Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Going from Revelation to Pike fork on my Spot

I got a killer deal on a RS Pike 454 U Turn fork and King wheelset with Mavic 3.1 with tubeless Kenda Nevegal and Blue Groove tires for $800 shipped. Parts seem to be in great shape with low miles. So, off goes the Hayes Superlight and Revelation fork. Add a pound a half and a lot more fork. It should be interesting to see the difference in ride. I have never had tubeless or a 20mm axle.

I will sell the fork and wheels on this site.

What should I expect? I'm hoping I can climb without screwing down the fork on every climb. I hope I don't feel the 1.5 lbs

Should be fun. As usual, you will all get my reactive, plain spoken review once I get it all installed and dialed in.

Jaybo

Lay off the Levers
    My guess:
    If you're a person who gets inspired by sturdy hardware to take it to the next level then you'll love it. if you're used to riding hard and pushing your lines, you'll appreciate the stronger foundation.

If you're used to a light front end and don't ride the aggro lines, a pound and a half is a fair chunck of change on the front end.

It's all about what you're all about. Bring your best game and you'll be in heaven. It's not Zoke heavy though. So it's not a monster change, unless your very sensitive to such things.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

It is really a fairly cheap way to try a bigger fork....

I will give it a shot! I can't imagine it will be hugely impactful in my ride quality. But, once I sell my Revelation and Hugi wheelset, I won't be into it much. Plus, even though the King rear hub is a touch annoying, it certainly is a work of art.

Jaybo

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I got a killer deal on a RS Pike 454 U Turn fork and King wheelset with Mavic 3.1 with tubeless Kenda Nevegal and Blue Groove tires for $800 shipped. Parts seem to be in great shape with low miles. So, off goes the Hayes Superlight and Revelation fork. Add a pound a half and a lot more fork. It should be interesting to see the difference in ride. I have never had tubeless or a 20mm axle.

I will sell the fork and wheels on this site.

What should I expect? I'm hoping I can climb without screwing down the fork on every climb. I hope I don't feel the 1.5 lbs

Should be fun. As usual, you will all get my reactive, plain spoken review once I get it all installed and dialed in.

Jaybo
    Just did the same basic switch. I really dig the u-turn, use it wayyyy more than I thought I would. I really just use it for steep stuff I'm trying to clean or long extended climbs.

Shot Down in Flames...
    I recently switched from a Vanilla RLC to the PIKE 454 U-Turn Air and I am loving it. The weight difference with the same wheel build (except 20mm) with CK/819 over the Vanilla set-up was 3/4 lb. I have never noticed it.

After riding the PIKE 5-6 times, I took my XC bike out for a ride with the REBA and whoa did the front feel noodly! Although I don't notice that feeling on the SS with the REBA.

I really like the U-Turn on the taller fork. I normally run it at 125-130mm for jra. It's nice to be able to drop the front for long, steep climbs. It felt a little choppered out @140, but still definitely usable.

YMMV,
    D.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

The chopping worries me a bit

I don't want to be dropping and extending the fork on rides. What a pain. I go up and down. So, in your opinion, is the Pike a touch too much fork for the Spot at 140mm? Particularly when climbing steep climbs.

Jaybo

Toby Wong?
    i think it feels too chopper at 140, but it's ok at 125-132 range. I don't mind giving it 2 turns at the bottom of a big hill to drop it, then 2 back to return the travel.

I suppose the PUSH rockers will make the bike ride more neutrally at 140

curious to hear your impression

great fork tho

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Give it a shot

Quote Originally Posted by Tappoix
    i think it feels too chopper at 140, but it's ok at 125-132 range. I don't mind giving it 2 turns at the bottom of a big hill to drop it, then 2 back to return the travel.

I suppose the PUSH rockers will make the bike ride more neutrally at 140

curious to hear your impression

great fork tho
    I wonder how the Push rockes will impact the ride of this bike. I'm thinking the upgrade will be $350 with a Pushed RP3. I wonder if the climbing will be negatively impacted by the use of the new rockers. It almost seems like it will make the bike more like a 6 Pack. That is good and bad depending how you look it. I kind of like the Spot on more the cross country side of things...

It just seems like the Spot would be a touch imbalanced with 140mm of travel up front. I may dump the King wheelset and Pike. Not sure yet...

