mtbr member

New question here. FSA XC-300 Wheelset?

Anybody have experience with the FSA XC-300 wheelset?

I know that Turner had Demo bikes set-up with these.

I read the reviews, and they seem to be positive. I did a search, but only one post discussed the wheels extensively and the two posters were bantering the flex of the wheels.

Anybody have any experience on their Turners with the XC300?
    I weigh 185lbs and was wondering if they would be suitable for my Burner and I.

For the price and the weight, they seem like a real deal.

Thanks for the info!
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

mtbr member
    These came on my 5 Spot demo bike, and I've been riding them the past year and a half. No problems and I haven't noticed any flex, but I'm only 160lbs and don't hit drops bigger than a few feet. Build quality is spot-on. Rear freewheel engagement isn't anything to write home about, but not bad. If I were heavier, I'd probably opt for 32-spoke wheels. These are really just standard wheels that have 25% fewer spokes/nipples

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I swap between my FSA's and Stan's Olympic on my HT race bike. I have been riding them for over a year and really like them and have had no issues whatsoever. I am 170lb and notice no flex. They stay true like no other in their price range or slightly higher. The craftmanship is great. My only complaint, if it even is one, is that the stickers come off pretty easily but on most wheels this is common. Otherwise awesome wheel for an awesome price. I would recommend them over the similar light Mavic 717/WTB wheel setup.

At 185lbs I am not sure if you will notice any flex or not. You may want a slightly beefier wheel to err on the side of caution. I think the FSA's use aluminum nipples over brass. Something to consider depending on what kind of trails you are riding. If you have the bucks, have Dave at Speed Dream build you a set.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I had a set on my burner for a while and converted them to run tubeless. I noticed flex in the front and was not overly blown away by them. For the money they are o.k but i suggest you save your money for a while and invest in some resonable cost hand built wheels. I just got a set of Dt 4.1/sapim/hope pro2 wheels and they are a quite noticable improvement over the xc 300's, my bike feels a fair bit quicker now. They cost $550. I weigh 165 with gear and the xc 300 front flexed on every turn, the rear wheel was not built right either, it was slightly oval.
    Last edited by rockinrod35; 06-11-2006 at 11:40 AM.

KAIZEN!

No problems in 1.5 years!

I had FSA's come on my Flux demo the fall of 2004 and I haven't had a stitch of a problem with them! I am 208lbs and have ridden tons since then (on average three times per week - 2 - 6 hours per time), including the Trans Alps last year. They are still true and spinning great! I haven't felt any flex and would recommend them.
    Dean

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

FSA Wheelset

Hi

The FSA XC 300 wheelset lasted about two months on my 5 spot. Of course, I am 195 lbs and clumsy.

RT

Otto
    Have had mine on my Burner for 6 mos and about 400 miles and they are holding up just fine. I weigh 170 + 10lbs gear. I have not noticed any flex, they are still true and equally tensioned I think they are a decent set of XC wheels for the price. However, I definitely think they belong on a Burner / Flux sort of bike rather than a Spot if you catch my meaning. I would conclude by saying go for it if you are on a budget, but if you are willing to spend a little more I would talk to Mike Garcia at odds and endos or Larry at mountainhighcyclery and have them build you up something like Hope/pro hubs/DT 4.1/5.1s rims.

mtbr member

I agree!

It is the XC-300, so I won't be doing anything much more than the occasional 1-2 foot drop/jump.

Yet I know I am on the heavy side for this wheelset. I am going to call Mike and see what he can do for me in the 300-350 range.

One thing that worries me about the XC-300 is the rear hub engagement. I really don't like my XT hub's engagement, and reading some of the other posts, it seems the Xc-300 is nothing great.

Also, thinkin about the Cane Creek Zonos SS Disc wheelset, but those are easily 100-150 more. I have a non-disc set on my hardtail and they are great. But I would be saving for a few more months.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoreni
    Also, thinkin about the Cane Creek Zonos SS Disc wheelset, but those are easily 100-150 more. I have a non-disc set on my hardtail and they are great. But I would be saving for a few more months.
    I've got Cane Creek Aeroheat wheels on my hardtail. 10 years of abuse and they're still perfectly true, although I have dented the crap out of the sidewalls. I would definitely recommend the CC wheels, but again, the rear hub engagement is Shimano-esque (I think my old ones actually have a Shimano freewheel). Durable, but no King-like instant engagement.

mtbr member

Cane Creek

The older Cane Creeks (AeroHeat) had an LX freehub, hence the shimano-like engagement.

The new Zonos line does not have the Shimano freehub. I have the Zonos SS on my hardtail and the engagement is noticeably much quicker than the XT disc hubs on my Burner. THe Zonos SS have been very good the past year, but for the disc version, I am looking at least an extra $150 above the XC-300.

Members who have read this thread: 0