w/Goodridge lines - there are some issues with them - but they are predicatble...

mtbr member
    The fact is that my LBS is also my buddy and I could trade in my OROs but you guys got me thinking.
    And after some search it seems the minis are off the chart. The M4 still sounds OK but with the aviation thingy, the floating rotos and the proper brake pads which means way too many bucks.

I guess I'll stick with the OROs which I am happy with and put the Goodrige hoses too see what the fuss is all about.
    The hayes are too "on-off", I don't really like the jucys and I wouldn't trade down my OROs to Maguras.

Was wondering though if I could put the Hope aviation hose on the formulas? or is it Hope specific?

Bodhisattva
    I'm actually thinking of getting the new super-blingy Oros for my SS build. The other contender is the mono mini. Folks in wetter climes report problems with the Mono minis although, in their defense, they are made in Britain which is plenty wet so I reckon they know what they're doing AND the mono minis I've ridden have been silent. Must have something to do with the dry Colorado climate. Setup and pad selection likely has something to with it too (like all disc brakes).

Since they're going on a SS & I weigh 160, I'm not worried about fade.

What do you see as the pros/cons of the Formulas ?
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    I'm actually thinking of getting the new super-blingy Oros for my SS build. The other contender is the mono mini. Folks in wetter climes report problems with the Mono minis although, in their defense, they are made in Britain which is plenty wet so I reckon they know what they're doing AND the mono minis I've ridden have been silent. Must have something to do with the dry Colorado climate. Setup and pad selection likely has something to with it too (like all disc brakes).

They do squeak a bit from time to time but nothing major.
    Overall in terms of performance, power and durabilty I have been extremely satisfied. I run 180 -160 and I often go the Alps and they endured 60 kms of downhill in one day without the slightest trouble.
    Heat dissipation is good and even with the regular hose it is not spongy.

Once agai nthose are my impressions, they are subjective and personnal.
    You'd be better off if you copuld demo a pair.
    I guess the ORO PURO will keep the same feel but with the extra bling factor.

MK_
    carpe mañana

You've ridden Darren's custom M4s, I am sure. Have you compared those to say Louise FRs, Juicys or XTs, for that reason? I was way impressed at how much power he is getting out of those M4s, but they still come up way short compared to my Louise FRs. I was majorily dissapointed with Mono Minis and M4s, and as much as I love them for their bling factor, they just don't perform well in stopping category.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    You've ridden Darren's custom M4s, I am sure. Have you compared those to say Louise FRs, Juicys or XTs, for that reason? I was way impressed at how much power he is getting out of those M4s, but they still come up way short compared to my Louise FRs. I was majorily dissapointed with Mono Minis and M4s, and as much as I love them for their bling factor, they just don't perform well in stopping category.

_MK
    Yes, and I agree with you.
    Actually, I pretty certain Darren uses Mono Minis and not M4's.
    Regardless, they feel better than other Hopes I've tried but not better than my Juicy 7s or Louise FRs.

My experience with the Mono Minis are a bit different than what others have described. Other complain of fade. I haven't had that problem. On the contrarary, I think they're pretty weak when cold but get better as they heat up. In comparison, power is there from the onset on both my Avids & Maggies.

But my priorities for a SS are different than my Pack. I'm going ultra-lightweight on everything and so the J7s are likely off the list. The short list includes Marta, Mono Mini & the new Formulas which look dope.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

MK_
    carpe mañana
    But my priorities for a SS are different than my Pack. I'm going ultra-lightweight on everything and so the J7s are likely off the list. The short list includes Marta, Mono Mini & the new Formulas which look dope.
    I ran Marta SLs on my racing hardtail and loved them. They replaced the Minis, which later went on my townie, but due to excessive squeal caused by chemicals on bike paths to melt snow, I sold them. Martas offer a very impressive amount of power for their size and are lighter (I think) than Minis. I am in a minority about the brake feel of Minis, which I really liked. I didn't dig the carbon levers on Maggies, but cheaper Martas have aluminum ones (as the only difference these days). They also have 180mm rotor option, but you either have to spec that right off the bat, as you'll run the rear caliper up front, or get the 20mm extension, which adds weight.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    I would still recommend Hope brakes, but just wanted to be specific about application. At 200lb the mini's aren't cutting it for me anymore now that I've switched from right coast to left coast. The riding out here is totally different. I have the Mono4's on another bike and I couldn't imagine a better brake. They're perfect all the time except for one, very specific phenomenon which I won't bother describing.

By the way, I've been using Hope brakes for about seven years now and definitely have had my share of noisy ones. However, both my set of mono mini's and my set of mono4's are wonderfully silent except immediately after a stream crossing...for just a minute or two.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

mtbr member
    My experience with the Mono Minis are a bit different than what others have described. Other complain of fade. I haven't had that problem. On the contrarary, I think they're pretty weak when cold but get better as they heat up..
    ....I too have had great success with my Mono minis (180F-160R). I weigh in at 220Lbs currently & do plenty of 5-7 mi. descents with them. NEVER have experienced any fade. Mine are also perfectly silent. To add to Squeaky's comment re: temp. & brake strength....the Hope stock pads are of the sintered (metallic) variety. The are very long wearing, but as a result, need to warm up before you can experience any real stopping power. The setup & bleed on these brakes, tho not extremely difficult, is absolutely crucial to maximum performance. Once you have that dialed, they are so sweet.

mtbr member
    Bike Verbier, that has lot's of English tourists in the Alps, has renamed Hope to Hopeless. That says enough.

My personal favouirte are Magura Louise/Louise FR.
    Regards,
    /Tobbe - In Mud We Thrust / Carpe Diem

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theTnT
    Bike Verbier, that has lot's of English tourists in the Alps, has renamed Hope to Hopeless. That says enough.

My personal favouirte are Magura Louise/Louise FR.
    ...well, I think the Louise FR's are a decent brake...however, the plastic lever assembly/ reservoir definitely gives me pause.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    the only plastic on the louise fr is the reservoir cap. and the hose, i guess.