Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    allways exhausted

future 5 spot owners stupid questions

sorry to ask questions that must have been answered a thousand times before.

but as i'm (hopefully) going to get my 5 spot in a few weeks there are some questions that i'd like to figure out in order to get the bike going asap:

- spring rate: what type of spring should i get for the romic? i am about 187 lbs and i´m riding everything from all day rides in the german alps to difficult technical terrain at lake garda to occasional visits to the local bike parks (and not to forget to the local "biergarten" just for the "fahrradvergnügen" )

- seatpost diameter (simple but crucial)?

any tips from experienced 5 spot owners for a newbie?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by newton
    sorry to ask questions that must have been answered a thousand times before.

but as i'm (hopefully) going to get my 5 spot in a few weeks there are some questions that i'd like to figure out in order to get the bike going asap:

- spring rate: what type of spring should i get for the romic? i am about 187 lbs and i´m riding everything from all day rides in the german alps to difficult technical terrain at lake garda to occasional visits to the local bike parks (and not to forget to the local "biergarten" just for the "fahrradvergnügen" )

A 550# spring should be about right for you (if 187 i8s your riding weight). You may want to use a 500# spring for light FR.

The seatpost diameter is 27.2mm. I suggest getting a 400mm length post.

Roy
    mtbr member
    spring rate: what type of spring should i get for the romic? i am about 187 lbs and i´m riding everything from all day rides in the german alps to difficult technical terrain at lake garda to occasional visits to the local bike parks (and not to forget to the local "biergarten" just for the "fahrradvergnügen" )

Seatpost is 27.2.

Spring rate is going to be tough for you as you are on the cusp. I believe the following rates apply:

500# - 160-180lbs rider
    550# - 180-200lbs rider

If your 187lbs is *without* water/tools, than the 500 is the way to go. If that's with water/tools, frankly I would get both springs and play with each to see which you prefer. You might prefer 1 for epics when your heavily loaded, and you might prefer the other for shorter rides where you won't be weighed down so heavily.

Tschuss!
    Last edited by Roy; 05-06-2004 at 07:18 PM.

allways exhausted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    Seatpost is 27.2.

Spring rate is going to be tough for you as you are on the cusp. I believe the following rates apply (I think those numbers are right as I went through this with Romic but someone should confirm):

450# - 160-180lbs rider
    500# - 180-200lbs rider

If your 187lbs is *without* water/tools, than the 500 is the way to go. If that's with water/tools, frankly I would get both springs and play with each to see which you prefer. You might prefer 1 for epics when your heavily loaded, and you might prefer the other for shorter rides where you won't be weighed down so heavily.

Tschuss!
    thanks for the info

the weight is without equipment i'm afraid (in fact it's without everything) and more on the optimistic side too but i hope i will loose some of that when the bike arrives and motivation for riding improves

i havn't been riding very much this year because in the alps the snow ist just gone and now we have really lousy weather............. (very bad alibi..)

Lay off the Levers
    thanks for the info

the weight is without equipment i'm afraid (in fact it's without everything) and more on the optimistic side too but i hope i will loose some of that when the bike arrives and motivation for riding improves

i havn't been riding very much this year because in the alps the snow ist just gone and now we have really lousy weather............. (very bad alibi..)
    I'd think the 550#would be the way to go unless youre a really smooth rider and frequent less technical rolling trails. If you're planning on riding aggressively on rocky hard hitting terrain then this should be it. Maybe you use the 500 on the smoother stuff. As others said it might help to have both and switch when prefered.

FWIW I'm ~220 stripped, much more with a full pack, shoes water, and armor. I use a 600 and have heard that could be on the light side for me. So could see 500 as being too light for you at 187-190lbs w/o gear.
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

allways exhausted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    I'd think the 550#would be the way to go unless youre a really smooth rider and frequent less technical rolling trails. If you're planning on riding aggressively on rocky hard hitting terrain then this should be it. Maybe you use the 500 on the smoother stuff. As others said it might help to have both and switch when prefered.

FWIW I'm ~220 stripped, much more with a full pack, shoes water, and armor. I use a 600 and have heard that could be on the light side for me. So could see 500 as being too light for you at 187-190lbs w/o gear.
    does anybody know which rate the spring has that comes stock with a medium 5spot frame?

could be quite a deal to get springs for romic shocks back here as romic is absolutely uncommon round here (actually never have seen one)

Ouch, I am hot!

You May Be Off?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    Seatpost is 27.2.

Spring rate is going to be tough for you as you are on the cusp. I believe the following rates apply (I think those numbers are right as I went through this with Romic but someone should confirm):

450# - 160-180lbs rider
    500# - 180-200lbs rider

Tschuss!
    I am 185 and Turner said the 550 for me. I have also seen more people, including DGC and others, that say for our weight 180 - 200 the 550 is the correct spring. I am just an XC guy doing nothing extreme.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Lay off the Levers
    does anybody know which rate the spring has that comes stock with a medium 5spot frame?

could be quite a deal to get springs for romic shocks back here as romic is absolutely uncommon round here (actually never have seen one)
    I think stock is 550# but that can be a fluid thing as I've heard Turner sometimes ships whatever they have in stock. If you need a line on a spring call/email Larry at MHC, He'll hook you up.

http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com/

allways exhausted
    I think stock is 550# but that can be a fluid thing as I've heard Turner sometimes ships whatever they have in stock. If you need a line on a spring call/email Larry at MHC, He'll hook you up.

http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com/
    thanks for the info

i think i'll try the 550
    casey from turner told me that they will put in the right spring if the rider weight is given with the order.

i found out by now that there is a german distributer for romic and i will hopefully will have no problems getting the right spring if that in the bike won't work

by the way, what is the eye2eye lenght of the spots shock?

No, that's not phonetic
    7.5" (190.5mm) i2i, 2" (50.8mm) stroke.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

allways exhausted
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    7.5" (190.5mm) i2i, 2" (50.8mm) stroke.
    thanks tscheezy

thats good news because it means that there is some emergency replacement material in my basement just in case there is something wrong with the romic

( i was once grounded for 2 months due to a broken cane creek ad 10 and another month because of a leaking risse astro 5 and i have enough of this stuff............)

do you have any connections to germany?
    there ist a lot of german stuuf in your postings ("fahrradvergnügen" which is a variation of the bmw-slogan), the "sch" in tschheezy and the "berg heil" i saw in another thread

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrGuru
    A 550# spring should be about right for you (if 187 i8s your riding weight). You may want to use a 500# spring for light FR.
    Why would you recommend a lighter spring for FR? That makes no sense to me. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

No, that's not phonetic
    Ich war in Wolfsburg geboren und Ich habe viele verkanten in Östereich. Ich spreche noch Deutsch, aber nicht oft. Und fahrradvergnügen ist von VW
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Lay off the Levers

A blind guess...

Ich war in Wolfsburg geboren und Ich habe viele verkanten in Östereich. Ich spreche noch Deutsch, aber nicht oft. Und fahrradvergnügen ist von VW
    Since English has a lot of German origins, I'll take an ignorant stab at translating for fun . (Since there's nothing else going on) tell me how far off I am.

"I was in Wolfsburg and I lived in Östereich. I speak German but not often/much. And fahrradvergnügen is from VW "

I guess horse shoes and hand gernades are the only games where being close matters.

Roy
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    I am 185 and Turner said the 550 for me. I have also seen more people, including DGC and others, that say for our weight 180 - 200 the 550 is the correct spring. I am just an XC guy doing nothing extreme.
    I just checked and I was indeed off by 50lbs. I edited my post with the correct info:
    550# - 180-200
    500# - 160-180

allways exhausted
    VW? That puzzles me. "Fahrvergnügen" is not exactly what VW has a reputation for over here.
    But if I knew you were born in Wolfsburg i should have guessed that you would use the VW slogan rather than BMW. (I am from Munich and that's probably why I thought it was BMW)

Have you ever made a bike trip in Austria while visiting your relatives?

Lay off the Levers

... and if we just ... Bwahahah!

Hmmm... pretty close. I said "My real name is Wolfsburg and I have an intense fetish for Ostrich. I genuflect for the Dutch when they fart. And fig-newton-hotdish is like S&M." Some of it consists of idiomatic phrases, so I did not expect you to get it, but overall you got the gist. Have you considered a job translating at the UN?
    ....heh, heh...he said "genuflect" ...heh heh...
    With translations like that...world peace is assured.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog
    Why would you recommend a lighter spring for FR? That makes no sense to me. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
    Actually, it's Romics recommendations. They recommend 25% for XC and 30-35% sag for FR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrGuru
    Actually, it's Romics recommendations. They recommend 25% for XC and 30-35% sag for FR.
    Yeah, but that is not for the same bike.
    The 30-35% sag is for LONG travel FR/DH sleds.
    If you want to be doing drops on a 5-spot, putting on a softer spring would be a worse idea than giving Nick and Jessica a variety show.
    SEI Racing

Roy
    mtbr member

Now come on.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy R
    If you want to be doing drops on a 5-spot, putting on a softer spring would be a worse idea than giving Nick and Jessica a variety show.
    There is no worse idea than giving Nick and Jessica a variety show. I, therefore, can only assume you spoke in hyperbole.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    how about a rider that is between 145 and 160? a 450# spring I assume?

DGC
    mtbr member

Spring rates

Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    how about a rider that is between 145 and 160? a 450# spring I assume?
    Here is the chart (from Turner) I had posted some months back, it is not written in stone because type of riding and terrain etc. changes this sometimes.

rider weight with full gear:

140 - 160 pounds #450
    160 - 180 pounds #500
    180 - 200 pounds #550
    200 - 220 pounds #600
    220 - 240 pounds #650

For awhile Romic and Turner both were reccomending the big boy valving for people over 220 or those wanting a firmer slow speed compression feel. It wont change the spring rate, it will add more adjustability to the slow seed compression vs. stock.
    I have a local who owns the 5 Spot, rider weight of around 150 pounds and runs the #500 spring and a big boy valve set up. Just depends on the rider and what they want. I would generally run firmer vs. softer for freeride of any sort.

stock spring weight on a said frame size has sometimes depended upon what spring Turner has in stock from Romic.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by DGC
    ...For awhile Romic and Turner both were reccomending the big boy valving for people over 220 or those wanting a firmer slow speed compression feel. It wont change the spring rate, it will add more adjustability to the slow seed compression vs. stock...
    FWIW I also run a "Big Boy" valved Romic. I'm quite impressed with the adjustibility range as compared to when it had the standard "Turner" tuning. I'm 220lbs/230+ equipped.

The standard tuning required many more clicks on the compression valve to get significant changes. With the BB valving, 2 clicks make a big difference. 5 clicks and I can stand and sprint like a drunk monkey and still not feel any bob.

Just Grin and HUCK it...

BB valving???

FWIW I also run a "Big Boy" valved Romic. I'm quite impressed with the adjustibility range as compared to when it had the standard "Turner" tuning. I'm 220lbs/230+ equipped.

The standard tuning required many more clicks on the compression valve to get significant changes. With the BB valving, 2 clicks make a big difference. 5 clicks and I can stand and sprint like a drunk monkey and still not feel any bob.
    I have a 5 spot and am about 195lbs w/o gear, maybe 210 with gear and I'm riding on a 550# spring. What is this "Big Boy" valving you speak of? Is it done by Romic or is there an outside company doing it? I'm wondering if it would make a discernable difference for one of my stature.

I'm curious because of all the talk about "Pushed" Fox shocks. Sounds like this is almost the same type of thing for the Romic.

Thanks.
    MCM# 2007.1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast