No, that's not phonetic

Good job! Garcon? 35 pounds of your finest buttah, s'il vous plait.

Utah beats on bikes. My Tas/ETA rod came apart resulting in a tapping in my fork, my fork oil was ancient and the color and smell of the La Brea tar pits, my headset seemed to want to come loose often, both my hubs had play, I had partially torn-off knobs flapping in the breeze on my front tire, and my drivetrain was totally worn out and dipped in dust. Yes, I admit that I had done NO work on my bike prior to Utah since I figured it would all need an overhaul afterwards anyway, but things were getting grim by the end.

I stripped the frame down to the smallest piece. All the pivots were taken apart, shafts swapped around, greased-up and loctited-down. BB out and greased, rings off, cleaned, and reinstalled with loctite, cassette and chain cleaned and lubed (I don't have a spare drivetrain just yet). Hubs totally broken down and overhauled. I changed the oil in the fork and fixed the ETA/TAS rod. It all went back together nicely, and then just sat there.

The weather has been crap since I got home and since Barny is sans a bike right now, I have been trail running with her instead. I was probably mourning leaving Utah and did not want to ride in the rain just yet.

Today I put an Easton Vice stem on for some token new-parts-motivation, Barny is out of town for the weekend, and while it is very wet out, the rain stopped for a few hours so out I went for a ride. HOLY FREAKING COW! It's like having a brand new bike! Pure grins on the mountain today, Up and Down. It has been said often but bears repeating, Zoke owners, change your oil! Stupid plush, scary smooth. My Z1 FR1 is still the nicest fork I have ridden. The DHX Air has come into it's own over the past two months and matches the Z1 inch for rediculously plush inch. It's like falling in love all over again.

My loyalties drift between my 5-Spot and my 6-Pack, but right now I would not trade this bike for anything I have ever ridden, and I've ridden a few...
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Never enough time to ride
    Cool, I always love the feel of a bike after an overhaul, and speaking of which mine is about due. Cables, chain, cassette. Oil in the Zoke is fresh, and feels like butter, but the rest of it could use some love. Might be needing some new meats too. And the RC could use some pushin.

And new parts are always a good motivation to ride, and from the pictures you've posted in the past, I don't think you should need much motivation to ride, what with that purty scenery and all. Dude get out and ride this weekend, some of us aren't going to have much of a chance.

happy trails...

Squish
    Get out and ride!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    ahmen bruthah! ride ride ride! ill get yer tail out this wekend, dont you worry.

and cheese, no spare drivetrain? this from a man with 73 diff rotors he uses as cozys? truly hard to believe! im sure theres a entire xo group you forgot about burried under a crate of spare stems in the back room. if im wrong, ill mail ya my spare 8spd xt set op in the mornin to borrow till yer done with it. just spreadin the love pal.
    No, I'm NOT back!

No, that's not phonetic
    Surprised the poo out of me too. I have about 5 spare compact chainrings in 22 and 32 sizes each, a host of 8-speed chains, a couple of 8-speed cassettes, etc, but I am dangerously low on 64/104 stuff and 9-speed junk in general. If I took all the cassettes off spare wheels and checked the wear on the extra chains laying around I could probably scrape a better looking drivetrain together than what's on the Pack presently, but until something starts sucking, I'll guess I'll ride the wheels off it.

I have two "main" bikes and eat through about 2 drivetrains a year on each. It starts to add up...

so many rings, not enough spacing options.

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I have two "main" bikes and eat through about 2 drivetrains a year on each. It starts to add up...
    wowsa! yer a freakin animal pal! dont the fish miss you with all this riding you do? got a few 175mm race lite isis cranks w/ rings i got on closeout sittin in a shop drawer. you want? im sure those will last about a day under you but the rings might go longer. yeah, im kinda light on 9 spd stuff too as ive just recently embraced it over 110 bs 8 spd stuff. these hills kick my butt! im now a compact 9spd devotee!

just for kicks, i thought it would be cool to use some of this old crap i have layin around instead of buyin more un needed new crap. i dug and dug lookin for a way to use my 952 cranks when i found then ordered a 4 bolt 64/104 xtr spyder and a e 13 supercharger bash guard to bolt together with some almost new race lite rings for rhe SPaaNB project bike. way to use not only some spares but my noggin too! besides a stem, thats about all i HAVE to buy to get this piggy off the ground.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member

True

Just Porcupine has cost my freinds and I a frame, 2 tires, one wheel, one helmet, a Hayes brake lever and on the last trip an XO derailer; Man a love that trail Funny one of the reasons I bought an XO is that it's rebuildable but I didn't know the parts were so expensive, the broken part was $75. So spare part to fix 2 yr old derailer or 2, X 7's?

No, that's not phonetic
    I can usually get a year out of a cassette, but there is no way a chain and set of rings will go that long. Chain lube usually lasts for about 100 yards from the house. After that, water is my lube. Tis life.

Here are current conditions:

Here is what I have to look forward to soon:

mtbr member
    Why don't you switch to trail-skiing?
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    IHere is what I have to look forward to soon...
    Me too... I have a whole whole winter of looking at pictures of you riding in conditions I wouldn't leave the house to get the newspaper .

Maybe if thermals came in red
    Maybe if booties came in size 15
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla

Maybe if thermals came in red
    Ok, you win. Never short of a good word, are you?
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

Silence and Thunder...
    So that's what the weather's like up there! Man, that's pretty cold when the bike can just stand up by itself in the middle of the 'trail' like that....
    ...every day sends future to past...

Silence and Thunder...
    No wonder you make such an ideal test pilot for stuff.... that's got to be brutal on parts.
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member

New oil, but has anyone

experienced an out of plumb rebound damper shaft? (insert joke here)

From the first disassembly, the top cap has had to be convinced that it should move over enough to allow the threads to start. When it sits/stands where it wants it is about 1/4 of the area of the cap off of being where it should. Once its together, it works, but there is definitely a bind in there. I'm sure it isn't normal, but is it cause for concern?

Never enough time to ride
    Yowsa Tscheezy, now I understand why you blow up so many forks and crap. That snow kinda reminds me of South Dakota on a bad year. Haven't had that much lately though, been pretty dry, but damn cold!!
    I'll kill a chain and a cassette in a year, but I can usually pull two out of a good set of rings, I've had really good luck with the Race Face stuff. Last set I got three years out of before they started wearing out, that was almost 6000 miles, but then wee are mostly dry and dusty up here, with the occasional wet ride.

Orangerider, definatley something I would talk to Marzocch about. They should line right up, and not bind at all.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

Work Shed...

It might be wet

and it might eat your bike, but it is a beautiful place! I've always wanted to go up there.

hey cheese and the rest of us wet weather riders. have you ever tried rock n roll extreme in the blue bottle? the stuff is pure magic. since arriving in snowville, ive found nuthin better. its petrolium based i think, a bit messy too but if ya start with a clean drivetrain it sticks through rain, snow, hail and submersion like glue. quite possibly the perfect winter lube.
    No, I'm NOT back!

No, that's not phonetic
    Yup, I've been running Rock n Roll Extreme for a couple of years now. I agree it is the best wet weather lube going. People may also now understand why brakes which don't squeal when wet are of primary concern to me.

Clyde, the fact that the damper rod does not sit vertically could have something to do with the way the foot nut is seated at the bottom of the fork. I'd take the foot nut off, lift the whole damper out, look of unwanted debris (a metal shaving from machining) where the bottom of the rod nests in the fork lowers, and then reinstall the damper rod.