mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Fox Float X on '12 Spot?

Hi all

I have been comtemplating getting a new shock for a while now. I am one of those unfortunate souls that got the Float RL stock on my '12 Spot. Needless to say, it has not been very good, even worse than the RP23 on my late '10 Sultan.

So I have been considering the Bos Vip'R and the RS Monarch Plus. Unfortunately getting the right tune for the DW Link is not straightforward in my neck of the woods.

However recently at a bike event I had a talk with the local Fox Racing Shox importer about the new Float X. He was ecstatic about it. I had a look at it and it sure looks nice. He claimed that it has such a wide range of R/C adjustments that specific tuning is not necessary. What do you think, is there any truth in this claim?

With all the talk on the forums regarding DW Link shock tuning, naturally I am a bit sceptical. He also said that what they get from Fox for the aftermarket is one version only, and that additional tuning would incur a premium. So following that route, I would first have to test it, then figure out what i would like to change, then send it back for tuning, etc. But I just want something that works out of the box.

I would be very grateful for any advice regarding the use of the Float X on the Spot. Have not found any useful info on the forums yet.

I ride all kinds of trails, with an emphasis on downhills. I want active suspension, particularly over rough sections of trail. In this regard the Float RL just can't keep up.
    Every man dies, not every man lives

Dont Rep me
    Would this be better than CCDB Air for the Spot?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    That is a good question. I have not tried any of them. The Cane Creek website does not have tuning settings for the DB Air on Turners. There is no service center for CC in my country, that is a big minus.

mtbr member
    I think you are crazy to even consider it given Fox's long history of making craptacular air shocks.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Giggity View Post
    I think you are crazy to even consider it given Fox's long history of making craptacular air shocks.
    Helpful...

Anybody?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arnero View Post
    Helpful...

Anybody?
    Dj's post was spot on. Look at a Monarch or the DB air. You could also get the shock pushed. Regardless, the X is not the shock for the spot. The dw link will feel harsh with a shock like the X, which aims to improve pedaling efficiency.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Team Blindspot
    2014 Monarch Plus is the way to go.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Oh yeah, Pushed Monarch Plus on my 2013 5 Spot is the sickness! Only pushed cuz it wa originally on my 5.5 HL spot and tuned for it.

Dont Rep me
    What tune level are you guys getting your Monarch Plus?
    Searched and only med tune is available for 7.5 x 2, and only 7.875 is available in low tune.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I wish I could tell you but I think Push just does them custom to yourweight and riding type. They didn't seem to go my tunes of high or wed. That being said I didn't like the HL tuned one on my DW obviously way too high. But I always heard L comp and maybe M for rebound but I'm over 200lbs. so I may differ from most.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Apparently, according to DT, the Float X won't fit due to the very large bridge to the boost can.