Thread: Galfer rotors

bja
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Galfer rotors

I use a Mono Mini on my 5 spot. Have some warp issues on my rotors. Has anyone tried Galfer rotors? How are they? Does it easily warp? Have not seen any reviews on it? Hope someone can help me out. Thanks!

lurker no more
    I think skullcrack has some on his Six Pack and I haven't heard any complaints from him.

No, that's not phonetic
    Shiggy has run them for years and swears by them. A search of the brakes board will get you info on them.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bja
    I use a Mono Mini on my 5 spot. Have some warp issues on my rotors. Has anyone tried Galfer rotors? How are they? Does it easily warp? Have not seen any reviews on it? Hope someone can help me out. Thanks!
    I love my Galfers, but have had to (didn't have too, but I was sick of the studdering pace when I braked lightly) replace my front one from slight warpage, and now have slight warpage in the rear. I'll stick wth them though, They WORK great, and now that I got the galfer pads...money.
    Hydrate or Die Trying

banned
    Why are Galfers so good compared to the rotors from other companies. Surely Magura (are the galfer made?) Hayes, Grimeca, etc make good rotors, no?

No, that's not phonetic
    Galfers and some rotor manufacturers are laser cut. Others are stamped. Stamping causes the braking surfaces to curve and leads to rougher edges. It may also stress the metal in odd ways. That said, I have run both laser cut and stamped rotors and never noticed a durability or performance difference.

The other thing about Galfers is that they patented the wavy shape, which they claim (they have data, apparently) provides better cooling and longer pad life.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Team Sanchez
    Crash the Dog has been running them for a while too with his Avid Juicy 7's. I have heard his get a bit sqealey, but I have never heard him complain about warping or anything else.

mtbr member

Magura/Galfer

Larry at mtnhigh turned me on to this setup.So far it's the best I have tried.The one remark everyone who rides my bike says,"These brakes feel awsome".
    180/Magura front.(licensed by Galfer???)EBC RED pads
    160/Magura rear.EBC RED pads
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lay off the Levers
    Funny thing, I recently ordered a set of Galfer brake lines... From the confusion on the order I wonder if they even delt with bicycle on a regular basis. To their credit they stepped up and corrected a "Custom"(non-stock length) order w/o any hassle. It may have been the distributer that was confused though. At one point she mentioned mini-bike and Hayes (I ordered Shimano lines)
    They still didn't seem sure what to do about the banjo seals shimano uses vs the pair of thick washers they shipped ... adds 2mm in thickness to the banjo... thus the stock bolt may be too short.

Crash, Who did you go through for the Rotors?
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

banned
    I thought EBC pads are the **** ones.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Why are Galfers so good compared to the rotors from other companies. Surely Magura (are the galfer made?)
    Galfer makes Magura's rotors... at least, they do/did for the Louise and Louise FR from 2004 to present.

and if I'm not mistaken, Galfer makes the rotors for the Avid Juicy brakes as well.

as usual, tscheezy's tech scoop is the real deal, the laser cutting keeps them truer, flatter, more precise. another benefit is that they're somehow made to be used with whatever pad compound Galfer chooses, so the best performance is Galfer rotor + Galfer pads.

Hell from above

how about dirtydog rotor

what about dirtydog rotors at dirtydogmtb.com

Members who have read this thread: 0