Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    414

    Is this a good deal on 5spot?

    FOR $2499. I know it is not top shelf components but is it a good end of season deal? I am thinking about getting it. One of the reaons is that it is a HL spot. I know there is a big debate going on the forum with faux vs HL but I know that HL works from my previous XCE and current Truth experience.

    Frame 2005 Turner 5 Spot in Black
    Fork Manitou Super Black w/ 90-120mm RTWD
    Headset Cane Creek S2 Sealed Bearing
    Rear Shock Fox Float RP3
    Rims/Wheels Mavic XM117 Rims
    Front Hub Shimano Deore
    Spokes 14G Stainless Steel
    Tires Hutchinson Scorpion Airlight, 26 x 2.0", Kevlar
    Crankset TruVativ Stylo
    Bottom Bracket TruVativ ISIS GigaPipe SL
    Chain Shimano CN-HG73
    Front Derailleur Shimano XT
    Rear Derailleur Shimano XT
    Rear Cogs SRAM Powerglide II 7.0 9-spd
    Shifters Shimano XT Dual Control 27 Speed
    Handlebars TruVativ XC Riser Bar, triple butted 7050 alloy
    Tape/Grips WTB
    Stem TruVativ Wavo
    Brake Levers Shimano XT Dual Control
    Brakes Avid Mechanical Ball Bearing Disc Brakes
    Pedals Time Aluminum
    Saddle Fi:z'k Nisene Saddle
    Seat Post TruVativ XR Double Clamp
    Seat Binder Turner Aluminum

  2. #2
    Full Monty Bike Bore
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    483

    Could do with adjusting...

    The forks a bit short.

    Fox 130 seems to be the norm.

    I suppose +/- 10mm ain't too big a deal. It'll be lively tho.
    [SIZE="1"]Knobblies MTBing Blog

    "Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields[/SIZE]

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,333

    Fork, Tires and Rear Cogs

    Great price for a good, workman-like spec. Not much chi-chi, but no real crap either.

    Weak spots IMO are fork (longer needed), tires (almost anything else--they are fragile), and rear cogs.

    If you could upgrade to a Fox Vanilla or Float 130, some Kenda tires (or your personal faves) and an XT rear cassette, it might be worth another $200.

    Start at $100, and enjoy the new toy!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    414
    Yeah , fork is a bit short. I'll have to find out about an upgrade.I was also thinking about selling the Manitou fork myself and getting a zoke all-mtn online.I agree that tires are no good. They will be swapped with WTB weirwolfs. How about wheelset? Is it average or below average? I looked it up ,it is worth only $100 now at nashbar.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,333
    Quote Originally Posted by stoked
    Yeah , fork is a bit short. I'll have to find out about an upgrade.I was also thinking about selling the Manitou fork myself and getting a zoke all-mtn online.I agree that tires are no good. They will be swapped with WTB weirwolfs. How about wheelset? Is it average or below average? I looked it up ,it is worth only $100 now at nashbar.
    Wheels are OK. Not crappy, not anything special. I personally have had terrible luck when pushing Mavic rear rims hard. As have several friends. They tend to crack around the eyelets. Many others swear by them though, so TIFWIW.

    I'd take the wheels as offered, concentrate your trades on the other areas I mentioned, and shoot for some Hadley/DT wheels for Christmas!

    Oh, and the AM1 is pretty tough to beat, but it's kind of two steps longer than the Black. I personally like the way the Spot handles with a slightly longer than intended fork (design length is right at about 505 mm, or whatever Fox 130 forks measure out at).

  6. #6
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,260
    Quote Originally Posted by stoked
    FOR $2499. I know it is not top shelf components but is it a good end of season deal? I am thinking about getting it. One of the reaons is that it is a HL spot. I know there is a big debate going on the forum with faux vs HL but I know that HL works from my previous XCE and current Truth experience.

    Frame 2005 Turner 5 Spot in Black
    Fork Manitou Super Black w/ 90-120mm RTWD
    Headset Cane Creek S2 Sealed Bearing
    Rear Shock Fox Float RP3
    Rims/Wheels Mavic XM117 Rims
    Front Hub Shimano Deore
    Spokes 14G Stainless Steel
    Tires Hutchinson Scorpion Airlight, 26 x 2.0", Kevlar
    Crankset TruVativ Stylo
    Bottom Bracket TruVativ ISIS GigaPipe SL
    Chain Shimano CN-HG73
    Front Derailleur Shimano XT
    Rear Derailleur Shimano XT
    Rear Cogs SRAM Powerglide II 7.0 9-spd
    Shifters Shimano XT Dual Control 27 Speed
    Handlebars TruVativ XC Riser Bar, triple butted 7050 alloy
    Tape/Grips WTB
    Stem TruVativ Wavo
    Brake Levers Shimano XT Dual Control
    Brakes Avid Mechanical Ball Bearing Disc Brakes
    Pedals Time Aluminum
    Saddle Fi:z'k Nisene Saddle
    Seat Post TruVativ XR Double Clamp
    Seat Binder Turner Aluminum
    while if you add up the retail prices of the stuff you may be convinced that it is a good deal, a lot of that stuff will likely stare at your for upgrades.......unless you are completely different than most people on this board that is.

    The fork is not up to par with the frame

    The wheelset really is crap, with the rims used being the absolute bottom of the barrel at Mavic (ie, first digit represent "level" of rim).

    The rest you could probably live with and upgrade if you feel it necessary but the fork and wheelset are more expensive items and you will likely want better right away....but that is just my opinion.

    cheers

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle

    The rest you could probably live with and upgrade if you feel it necessary but the fork and wheelset are more expensive items and you will likely want better right away....but that is just my opinion.

    cheers
    You know, I feel the same way. That's why I posted this to be 100% sure. Fork , wheels and tires are not something I want to compromise on. I guess it is not a good deal after all.

  8. #8
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,260
    Quote Originally Posted by stoked
    You know, I feel the same way. That's why I posted this to be 100% sure. Fork , wheels and tires are not something I want to compromise on. I guess it is not a good deal after all.
    yeah....that is my take unfortunately. it is tempting just to get the frame and have a rideable 5 Spot which would be sweet......except it would really not be fair to consider the price of the bike since after upgrades, it aint cheap any longer.

    If I were you, I would contact Larry Mettler (mtnhighcyclery.com) or Chad (redbarnbicycles.com) and get a real build put together at a real good price.....you will not be dissapointed.

    keep us posted.

    cheers

  9. #9
    Roy
    Roy is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Roy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,001
    Quote Originally Posted by stoked
    You know, I feel the same way. That's why I posted this to be 100% sure. Fork , wheels and tires are not something I want to compromise on. I guess it is not a good deal after all.
    Is it a new bike? You could always take off the fork/wheels/tires and sell those and depending on what you get back, it still could be a good deal. If you can't sell those parts for squat, then I'd pass.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    Is it a new bike? You could always take off the fork/wheels/tires and sell those and depending on what you get back, it still could be a good deal. If you can't sell those parts for squat, then I'd pass.
    It is a brand new 2005 bike. Parts could be sold but not going to get much for them. I decided to pick up my choice of parts and find a frame on sale.

    Does anyone know where I could get a good price on a 5spot frame?

  11. #11
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,260
    Quote Originally Posted by stoked
    It is a brand new 2005 bike. Parts could be sold but not going to get much for them. I decided to pick up my choice of parts and find a frame on sale.

    Does anyone know where I could get a good price on a 5spot frame?
    I gave you 2 links above....there are no better guys to deal with, period.

  12. #12
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,583
    You'll get hosed trying to sell those parts.

    Figure out what you can live with on the bike as you spec'd it and what you can't.
    Then figure out what it's going to cost you to replace those parts.
    The stuff you attempt to sell is not going to fetch a great price plus you'll have the time, effort and expense of selling it.

    The frame, new, is MSRP $1800. Take that into consideration.
    So the price as spec'd is pretty good but as others have pointed out, it contains a few marginal parts - most noticeably the wheels & fork.

    After you've done the math then decide where you stand financially.

    Personally, I'd go with Fo's recommendation.
    Life....the original terminal illness

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,990
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel

    The frame, new, is MSRP $1800. Take that into consideration.
    .
    The MSRP is $1895, but can be had for less occasionally.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by stoked
    FOR $2499. I know it is not top shelf components but is it a good end of season deal? I am thinking about getting it. One of the reaons is that it is a HL spot. I know there is a big debate going on the forum with faux vs HL but I know that HL works from my previous XCE and current Truth experience.
    Seems just a bit high, I just got a near new 5-spot with a Maverick DUC fork, XT components without the cranks for $2300. I added some XTR cranks I got for $175 so you're looking at $2500 for a complete bike, and the Maverick fork is worth a LOT more than the Manitou so I'd see if you can get him down on price some. I'd say $2200-$2300 is what I'd pay for that spec.

    J

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •