Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

give me a break !

well, I mean brake...

After the OROs master piston of the lever failing on me and going to Formula for a full rebuilt, I thinl it's time to move on.

I have previously owned:
    __martas
    __louise FRs
    __Hayes HFX9
    __OROs
    There's no going back on those, I am considering the M4s full options. The brakes must be able to endure very long DH trails as I spent my summer in the alps.I weigh 180 all geared up.

" Therefore if anyone can show any just cause why they may not be joined together, let them speak now or hereafter remain silent. "
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by accident prone; 10-14-2005 at 10:21 PM.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

MK_
    carpe maņana
    What do you have against Louise FRs?

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    HOPE M4 will boil the oil in the alps. =)

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004

Good job! Are you sure ?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel
    HOPE M4 will boil the oil in the alps. =)
    I thought the Mono M4's had more heat resistant pistons than earlier incarnations ?

My M4's (180/180) are v.nice and I no longer get forearm pump as they only need a light touch to bring you to a halt. They had a noisy phase which was cured with a thorough alcohol clean and are now fine.

The pistons don't seem to equally retract although they've improved a little with use, thorough cleans and the occassional "lazy pad treatment".

MtnHigh recently sent me some Galfer pads to try but I've not dropped 'em in yet.

All in all, I'm impressed with mine even tho I'm running stock hydro cables. UGI is calling...
    [SIZE="1"]Knobblies MTBing Blog

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    What do you have against Louise FRs?

_MK
    Not much, what I meant was that I want to move on.
    They heated up rather quickly though, but nothing major.
    Since the change is needed for once, I'd like as much as possible to try something new...

Who called me a victim?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hopes are dope. I am running Mono Mini's and have had no problems. Great feel and stoping power I am 6'4" tall 215lbs and I like the mini's for the trails here. The m4's should be a good choice for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXDirtDawg
    Hopes are dope. I am running Mono Mini's and have had no problems. Great feel and stoping power I am 6'4" tall 215lbs and I like the mini's for the trails here. The m4's should be a good choice for you.
    Thanks Dawg, you're the ...well...mmmh...DAWG.

I've got a Stiffee
    Hope Mono's are great brakes, just the stock pads are doo doo. I have Mono Mini's and Mono M4's and changed the pads in the rear for both bikes. I put EBC reds on my Mini and some Kool Stop's that are actually made for Shimano brakes (the pads are interchangeable) and have been a happy camper ever since. The stocks pads howl terribly and glaze up the rotors on long downhills.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    i have 2 sets of Hope minis that are driving me crazy. so are the EBC reds the ticket? have you tried green for the Hopes?

thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Do yourself a favour man, DO NOT buy HOPE. This is an english (british) product. I am english. WE CANNOT MAKE BIKE STUFF FOR SH!T man. Buy US made stuff, or jap, at least it works properly. I sold mine a week or so back because they are sh1t. Buy Juicys now and save some money cos you'll sell the hopes and then buy avids...

Don't say I didn't warn you.

And Farqui, how come your forks (which packed up on me) are good and your brakes are good (which are a PITA to set up and squeal like your mum)????

You are lucky mate, that's all I can say.

Not a Barry supporter.
    I've never used Hope brakes b/4 so I can't comment but I upgraded from old school Hayes (they were about 4 years old) to the El Camino's and they're the best brakes I've ever used. They don't seem to heat up or anything and need just a light touch to stop. Lots of power on these bad boys. And you can get them pretty darn cheap from Chad at Red Barn Cycles. My buddy and I are both running them and we did a 10 mile downhill with no problems.

Either way, good luck. But I'd at least consider the El Camino's.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Diverging opinions, eh?

I guess it will always come down to that.

El Caminos cooled me off because I now fear being the guinea pig for a freshly released product. Since I bought a first release batch of OROS with a defective master piston.

I wonder will any break get unanimity or even a general agreement?
    Some peeps will say it's the Shiznit while others will say it's shaite....

It leaves me bewildered...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have stock pads and have had no problems. I also have a friend on the M4's stcok apds no problems. The shop owner I race for uses Hopes no problems. Just get them you will be happy.

I've got a Stiffee
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have 2 sets of Hope minis that are driving me crazy. so are the EBC reds the ticket? have you tried green for the Hopes?

thanks in advance
    I have 3 rides now with the EBC reds on my minis, they will squeak slightly still but nowhere near as bad as the stock pads. My rotor is also nice and silver again instead of the black/glazed condition it was in before with the stock pads. Only problem is if you ride that bike a lot (I have 4 bikes so I switch around a lot) the pads aren't going to last very long. I haven't tried the EBC greens except on some old Avid mechs, and I didn't like them at all. The stopping power just wasn't there. With the reds on the minis you'll notice better bite and a lot less squeal.

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004

Shucks

Quote Originally Posted by Robbz
    And Farqui, how come your forks (which packed up on me) are good and your brakes are good?

You are lucky mate, that's all I can say.
    Lucky? Nah, not me. I can't tell you why my forks are still running and yours aren't 'cos I didn't see how you beat'em

M4's aren't as bad as Robbz makes out (he's understandably a little bitter at the mo) and mine are really bite'in again (post alcohol dip). The rear has a little grumble every now and then but I can live with that.
    [SIZE="1"]Knobblies MTBing Blog

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hopes

Quote Originally Posted by accident prone
    The brakes must be able to endure very long DH trails as I spent my summer in the alps:
    Well, I would say avoid the Hope minis at all cost then. I had both M4s and minis and the M4s are a much nicer brake IMHO. The minis pads wear quicker, they over heat, don't feel as nice and required a lot more fettling than the M4s.

General opinion seems to be that Hopes are not great brakes for alpine use. I have heard them described as "Hopeless" for alpine use before. It's true that when on holiday in a group, the people with brake problems always seem to be running hopes, although I've had very little problems with my M4s

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailDog
    Well, I would say avoid the Hope minis at all cost then. I had both M4s and minis and the M4s are a much nicer brake IMHO. The minis pads wear quicker, they over heat, don't feel as nice and required a lot more fettling than the M4s.

General opinion seems to be that Hopes are not great brakes for alpine use. I have heard them described as "Hopeless" for alpine use before. It's true that when on holiday in a group, the people with brake problems always seem to be running hopes, although I've had very little problems with my M4s
    Thanks hat's very constructive.

I think I need to Upgrade

Do It!!

well, I mean brake...

After the OROs master piston of the lever failing on me and going to Formula for a full rebuilt, I thinl it's time to move on.

I have previously owned:
    __martas
    __louise FRs
    __Hayes HFX9
    __OROs
    There's no going back on those, I am considering the M4s full options. The brakes must be able to endure very long DH trails as I spent my summer in the alps.I weigh 180 all geared up.

" Therefore if anyone can show any just cause why they may not be joined together, let them speak now or hereafter remain silent. "

I have been running Mini's and I love them. I do have a sugestion for you though... For the front brake go for the M6 with a 200mm rotor instead of the M4, it is a bigger brake and should do better with heat because of its size (rotor and caliper) and for the rear go for the M4 with a 180 rotor.

mtbr member
    thanks AzSpeed but that's not an option considering the fact that I'm running a Fox talas which would bend over such strong pressure.

I really considering XT levers with XTR calipers and a Goodridge line.
    Reliable, don't overheat from what I hear, quite cheap and quite light too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    shimano xt/xtr/saint and some redravenindustries 180 rotors and plus20 adaptors strong, quiet, feel great and very easy to setup

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Mono M4s kick a$$

I bought a set of the original HOPE M4s a couple of years ago, and right out of the package I had nothing but problems with them. They squealed like someone choking a goose. At the time I was working as a bike mechanic, and I had full confidence I would be able to remedy the situation. As you might expect, as a mechanic, it drove me nuts when my own bike didn't perform to its max potential. So I'd call HOPE about every two weeks of so, and talk to the guys there to help fix them. I would document everything from my conversations with them, the who's, the when's, and the what's ( I highly recommend this for any situation like this). I faced my tabs, I cleaned and re-cleaned my rotors, I tried the red pads, the green pads, if even mixed up a big batch of mud in my back yard to "scour" my pads and rotors (per HOPEs tech guys suggestion), and none of them stopped the squealing.
    Well after an entire year of dealing with these defective brakes, and no lie, 37 phone calls to HOPE (like I said, I documented every time I'd call them), I finally convinced them there was something wrong with my brakes. It took a lot of badgering on my part, but I finally ended up getting them to warranty the brakes. I ended up paying for a set of new rotors (after all I did have a years worth of riding on them), but they ate it on the calipers. I quickly installed them, and right out of the box, no problems. I have now been riding these brakes for about two years, and they still kick a$$.
    So after an entire year of putting up with all the hassles, the constant headaches, tinkering, phone calls, and not too mention the high price of the brakes to begin with, I finally got a real nice working set of brakes. A couple of my friends have asked me if it was worth it? I don't know how to answer that one, it was a huge PITA, but eventually it all worked out. So I would say that if you can get a set of the brakes that were made on a Tuesday or Wednesday, you're good to go. But if you get a set that was made on a Friday afternoon, and the guy building them just wants to cut out of work and go to the pub... well then, you might not be so lucky.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Magura Gustavs maybe? I highly doubt those would overheat on you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zutroy
    Magura Gustavs maybe? I highly doubt those would overheat on you.
    Those are way too strong. Awesome OTB potential.

I think I need to Upgrade
    thanks AzSpeed but that's not an option considering the fact that I'm running a Fox talas which would bend over such strong pressure.

I really considering XT levers with XTR calipers and a Goodridge line.
    Reliable, don't overheat from what I hear, quite cheap and quite light too.

The M4's are going to be more resistant to overheating and fading than the XTR calipers. I have the exact set up you just described (except for the lines) and I am able to heat them up to the point where they start to fade on longer downhill sections. For XC riding that is an amazing set up and I like it very much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast