Thread: Fox DHX air

DGC
    mtbr member

Fox DHX air

I have questioned Fox CS in the past, but they sure came through this time. Both of my DHX airs have been to Fox 2 times each in less than 3 months. This last time no one knew what was going on since they were to go to someone different for service. No one knew where they were though they were checked in almost 2 weeks ago, well finally today shows up 2 brand new 07 DHX air shocks in place of my 05's.
    They obviously felt the need to replace the entire shock, both of them. Good news, because we have such good riding right now.......hold my breath til enough snow comes in and spoils it.
    Fox says they have remodeled their service area, and turn around should now be short. More people on board doing service now too. In any case they did me good with 2 new shocks that work as they should. Kudos to Fox.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    OUCH...!!!!!!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    cool news dgc. good news for you and everyone else. swanky rockers ya got there.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Good to hear fox cs is working well. My rfx's 10 ride old 07 dhxa just developed a bulge in the seal at the base of the aircan, suddenly spooging oil and air as I finshed my ride today. It's headed back to fox and the 06 dha on the spot will go on the rfx for now. I think i'll try the rp3 aircan trick on the 06 when the other shock is returned.

Team Sanchez
    Sounds like I sold my 07 DHXa just in time. Nobody likes a DHXair laying in a pool of it's own spooj.
    Last edited by El Chingon; 11-10-2006 at 10:27 AM.

Silence and Thunder...
    2 shocks? (spot and rfx maybe...?)

Please report back and compare the new 07's to the prior models...
    ...every day sends future to past...

DGC
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... swanky eh

Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    cool news dgc. good news for you and everyone else. swanky rockers ya got there.
    Man this new camera is fun to play with......
    I think I will need to take a long lunch break tomorrow and ride the new shocks, with my new stem, on my swanky rockers..................
    Long lunch break, someone has to step up and be a team player at work and do it for the good of the shop, so I offered to be the one to do it.......
    OUCH...!!!!!!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Mixed reviews for me on Fox service

Fox fixed an old Float I had wore out for just shipping. Last winter, I got the dreaded stuck down on my RP3, sent it in, and almost 5 weeks later they finally sent it back. Free again! I just rode my Romic that I actually thinks works better on my Spot, but I'm in a state of denial about that

That set up you have is incredible. What are your thoughts about going with Push's rockers vrs. Turner's?

Jaybo

DGC
    mtbr member

Romic and more

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    Fox fixed an old Float I had wore out for just shipping. Last winter, I got the dreaded stuck down on my RP3, sent it in, and almost 5 weeks later they finally sent it back. Free again! I just rode my Romic that I actually thinks works better on my Spot, but I'm in a state of denial about that

That set up you have is incredible. What are your thoughts about going with Push's rockers vrs. Turner's?

Jaybo
    Thanks on the set up compliment. The bike rides so balanced and good right now with the 5.5 rockers and the Pike, just like it did back in 2003/04 with the 5.1 rockers and the Vanilla 125 fork.
    Your Romic denial could be a good thing......
    I have been running my Romic for the last 3 weeks til today when I got the first ride on the 07 DHX air. So in 3 weeks I got used to the feel of the Romic again. I like it a lot, but overall I like the DHX better. The DHX has nicer mid stroke performance in a wide range of conditions IMO, the small bump is a little better on the Romic, but not by a lot. The end stroke, well the Romic has no bottom out adjuster, but the Romic coil spring ramps up more steadily from the 1/2 way point to the end, it feels like a BO adjuster on the Romic is barely even needed, at least to me. On the DHX-a I run the BO adjuster mid way to 3/4 in, on the DHX-c I run it wide open just as an apples to apples compare.

The DHX I prefer it in rock gardens and at speed hitting decent sized rocks, which we have a lot of. The Romic compression does not blow off as easy as the DHX so the Romic can feel harsh in some situations, wallow in others, and be correct in others yet. With the DHX, the more linear air spring vs. the coil needs a BO adjuster and having the ability to adjust it is a good useable feature. That is probably why I wont likely buy an aftermarket RP23. Running the smaller air sleeve or stock sleeve from the RP's makes the end of the stroke ramp up too quick, rarely ever get near full travel with the sag being correct. I would definately ride an RP23 it is a good shock, but not my 1st. choice over the DHX air or Romic....*for my riding*.
    The rebound is quite different feeling between the Romic and DHX air. The Romic being a coil spring has much more energy pushing back and will have a punchy fast feel, if for the same trail you slow it down to accomodate this, then it packs up in the high speed stuff, rebound set up on the Romic needs to be more spot on for me. The DHX air feels slower rebounding, even deadish if run too slow, but I never feel it pack up, set it on the fast side.
    Put an RP air sleeve on the DHX air and the rebound feels very similar to the Romic. I made the comment a few weks back that Fox needs an air sleeve right between the RP and DHX, the current 2 are too distant from each other and cause set up problems. FOX....please make an air sleeve between these 2.

All I can say about the PUSH rockers is I have not ridden them, I reeeeeally would like a set to test. Considering the corral of shocks I have, it would be a good test.
    Christmas is coming Darren.......????
    OUCH...!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DGC
    I made the comment a few weks back that Fox needs an air sleeve right between the RP and DHX, the current 2 are too distant from each other and cause set up problems. FOX....please make an air sleeve between these 2.
    I was thinking about changing from stock to an RP23 but had been conscerned with the same issues. The DHX seems to fall through the midrange (at least on the 5 spot) and I also am trying to tune against that.
    Has anybody done a volume measurement of both sleeves to see what they are. If there was say 20 CC's difference, we could puy 10CC's of grease or oil in the stock sleeve / chamber and this might put it in the middle. I don't see why it wouldn't work.
    The Delta of the Coefficient of Expansion is great enough to negate any rule short of Transient Equilibrium.