mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Going Green - new DW Sultan

I'm happy to say that after five years on a Hammerhead 100X, one year on a 29er HT, and a day on a Pivot 429, the time was right for Homership. I almost pulled the trigger a year ago on a v1 Sultan but I wasn't comfortable with the sizing. The reduced ETT on the v2 sizing put me comfortably on a large. For once, I had no excuses or compromises.

Out of the wrapper:

I was really happy how the Granny Smith Green turned out. It's not flat as I expected but very much a deep metallic.

Sorry buddy - no walk tonight!

I've got most of the parts to build it up. I hope to have it together in the next few weeks but there's no rush as there is still 6 inches of snow on the ground and no sign of spring.

more to follow!
    Last edited by jeffro; 01-27-2009 at 06:47 PM.

Silence and Thunder...
    poor puppy!

Sweet color!!
    All silver bits would look great on that!
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop
    poor puppy!

Sweet color!!
    All silver bits would look great on that!
    For the PETA members here - he was posing for me and didn't realize I was taking pictures of the frame. I still gave him a treat!

I've got a silver king headset, silver thomson seatpost and stem, a home job Jeff Jones-like polished XTR crankset (for 1x9). I'm also thinking It should look good with silver bits.

Expert Crasher
    Nice - I like that color!
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Silence and Thunder...
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffro
    I've got a silver king headset, silver thomson seatpost and stem, a home job Jeff Jones-like polished XTR crankset (for 1x9). I'm also thinking It should look good with silver bits.
    ...excellent...
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    [QUOTE=jeffro]I'm happy to say that after five years on a Hammerhead 100X, one year on a 29er HT,( and a day on a Pivot 429,)

What was it that you didn't like about the pivot? Just curious.......

mtbr member
    Ah, so it arrived. Perfect. Love the color too. I'm so jealous because that would be my first choice for my HH100x replacement as well.

Can't wait to see it all built up. Get with it man. You know about the 24 hour rule don't you?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=nomatic]
    I'm happy to say that after five years on a Hammerhead 100X, one year on a 29er HT,( and a day on a Pivot 429,)

What was it that you didn't like about the pivot? Just curious.......
    I liked everything about the Pivot ride experience except for the fact that I kept having pedal strikes on the trail that I usually ride. I checked the rear shock pressure and sag before the ride and it was per the lbs recommendation. I think maybe it was due to a low bottom bracket and sensitivity to shock pressure. If I had cranked up the pressure the issue might have gone away for me. The sultan has a slightly higher bb which I'm hoping let's me run the rear pressure however I like without any issue.

Also, the weight of the pivot is about the same compared to the sultan. I spent last riding season on a ht so I craved a more capable bike and with little weight penalty compared to the pivot it was an easy decision.

In addition to picking nits on the ride of the pivot, I still value that turner is made in the US. Then there is the bushings vs bearing argument.

Even with my comments above, I should also say that if there was no dw sultan I would have ordered a pivot after one ride. The pivot suspension felt better to me than the v1 sultan I rode, which I thought was great. I honestly feel the dw suspension design is the real deal.
    Last edited by jeffro; 01-28-2009 at 05:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Ah, so it arrived. Perfect. Love the color too. I'm so jealous because that would be my first choice for my HH100x replacement as well.

Can't wait to see it all built up. Get with it man. You know about the 24 hour rule don't you?
    Thanks mr. KRob
    If I time the build right I might be able to get away with "needing" a set of hydro brakes for the build. This expense is fresh in the memory of The Household if you know what I mean. Timing is everything

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Thanks

[QUOTE=jeffro]
    Quote Originally Posted by nomatic

I liked everything about the Pivot ride experience except for the fact that I kept having pedal strikes on the trail that I usually ride. I checked the rear shock pressure and sag before the ride and it was per the lbs recommendation. I think maybe it was due to a low bottom bracket and sensitivity to shock pressure. If I had cranked up the pressure the issue might have gone away for me. The sultan has a slightly higher bb which I'm hoping let's me run the rear pressure however I like without any issue.

Also, the weight of the pivot is about the same compared to the sultan. I spent last riding season on a ht so I craved a more capable bike and with little weight penalty compared to the pivot it was an easy decision.

In addition to picking nits on the ride of the pivot, I still value that turner is made in the US. Then there is the bushings vs bearing argument.

Even with my comments above, I should also say that if there was no dw sultan I would have ordered a pivot after one ride. The pivot suspension felt better to me than the v1 sultan I rode, which I thought was great. I honestly feel the dw suspension design is the real deal.
    Thanks for that.......

I really liked the mach 429 but when I saw the V1 sultan for $1250 I decided to get into
    my racer x replacement early! I think I am just questioning my choice. If that V2 pedals as good as the Pivot I may get fired by my wife! (your bike is badass by the way)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=nomatic]

Thanks for that.......

I really liked the mach 429 but when I saw the V1 sultan for $1250 I decided to get into
    my racer x replacement early! I think I am just questioning my choice. If that V2 pedals as good as the Pivot I may get fired by my wife! (your bike is badass by the way)

That's a great deal. I thought the v1 sultan was the best bike I had ridden until I rode the pivot. I expect the v2 sultan to be at least as good as the pivot or better for what I want. If I had a v1 sultan I don't think I would get rid of it for either. I know it's easy to say that and much harder to resist the urge.

Can Tree Member
    -1 point for posing the bike on the floor on a cardboard box, right behind a perfectly acceptable couch.

Other than that, it's tits!
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!