Thread: Fox RP23 DRCV

locked - time out
    Jan 2010

Fox RP23 DRCV

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/model/roscoe-i

It's on the Fischer Roscoe, and probably others, but the explanation is there about how it works. Wonder if it could work out well, in combination with a Push damper treatment and how it would work compared to the Fox HV sleeves, which are hit or miss, as well as if the primary and secondary chambers are tunable with either sleeves, grease, shims, etc. One could possible have a highly tunable shock in this package.

The basic premise is the secondary chamber and a plunger valve between it and the main. It's an effort to make the shock linear, but in a different manner than the HV sleeve. Perhaps to answer the mid-stroke support problems with the HV RP's and DHX airs.

Big problem is the fit. Limited frames can accept the shock, and definitely not most Turners, unless they are sasquatch.

The graph for the homers:

The DRCV chart shows that at slow shaft speeds of 5-10 in/sec (small bumps), the DRCV works like a single air can. It absorbs small bumps in a consistent, linear fashion. But for bigger bumps at high shaft speeds of 20-30 in/sec, the second air canister opens up to allow for more controlled compression, more like a coil spring.

mtbr member
    The DRCV chart shows that at slow shaft speeds of 5-10 in/sec (small bumps), the DRCV works like a single air can. It absorbs small bumps in a consistent, linear fashion. But for bigger bumps at high shaft speeds of 20-30 in/sec, the second air canister opens up to allow for more controlled compression, more like a coil spring.
    That graph is showing force vs. displacement and doesn't reference velocity. The DRCV is a position sensitive device not velocity sensitive.

Darren

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    I left those other graphs out. They are there on the fisher link.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    I'm not too keen on it to be honest.....
    I've got the shock on my roscoe 3, and yes it's smooth but it eats up the travell very easily, for me it needs more resistance in the mid stroke. I'd say that i'd prefer a normal shock, but then maybe i'd end up saying it feels too harsh compared to the smooth feel of the DRCV?
    I think once it's tuned, it'll be a great shock, but as it is at the moment feeling so linear and using up most of its travel so easily, I dont like it all that much

gnuH
    Quote Originally Posted by PUSHIND
    That graph is showing force vs. displacement and doesn't reference velocity. The DRCV is a position sensitive device not velocity sensitive.

Darren
    It looks like the plunger is compressed at approx 50% stroke, progressively(?) opening up the additional air can. It also looks like a German WWII hand grenade.

Darren, off topic, but can you tell me if the boost valve on the RP23 still works with PP off? Nobody seems to know... not even Fox support.
    A green bird with a red body. We could look it up in a book. Or we could look up

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Is the DRCV air sleeve service the same as the other FOX Float shocks?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azxd04
    Is the DRCV air sleeve service the same as the other FOX Float shocks?
    I would also like to know this one as well? Any mechanics out there who have serviced these shocks yet would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Can someone tell me if the RP23 shock would fit on a Trek fuel ex8?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Regarding the service of the RP23....the universal kits shops recieve to fix non DRCV shocks do not fix it. The Orings and other things are different diameters and thickness's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I just purchased a Rumbleshish 1 and will now be on my 3rd shock in less than 2 weeks. As soon as I got it home both times it lost 100 psi of air pressure over night and will loose that in one 10 mile ride if I don't keep checking it. I love the bike and never had this issue with my rp23 so I can only assume it is a quality issue or design flaw.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fringefan View Post
    I just purchased a Rumbleshish 1 and will now be on my 3rd shock in less than 2 weeks. As soon as I got it home both times it lost 100 psi of air pressure over night and will loose that in one 10 mile ride if I don't keep checking it. I love the bike and never had this issue with my rp23 so I can only assume it is a quality issue or design flaw.
    I'm guessing the pressure loss is from the valve? Put it in a bucket of water and find out. If it is, just replace the valve core like you can in a tyre schrader valve

Downhill Deamon
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jafs1664 View Post
    Can someone tell me if the RP23 shock would fit on a Trek fuel ex8?
    Yeap, it sertainly does, mine came with it stock BEST SHOCK EVER.