It's carbon dontcha know.

Good homeowner/renters insurance for bikes?

Figured I might as well ask as it's up for renewal

I've got several bikes at home, I also occasionally fly with a bike packed in a hardcase. Are there any insurers who will cover the bike while it's being flown and while I'm on vacation etc?

Currently with Travelers through Geico but not sure if they cover the bike while at the mercy of baggage handlers.

mtbr member
    I have a renter's insurance policy with Liberty Mutual and I asked them about this because I have belongings spread out between my storage unit, detached garage, and my house. And I also wanted to know if my bikes were safe while on my bike rack or in the middle of who-knows-where.

They said my policy covered all of my personal belongings regardless of where they physically reside. Which is pretty cool.

My advice, take LOTS of pictures of your things (i.e. bikes -- I mean what else do you really care about And list out in detail the value of each one to the component level. Then email all the info and pics to yourself using an online email provider like gmail to make sure it's still around if your house burns down.

I don't know about coverage while it's being flown -- I would imagine if it's damaged due to negligence on the part of some knucklehead at the airline that it's probably not covered. You probably have to purchase extra travel insurance to cover it. But if the plane crashes it probably would be. Not like you'd care about your bike if your plane crashed though...

smitty

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have State Farm and also was told that it doesn't matter where my belongings are, they're covered. I also pay an additional $2 (I think) a month to have the full replacement value of my belongings versus a depreciated value. I got all kinds of cross eyed looks when I got my policy because I wanted a fairly large amount of coverage with none of the usual high dollar items (computers, jewelry, furs, firearms....yes, seriously, baseball cards, plasma tv, etc.) Just bikes, stereo, sunglasses. Hope that helps.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Geico say mine are covered anywhere in the US for theft etc, but not for loss. So I questioned whether it's a theft or a loss if my bike doesn't make it to the other end of a flight. That's suddenly a loss which I'm not covered for. The only option I was given to have a bike covered for loss was a separate policy, for my 4 bikes they wanted another $1000 per year...

edit: I'd heard State Farm were good previously, thanks Lucky I might give them a call.

Ridin' in iRie meditation
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky7
    I have State Farm and also was told that it doesn't matter where my belongings are, they're covered. I also pay an additional $2 (I think) a month to have the full replacement value of my belongings versus a depreciated value. I got all kinds of cross eyed looks when I got my policy because I wanted a fairly large amount of coverage with none of the usual high dollar items (computers, jewelry, furs, firearms....yes, seriously, baseball cards, plasma tv, etc.) Just bikes, stereo, sunglasses. Hope that helps.
    I have Farmer's and bike is fully covered. +1 on getting full replacement value v. depreciated. +1 also on all the high value items. It's usually just a few more bucks, but well worth it if you have expensive toys and electronics.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    try american family. i pay $21.25 monthly for 40k worth, its all covered no matter where, when, how or why. even when i drive a flux into a brick wall. take out the deductable and the rest is covered at full value.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    I dont have anything for travel insurance, but for home I rig up a bucket of BBQ sauce over the door. Then I keep my not so friendly 95lb dobie cross hungry all the time. I pitty the foo who messes with him

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    try american family. i pay $21.25 monthly for 40k worth, its all covered no matter where, when, how or why. even when i drive a flux into a brick wall. take out the deductable and the rest is covered at full value.
    You have 40K of BIKES?

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    not quite that much but close. maybe too close. lots of tools, spare parts and electronics... and stuff.
    No, I'm NOT back!