mtbr member

FSA SL-220 - What else

I am looking for a seatpost with more than an one inch setback for my 5 pack. Anyone use the FSA sl220? What other options do I have with an inch and a half setback?

mtbr member
    I'm currently using a SL220 on my hardtail, and the post has held up very well over the past year . I bent a Easton in 6 months.... I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another FSA. I weigh 200, and I am not smooth.

Black Sheep will do a custom Ti post with a Thomson head (up to 45mm of setback). Lead time on these is 1-2 weeks.

There is another custom Ti manufacturer who will give up to 35mm of setback. Link is....http://www.boldprecision.com/form.htm.

Oval Concepts make a post with between 10 and 50mm of layback, the m610 is alloy, and is 400mm long, the carbon fibre m810 is 350mm long. I don't think that they are available in the US though. I've just checked Speedgoat.com, who list the shorter version of these posts, the m710 and m910, both of which are 280mm long. I've been warned about using these posts if all of the setback is used.

If you need this much setback, then its likely that you'll also need longer chainstays to 'centre' your bodyweight on the bike (do you really struggle to weight the front wheel going uphill? Does your front wheel wash out when cornering? I'm purchasing a 29er because they tend to have much longer chainstays (1 - 1.5"), which will alleviate (to an extent) these issues.

Think about this.....if your seat is 1" further back than most other peoples, then to balance the bike you'll also need to lenghthen the stays...

mtbr member
    Hey Puddleduck, lots of good/interesting information. I do not struggle to weight the front wheel going uphill but I do get a slight front wheel wash (drift) on some high speed, seated corners.

In the pics of the SL-220 the 2 mounting bolts appear to stick up a long way - do they require any trimming.

Anyone tried a Titec hellbent Bent post?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2
    Hey Puddleduck, lots of good/interesting information. I do not struggle to weight the front wheel going uphill but I do get a slight front wheel wash (drift) on some high speed, seated corners.

In the pics of the SL-220 the 2 mounting bolts appear to stick up a long way - do they require any trimming.

Anyone tried a Titec hellbent Bent post?
    Noosa,
    I run the FSA SL 220 on my 5Spot. It combined with a shortish for me 90mm stem helped to get close to a position that's comfortable. I've been using the post for a year with no problems. No slipping, loose bolts or weird mounting problems. It just works.

I've also used the Titec Hellbent post on my old hardtail. It works fine, but is quite a bit heavier than the FSA post. And the weird bend won't allow for full drop if you want to. Did I mention it looks freaky?

Other options would be a RaceFace XY post if you can find one. I couldn't find any online but I bet some brick and mortar shops have one or two in a glass case somewhere.

Puddleduck, I have to respectfully disagree with your sizing thoery. It comes down to what feels right for the individual. I seem to always run more setback than most (longer than normal femurs perhaps?). The 5Spot 's steep seat angle combined with a straight shaft post feels like the pedals are behind me and the bike wants to throw me over the bars. Moving everything back an inch or inch and half makes a world of difference. Any potential washout issues or wandering while climbing can easily be dialed out with proper weight distribution. I wonder if the 5packs popularity is due in part to the stock 5Spot geometry and not so much of the "beefier build" reasoning.

mtbr member
    Hi Noosa2 and k1creeker,

N2, I've had no need to trim the mounting bolts on the SL220. Occasionally I may have to adjust the angle of the saddle, but that is the worst of it. Regarding the washing out, it might be interesing to slide the saddle forward on the rails to see what effect that has on cornering....

K1, I think that your theory of long femurs is correct. I'm 5'11", with a 35"inseam (which I gather is quite long). I take your points regarding 'what feels right for the individual', based on what frame he/she is running and what its seat tube angle is. I do. however, stand by my view that there are benefits in longer stays for people such as us.

Getting tecnical, its likely that your SA is 73.5, mine is 72. Given that we're both running SL220's, if the saddle is in the centre of the rails, then I'm sitting at least 1/2" further back than you. This means that any symptoms I talk about will be greater for me than for you (and probably N2)

I'll go back to basics regarding chainstay length. The higher the saddle, the further back the riders weight is. To counteract this, the chainstay length should increase to balance this, and to put more weight on the front wheel. Ask a custom builder...(easy, check out Thyalcine's web site - http://www.thylacinecycles.com/docs/...try_feb06.pdf).

K1, this is probably less of an issue for you because the 5Spot SA is steeper than normal (73.5 vs 73, and its chainstays are longer than normal 16.9" vs 16.7")

Regarding your point about weight distribution, I dont want to have to think about it. I dont want to have to move my weight forward when cornering to stop the front wheel washing, and I don't want have to have my butt way, way forward when climbing, especially when I'm fatigued at the end of a ride.

Enjoy the ride!!

mtbr member
    Thanks fellas,

Just ordered an FSA SL-220.