mtbr member
    Mar 2004

give me your opinion please

In less than 2 weeks I will be recieving my large silver 5 spot with the fox vanilla rlc and all xt and other good parts woooooo Hoooooooo!!!!!!! yeah baby!! ...my question is:
    I am wondering if I should buy a santa cruz heckler and work on my smoothness with that instead of beating up my new spot? My reasoning behind that is I want a bike that Is light but I can huck it, jump it, trail ride and some urban... I can get a heckler frame for a grand and build it up with my old bikes parts and use that bike to get my suicidal stunt jollys off (nothing more than 10 feet to tranny) and work on my technique. I am affraid of breaking my spot (I weigh 260 lbs) the money is not an issue at the moment. I realize the spot is a trail bike. what should I do? some of the things I want to do I probably shouldnt do on a spot RIGHT?

Motion activated
    At 260 lb I'd suggest something strong and with lots of travel if you're going to go 10 foot to tranny - especially if you're learning. A dual crown fork would be a good idea also. So would some 3 piece cro-mo cranks. What about a Santa Cruz Bullet with a 5 element shock with a SPV Sherman up front? Light, inexpensive (relatively) pedals well and they have a good crash replacement policy.

The Turner rail is more for dirt jumping and mountain cross. IMHO If you're serious about 10 foot drops, you'll want a lot more travel than the rail offers. If you want another Turner, look at getting a used RFX.

Toby Wong?
    I suggest you get a grip on reality.