mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Going to get in trouble

Is it just me or do other people feel like this bike is going to get them in trouble? I have ridden this bike for a few months now and I keep getting more and more aggressive. Trails that were kicking my a$$, the ones with rock gardens that I had to pick my way through and often bailed are just not a problem now. This bike is so solid, stable and balanced that I feel like I can just blow through. The only trade-off that I can see is that this bike does not accelerate like the best XC bikes (i.e. blur, etc.). Not a big priority for the type of riding that I do.

I am still playing with the setup on the fork and shock. I run my vanilla with maximum/fast compression and mid rebound. The Romic I have set with maximum/fast compression and minimum/slow rebound. I ride any single track but love the rocky steep twisty stuff. Ultimate speed is not my need but this bike is “making” me go faster. It has taken me a while get used to the handling. My previous bike had a steeper geometry and it definitely feels different. It’s hard to describe other than a different balance between body position and steering input. All in all, this bike has exceeded my expectations.

Ouch, I am hot!

Profile Says 5-Spot

Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    Umm...what is "this" bike?
    Its either a 5-Spot or a beach cruiser. I hear you marrylandmtbr. I got over confident on my bike for the same reasons and ended up flying down a section of Porcupine Rim that had a series of three stacked up 3-4 foot drops. I also was trying to show off to my buddies. As I came to this section way too fast, I realized that I was either going to have to stop or try to somehow jump over all three drops in one superfantastic leap. Then I realized I was going too fast to stop. Then, in the air, I realized I was not going to clear all the drops in one final bound. Then, after landing hard and endoing off the front, I realized I was a doofus.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Its either a 5-Spot or a beach cruiser. I hear you marrylandmtbr. I got over confident on my bike for the same reasons and ended up flying down a section of Porcupine Rim that had a series of three stacked up 3-4 foot drops. I also was trying to show off to my buddies. As I came to this section way too fast, I realized that I was either going to have to stop or try to somehow jump over all three drops in one superfantastic leap. Then I realized I was going too fast to stop. Then, in the air, I realized I was not going to clear all the drops in one final bound. Then, after landing hard and endoing off the front, I realized I was a doofus.
    Oh yeah, I did that 3-step thing...at Ninham. The two guys in front of me made it look so easy. I stopped, looked it over, had no idea how to attack it and decided to just go for it...the bike and I arrived at the bottom at different times and on different vectors as well.

I wish I had the excuse of going too fast to stop.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Ouch, I am hot!

Excuse = Embellishment

Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Oh yeah, I did that 3-step thing...at Ninham. The two guys in front of me made it look so easy. I stopped, looked it over, had no idea how to attack it and decided to just go for it...the bike and I arrived at the bottom at different times and on different vectors as well.

I wish I had the excuse of going too fast to stop.
    My too fast excuse is partly embellishment. Its true that I did not know that the 3-step nightmare was up ahead, but I was bombing down the trail way too fast because I was trying to show off to my friends, who all took a slower, alternate line. At least you have the excuse that the two guys in front of you cleared the section. Under those circumstances, I would have felt obligated to proceed, even if I thought near death would result. Neither situation is really our fault. You see, there is this hormone called testosterone that really fu**s thing up.

Lay off the Levers
    ... was bombing down the trail way too fast because I was trying to show off to my friends, who all took a slower, alternate line... You see, there is this hormone called testosterone that really fu**s thing up.
    Alright, I've had too much fun lately I'm starting a post your favorite Stack Thread...
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Not just famous; infamous
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Alright, I've had too much fun lately I'm starting a post your favorite Stack Thread...
    With pictures please!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Excuses

The bike I am describing is indeed a 5 spot. I wish that I could say that I was above the fray, testosterone and all that, but I know better. Soon I too will have a story, it’s just a matter of time. Maybe that is one reason I like this sport and bike so much. I will have to work on some good excuses in advance, thanks for ideas.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I think I might know exactly where you're talkin about- since I rode porc twice last week.

Is it just after the first part of the descent, going into a left-hand sweeper corner with killer view of monument valley on the right? If so, that got me too- it looks fine till you get right up on it. I balked twice... no regrets. too rocky of a landing for a big huck imho.

Ouch, I am hot!

Probably It

Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I think I might know exactly where you're talkin about- since I rode porc twice last week.

Is it just after the first part of the descent, going into a left-hand sweeper corner with killer view of monument valley on the right? If so, that got me too- it looks fine till you get right up on it. I balked twice... no regrets. too rocky of a landing for a big huck imho.
    Mine was at the first part of the descent, but that is about all I can say. The easy (easier) line is on the far left. It looks fine until it is too late.