Hike 'n Bike Nat'l Champ

Go with a 32 or 36 ring after putting a bashguard on?

I'm replacing my destroyed middle ring and I think I'm going to pull the big ring and put a bashguard on. Only problem is... 32 or 36. Based on Gear ratios, the 36 makes up for nearly all of the ratios I could have on the big ring, but I was curious what the masses have done.

Have people stayed 32 or upped it to a 36?

Oh, I forgot. 5 spot for all mountain Tahoe riding ..and mix in some easy Bay Area stuff on weekdays.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by SportDerek
    I'm replacing my destroyed middle ring and I think I'm going to pull the big ring and put a bashguard on. Only problem is... 32 or 36. Based on Gear ratios, the 36 makes up for nearly all of the ratios I could have on the big ring, but I was curious what the masses have done.

Have people stayed 32 or upped it to a 36?

Oh, I forgot. 5 spot for all mountain Tahoe riding ..and mix in some easy Bay Area stuff on weekdays.
    I'll be loan man here again, I run a 36/24 or 22 depends either works fine with my cg and fd setup, never felt the need for triple again for trail riding or mini dh runs, I run an 11/32 on the rear as well bit different too most, whats new, I got big thighs, try it im sure you'll wonder why ya didn't do it sooner, I know I kicked myself

oh Blackspire CG, RF atlas crank, MRP or Gam both 36t bash guides, I run em on Spot and RFX

I recently helped out another cool Homie with a similar setup so PM me if ya need details on this setup [you run RF cranks too huh?], hopefully I was of help, not heard from him since hope ya well J
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    11-32 rear and 24-36 up front is a great 2 ring set-up IMO.

trail fairy
    Chur yeah works for me, gearing can be a little personal, gotta experiment I reckon find what works for ya, I like to be able to use it anywhere!

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    much of this is terrain specific as much as it is personal taste like dave and ta said. i just moved to a 34 on the rfx for a bit more high end so now im sportin a 22/34 - 11/34 and im diggin the change. stay away from shimano rings as theyre too soft and spoil quickly. lovin my rf 34 and just ordered some blackspire rings and bash for the dh project.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    My RFX runs a 26-36 Front with DRS / bash, 11-34 rear. I love this combo, no chain noise, never dropped a chain, even in super rough terrain, great gear ratio as well. I had a 11-32 but did find I was looking for an extra gear on some super steep, technical climbs, so switched to the 11-34. I would not run a standard 32 though, not enough top gear & would wind out quickly on fast descents.

I think I need to Upgrade
    I am running a 22t-36t right now and I kinda wish that I had a 34t. A 32t is just a little too low for the top end but a 36t in some situations is just a little to high, especialy if you live in an area that you have a lot of climbing. My vote would be for a 34t middle and bashring.

Ultimate Poseur
    24-36 Blackspire rings with 11-34 cassette. Dig it.

mtbr member

Split the difference...

...and run a 34T. I ran 22-32 w/ bash off a triple until the rings crapped out and then went 22-34. My bash guard is sized for a 36T to keep options open. I prefer to run a 11-32 for the slightly different ratios and don't really miss the 34 in the back that much. YRMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

TLL
    mtbr member
    22/34 with an 11-34 cassette. Works great if you have lots of hills or extra pounds. . . .
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    I've run 22/36 for years, on FR and AM bikes, and I feel it works great! I work in travel, so I ride in greater variety of terrain than most, and have never found myself wishing for a different combo.

Well, okay, bombing DH runs at a resort, sometimes a bigger ring up front would be "nice"... And I often wish I had an 18 granny granny up front and a 40 in back, but...

Bite Me.
    I recommend a 32 up front and an 18 out back - one speed is all you need
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Nicole? Papa?
    I run a 22/36/Bash + 11-34, but am having real problems with the chain line.

When in the 22 my chain rub on the inside of my 36 ring like a beatch on any of the bottom 4 sprockets of the cassette.

Had it into my LBS who put a spacer inside the drive side bottom bracket cup, but that's only help a little.