Jaybo
    Last edited by Jaybo; 05-21-2006 at 09:07 PM.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Deal for Pike feel though...

There was a misunderstanding about the Pike 454. I wanted air and he was selling a 454 coil. I didn't even know there was a coil 454. It is probably for the best because I like light bikes and I am not a hammering kind of mountain biker. Very finese..some say wimpy

The Revelation may flex more but it does what I need it to do. I can climb great with it fully extended and it puts me at a great riding position. Plus, I don't know if I want King hubs due to that annoying buzz.

All ends well.

Jaybo

DGC
    mtbr member

Jaybo, Jaybo, Jaybo

There was a misunderstanding about the Pike 454. I wanted air and he was selling a 454 coil. I didn't even know there was a coil 454. It is probably for the best because I like light bikes and I am not a hammering kind of mountain biker. Very finese..some say wimpy

The Revelation may flex more but it does what I need it to do. I can climb great with it fully extended and it puts me at a great riding position. Plus, I don't know if I want King hubs due to that annoying buzz.

All ends well.

Jaybo
    Stop thinking so hard, your gonna drive yourself and us nuts. Buy it, ride it. Dont like it after awhile, sell it. King hubs will sell at high value. Pike is another easy sell being a fairly new and good product.
    However, if you ride faster than normal, you wont hear the buzz, just wind in your ears-the smile gets bigger too. The Pike likes to go fast. If you dont feel you go fast enough for a 20mm hub, you will change your mind when you feel how sturdy the Pike is under you. Tuning options, lots of them with the Pike u-turn air.
    You sure your going to have a 1.5 pounds heavier parts change? Remember, weight helps add stability, the extra heft will have you going a little harder than you think when decending. Oh yeah, the annoying buzz can be tamed with extra lube in the hub shell.
    Attached Images Attached Images

NDO
    Kiwis can fly - briefly!

Weight lifting

Jaybo - This may now be academic, but how do you get to an extra 1.5lb? RS list the Revelation Air U at 3.99lb, the Pike Air U at 4.27lb and Pike (coil) U at 4.65lb. The King 20mm is maybe 30g over the Hayes. The difference looks well under 1.5lb.

I have been on the King/Pike coil combination for a year and they provide nice adjustment options both sides of the Spotís 130mm sweet spot and a stiff braking platform. That said, I donít push the envelope and would be hard pressed to justify Pikes if I had a Revelation.

The Kings are another story that seems to be running and running and running on that King thread, so won't go there...
    Kia ora (Good health)

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

You guys are funny :)

Quote Originally Posted by NDO
    Jaybo - This may now be academic, but how do you get to an extra 1.5lb? RS list the Revelation Air U at 3.99lb, the Pike Air U at 4.27lb and Pike (coil) U at 4.65lb. The King 20mm is maybe 30g over the Hayes. The difference looks well under 1.5lb.

I have been on the King/Pike coil combination for a year and they provide nice adjustment options both sides of the Spotís 130mm sweet spot and a stiff braking platform. That said, I donít push the envelope and would be hard pressed to justify Pikes if I had a Revelation.

The Kings are another story that seems to be running and running and running on that King thread, so won't go there...
    I'm pretty happy with the Hayes Superlight and Revelation and don't want a coil for anymore. I have changed my thinking on that. I'm a finese rider. The King wheelset with the heavier UST tires, heavier hubs, heavier rims, and much heavier fork would add a bunch of weight I don't think I need or want. I never get pinch flats, hardly get flats, and don't find the Revelation flexy. It was a good idea though.

Jaybo

MK_
    carpe maŮana
    I'm pretty happy with the Hayes Superlight and Revelation and don't want a coil for anymore. I have changed my thinking on that. I'm a finese rider. The King wheelset with the heavier UST tires, heavier hubs, heavier rims, and much heavier fork would add a bunch of weight I don't think I need or want. I never get pinch flats, hardly get flats, and don't find the Revelation flexy. It was a good idea though.

Jaybo
    If you're interested, I've got an ultra weight weenie wheelset I am sadly getting rid of to fund a purchase of a fork. CK hubs, laced to 317 rims with Ti spokes and alu nipps. 1580g for the set, including 6 bolt adapters (disc-go-tech hubs), velox rim tape and dirt that's on them.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho