Certified Silly Bugger!

Going down (under) with a Turner

I love it here, this place is great. The riding is fantastic, the weather is awesome and the lifestyle is relaxed... What does suck is the shopping... Down here in Oz we seem to be the shipping backwater for all the really cool stuff.

Now enough of that and onto the main question...

Does anyone know if there is an Australian distributor of Turner frames or any means of getting them over here?

I know we don't quite get the same range as those in the States or Canada but surely someone must sell them here. Heaven forbid probably the coolest frame i've seen in a LBS here is a Santa Cruz Nomad (please dont hurt me for saying that )
    Mmmm..... Gatorale.....

[SIZE="3"]
    I like Pepper!
    [/SIZE]

Certified Silly Bugger!
    Something along the lines of this I guess...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mmmm..... Gatorale.....

[SIZE="3"]
    I like Pepper!
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member

Aussie importer

click through to www.dhdirect.com.au

Bill's a good cove, and stocks the basics to keep Turners turning.

Where are you based?
    Cheers,

Robbo

Eat my shorts, build a bridge and get over it - Devil

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Australian Turner distributor

Certified Silly Bugger!
    Ahhh very cool...

Thank you gentlemen
    Mmmm..... Gatorale.....

[SIZE="3"]
    I like Pepper!
    [/SIZE]

No, that's not phonetic
    There are also shops in the US which ship internationally at good rates that you can check out. Mountain High Cyclery is a favorite of the boards, and for good reason.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member

DH Direct is good

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo
    click through to www.dhdirect.com.au

Bill's a good cove, and stocks the basics to keep Turners turning.

Where are you based?
    I bought my Flux through Bill. Service was excellent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    There are also shops in the US which ship internationally at good rates that you can check out. Mountain High Cyclery is a favorite of the boards, and for good reason.
    I wouldn't bother buying a turner from overseas.

By the time you have paid for it, shipped it via USPS/Fed Ex ($250-$300US) and paid import duties ($60AUS) + 10% GST tax it works out at almost the same price as what bill sells his bikes for.

Get it from Bill. If you ask him he might do a little better on the price, and having local support and warrenty is worth it. Plus you don't have to go through all the hassle of import duties, custum declerations etc.

I bought my turner through Bill, he is a good guy.

www.dhdirect.com.au

Certified Silly Bugger!
    Cool thanks guys...
    Mmmm..... Gatorale.....

[SIZE="3"]
    I like Pepper!
    [/SIZE]

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    I looked at importing a frame recently.. Postage for a dually frame was closer to 80-100US (USPS), and I believe there is no import duty, just only 10% tax. With the new lower prices available on the flux - you could possibly save a few hundred (Au) by getting it OS... question is, would you prefer local surpport or are you happy with dealing OS.

Certified Silly Bugger!
    Tough question about supporting the local LBS.

I'd love to but I run a tight budget (uni student). Where all the money goes when stuff comes over here is a mystery to me. I smell a rat sometimes when I go bike bit shopping.
    Mmmm..... Gatorale.....

[SIZE="3"]
    I like Pepper!
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member

What rat is that?

Sorry mate, gotta take you to task about the shopping thing.

Issue one; exchange rates. Rates aren´t bad now, but even a few years ago (as I`m sure Bill can attest to) importing bike parts from the States was almost an act of charity.

Issue two; supply/demand. I dabbled in bike part importing more years ago than I care to recall, and one of the hardest things to do was to convince suppliers that a min order of US$10k a quarter for derailleur pulleys was a tad unreasonable for a market of 20 million people.

Issue three; the little guy. I understand the world´s a smaller place these days, and of course you have to shop around. You don´t see bike shop owners driving Ferraris - for good reason. They´re in it because they love it, largely - but they´re entitled to make an earn, too.

If you buy a fork in Oz, for example, and you don´t get the star nut or the manual in the box, you´ve got easy recourse. Try digging those out of Price Point or Bike Nashbar.

Shops and suppliers have to earn your busiess and work to keep it, and if they do that suvccessfully, I for one have no issue paying a few dollars more for a lot less hassle.

Ordered a few things from OS in my time, but after a couple of unsavoury experiences, I´ve largely retreated from that mode of purchasing. If you want some advice on good/bad retailers, drop us a PM. Phantom Cycles is usally mentioned in the same sentence as ´you should try...´
    Cheers,

Robbo

Eat my shorts, build a bridge and get over it - Devil

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo
    Phantom Cycles is usally mentioned in the same sentence as ´you should try...´
    Definitely.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    I looked at importing a frame recently.. Postage for a dually frame was closer to 80-100US (USPS), and I believe there is no import duty, just only 10% tax. With the new lower prices available on the flux - you could possibly save a few hundred (Au) by getting it OS... question is, would you prefer local surpport or are you happy with dealing OS.
    No way. No way. No way.

I have imported a frame to aus before, and so have friends of mine.

Bikes are too big to send USPS. The only way to send a dually with USPS is the split the main frame and rear into 2 boxes, meaning someone has to pull apart the bike on one side (more $$ for you), and you have to put it back together on the other (you really want to assemble your brand new bike??). Even then you are still looking at around $150-$200US to do that.

No way is it $80US to send the whole bike. Just no way. Maybe $80US per box x 2. It cost me $50US to get a rear shock sent back from the states with USPS after servicing, and that with no spring on it.

No import duties correct, but you still need to pay a custem processing fee which is $60. And GST is 10%.

Lets do some sums hey to put this to rest once and for all.

Flux = $1595US (new lower price)
    Shipping = $150US (lets assume you split it into 2 boxes)
    Total = $1745US = $2290AUS (@1 AUD = 0.762451 USD)
    Fedex exchange fee = 1.5% of purchase cost = $22.90

Processing fee = $60AUS
    10% GST = $229AUS

Total cost to import = $2601AUS

Cost from turner importer in Australia (Bill DHdirect) = $2799AUS
    http://esvc000169.wic001ss.server-sh...p?idProduct=68

Is an extra $200 worth local support, you bet your left nut it is. And if you ask bill to better it im sure he could do it for a little better.

All that aside, if you are buying almost any other US brand bike like intense, santa cruz etc importing IS cheaper, but turner prices are so competitive in Australia that there is just no need to import them, bill has priced them to be competitive with imports.

dhd
    Ride Junkie
    Aug 2004
    Nice thread and thanks for the kind words! ( I am Bill from dhdirect)
    Our pricing on Turners is aimed squarely at being competitive with OS mail order, so let me know what you want I'll see what we can do for you.
    As for "rich Ferrari driving" importers...........Hmmm......If Turners are the Ferrari of the bike world, then i guess I'm guilty. My car looks like crap though!