Starting to spoil the ride a bit TBH. I've fettled about with the front mech for ages, but no real improvement. Might drop to a 34 or even a 32 to see if that improves things. Don't want to have to add a second spacer to the BB.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeTee

When in the 22 my chain rub on the inside of my 36 ring like a beatch on any of the bottom 4 sprockets of the cassette.

Had it into my LBS who put a spacer inside the drive side bottom bracket cup, but that's only help a little.

Starting to spoil the ride a bit TBH. I've fettled about with the front mech for ages, but no real improvement. Might drop to a 34 or even a 32 to see if that improves things. Don't want to have to add a second spacer to the BB.
    Shouldn't be an issue, what cranks ya running, FD, wheelset, are you runing a cg also? RFXyear>

Plenty running that combo

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Nicole? Papa?
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Shouldn't be an issue, what cranks ya running, FD, wheelset, are you runing a cg also? RFXyear>

Plenty running that combo
    Spec and pic:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3156/...5c0ff81f49.jpg

trail fairy
    All looks pretty standard can't see any issues with that specc, I haven't installed the new XT crankset but plenty here running that with no issues, when in the lower four cogs on the rear is the chain rubbing against the inner plate of the FD, hard to tell with the bash on but the FD height looks good, not sure if you should need to space out the crank like that, chain lines on Turners are normally spot on no pun lol..No reason a 34 t is going to fix that issue are you running some weird chain rings? I suspect standard XTs!

All a bit hard to tell from that pic, would like to see a rear shot looking from center cog of the cluster down the chain to the crank! XT Fds can be a bit of a pain to set up! Sorry not much help maybe others more familar with XTs might spot something Im missing!

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Nicole? Papa?
    That's fine TA. I know you always help when you can. No rub to the inner plate of the FD apart from the very bottom sprocket. Pretty sure the FD is set up OK. Shimano XT rings yer. Will try and do a better pic.

trail fairy
    That's fine TA. I know you always help when you can. No rub to the inner plate of the FD apart from the very bottom sprocket. Pretty sure the FD is set up OK. Shimano XT rings yer. Will try and do a better pic.
    Ahh my bad I see that in ya specc list now, and ya running all the good stuff in the rear, sorta sounds like a spacing issue then if all the rest is set ok, I use one spacer on my setup and Im running a blackspire chain guide same rear running gear cept hub

Hopefully someone else can pick it
    chur

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

TLL
    mtbr member

Hmm. Let me see if I have this right--When in your 22, the chain rubs inside of the 36 when you are in the 4 smallest cogs on the cassette?
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

Nicole? Papa?
    That's right TLL - it obviously gets worse the further down the cassette you are.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Your derailleur is too low. It's designed to be run at the same height regardless of whether you are running a bash or an outer ring. Put your outer ring back on and set the derailleur to the correct 3mm clearance, adjust shifting, then put your bashguard back on. Voila, it shifts and doesn't rub.

Or, just measure from the center of the crank spindle hole, your derailleur cage (outer plate) should be about 95mm from the center of the BB axle.

JMH

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    buy the man a beer!

yer other issue may be the 14t spread. 12 is optimum. sometimes the chain will contact a ring if the dia is too large. but more than likely, its cuz yer cross shiftin. dont do that and the rub goes away not to mention everything lasts longer.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    That's right TLL - it obviously gets worse the further down the cassette you are.
    That is called cross gearing.....not supposed to do it. Every ratio you can get with 22/small cogs you can get with 36/ upper cogs. IF you are cross geared either way, you will get rubbing.

I will say however, it looks like your front der is a bit low. Many people want to set it up on a two ring bike at the directed 2-3mm above the ring.....problem is that measurement is fo the LARGE ring, NOT the medium. IF you drop the der to be close to the mid ring, it does not work correctly

That is until shimano starts shipping the SLX 2-ring front ders here soon!!!

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by davep

That is until shimano starts shipping the SLX 2-ring front ders here soon!!!
    or just get an X9 now

not yet available the Truvativ HammerSchmidt

What ever the fook that is

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs