aka...appBLING72

Fox DHX 5.0 7.5x 2.0 in classifieds

I just posted my Fox DHX 5.0 Coil 7.5" x 2.0" off my undelivered RFX, yes, RFX. I rode my Morewood Shova once and it was more DH/FR than trail, which is what I need. So, after long consideration I have decided to rejoin the homer nation. But, I must have my CCDB on the RFX, so this DHX will be taken off as soon as I get the frame and be ready for shipment early next week. The shock is listed on:

MTBR CLASSIFIEDS

EBAY

RIDEMONKEY

So, for those of you interested or know someone who is, thanks in advance for sending them my way.

By the way, The Morewood Shova was an incredible bike, just more FR/DH. So, if you're looking for a sub 40# FR/DH rig that rides great with a CCDB on it. PM me, or go to Ebay or MTBR ads here

mtbr member

back to the rfx

Aappling,
    So you are going back to the RFX? The Morewood looks sweet. How tall are you?

Why are you choosing the RFX over the 6.6?

Must be fun to try all those bikes. Good to see you coming back to Turner! How are you going to build your RFX up. I guess you won't be selling that Thomson post anymore?

Keep us posted!

No, that's not phonetic
    Welcome home, bro. The bling quotient went down in your absence. Do us proud on the build.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Welcome home, bro. The bling quotient went down in your absence. Do us proud on the build.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I feel like we should have a get together and grill out or something. JK!!

Anywhoo, the build will be pretty similiar to the 6.6.

06 RFX - Bronze Ano - medium
    66 SL ( coming back from warranty with White Lowers) Not sure about that, wasn't my choice, but may look cool
    CCDB (Ti spring to come if available)
    SRAM XO shifter/Der
    Gravity dropper 4", 2" drop
    Easton Carbon bars
    King Steelset Headset
    Ruffian grips (lock-on)
    WTB Laser V Ti saddle
    Thomson stem 70mm
    Hope Mono M4's
    Dangerboy levers
    Goodridge hoses
    Shimano XT Cranks
    Time ATAC pedals
    SRAM Cassette
    SRAM Hollow Pin Chain
    Maxxis Rubber

Wheels????
    Currently - Stans FR rims with Red Hadley's (cosmetically that won't match good with Bronze Ano) so, in typical AppBling fashion , I must give in to the Aesthetic UGI.

So currently selling my red Hadleys and Stans FR rims and look into either more Hadleys (Black) or Industry Nine (black).

Options, Options, Options Folks! Input welcome on the wheels??
    Last edited by aappling72; 06-28-2006 at 11:35 AM.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by aappling72
    ??
    How does this punk get so lucky and score a "not available" color on his RFX Looks cool though. There is one on ebay for sale if you want to czech it out.

Wheels - I9 of course!! but you gotta get some real rims this time
    Nothing to see here.

Amphibious Technologies
    Welcome back!!!

I know you really like the CCDB. It truly is an awesome shock but have you considered trying the PUSH'd DHX? It's pretty impressive.

SP
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    Welcome back!!!

I know you really like the CCDB. It truly is an awesome shock but have you considered trying the PUSH'd DHX? It's pretty impressive.

SP

Thanks man! As for the CCDB vs. DHX Pushed, Not saying it doesn't feel nice, but it still is valved with a compromise for your total ride type. You can't get it specific for jumps, then to small bump trail, then for big drops. Steve Peat is riding the Pushed DHX, but he has 12 of them for different course types. Found that out the other day, so that should say something. And the Grand Prix race cars are in love with the CCDB because of it's adjustabillity. Now, I have heard the DHX Pushed feels great, not arguing the feel for the style of terrain and riding you have them vavle it for, but it's hard to beat the adjustability of the CCDB, especially when the pushed DHX is very close in price to the CCDB. So don't want to start another CCDB vx, every other shock thread. Sorry!

Amphibious Technologies
    No arguments here as I think the DB is superadjustable and is a really good shock, in the right hands. You just have to know what you're doing as you can F-up the settings pretty darn easily. However, the PUSH mod is cheaper if you already have a DHX or if one buys your DHX
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    No arguments here as I think the DB is superadjustable and is a really good shock, in the right hands. You just have to know what you're doing as you can F-up the settings pretty darn easily. However, the PUSH mod is cheaper if you already have a DHX or if one buys your DHX
    Yes you can! I have been there. Thanks to alot of time with it and the help of Cane Creek I think I have it figured out. So, cool!

mtbr member
    Nice sounding ride!

Having just returned to mtbing, I am getting used to all the new suspension based bits out there and have not heard of the CCDB. Could you post a link to the mfg? Sorry to hijack but my dual air suspended 5 spot just leaves me feeling a need for coils..

KB

aka...appBLING72
    That is the Cane Creek Double Barrel, a coil shock. Here is the link

Cane Creek Double Barrel

mtbr member
    That is the Cane Creek Double Barrel, a coil shock. Here is the link

Cane Creek Double Barrel

Too funny as the shock I am looking to replace is a Cane Creek Cloud Nine. If you don't mind me asking what did the CCDB cost retail with the Ti spring? Hopefully a bit less then the MSRP of $850.00.. Nice looking shock with the Ohlins style valving.

KB

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by Fasttrak
    Too funny as the shock I am looking to replace is a Cane Creek Cloud Nine. If you don't mind me asking what did the CCDB cost retail with the Ti spring? Hopefully a bit less then the MSRP of $850.00.. Nice looking shock with the Ohlins style valving.

KB
    That would be a no for less than MSRP with Ti. Ti springs have gone up and the CCDB hasn't gone down. You might can get $50 off of one, but that's it, because of their demand and still being so new to the market. Worth every penny though if you can spring it. I am a dealer for Cane Creek and would glad to help you with one. Let me know!

a tight kick sound

Git sum!!!

Well
    You are crazy about bikes, I will give you that.
    Either way, hope ya have fun.

Booner
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I feel like we should have a get together and grill out or something. JK!!

Anywhoo, the build will be pretty similiar to the 6.6.

66 SL ( coming back from warranty with White Lowers) Not sure about that, wasn't my choice, but may look cool
    CCDB (Ti spring to come if available)
    SRAM XO shifter/Der
    Gravity dropper 4", 2" drop
    Easton Carbon bars
    King Steelset Headset
    Ruffian grips (lock-on)
    WTB Laser V Ti saddle
    Thomson stem 70mm
    Hope Mono M4's
    Dangerboy levers
    Goodridge hoses
    Shimano XT Cranks
    Time ATAC pedals
    SRAM Cassette
    SRAM Hollow Pin Chain
    Maxxis Rubber

Wheels????
    Currently - Stans FR rims with Red Hadley's (cosmetically that won't match good with Bronze Ano) so, in typical AppBling fashion , I must give in to the Aesthetic UGI.

So currently selling my red Hadleys and Stans FR rims and look into either more Hadleys (Black) or Industry Nine (black).

Options, Options, Options Folks! Input welcome on the wheels??

Very interesting bro, you change out bikes more than I and Im a (quoting the cheezy one) spaz!

Anywhoo, just wondering as well why the RFX and not another 6.6?

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstix
    Very interesting bro, you change out bikes more than I and Im a (quoting the cheezy one) spaz!

Anywhoo, just wondering as well why the RFX and not another 6.6?
    Well, the main reason, is stiffness in the rear end. The 6.6 felt flexy to me. Rear tire clearance was minimal and even rubbed a few times. And all the bearings to deal with (creaking and maintenance.) The Turner won in that regard. So, hopefully the CCDB will give it the ride I know it's capable of. Well see. I made a promise to keep it for at least a year.

mtbr member
    Well, the main reason, is stiffness in the rear end. The 6.6 felt flexy to me. Rear tire clearance was minimal and even rubbed a few times. And all the bearings to deal with (creaking and maintenance.) The Turner won in that regard. So, hopefully the CCDB will give it the ride I know it's capable of. Well see. I made a promise to keep it for at least a year.

I hear ya, I felt some wiggles in the Uzzi VPfleX (just funnin hear) and Im not hard on bikes. Looks like you better remove the "27.2 seatpost forsale in the sig area.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstix
    I hear ya, I felt some wiggles in the Uzzi VPfleX (just funnin hear) and Im not hard on bikes. Looks like you better remove the "27.2 seatpost forsale in the sig area.
    He has the Homer required Gravity dropper that will swap on to the RFX.
    Nothing to see here.

No, that's not phonetic
    Hey aappling72, what size is the shock on the Moorewood (i2i and stroke)?

aka...appBLING72
    Hey aappling72, what size is the shock on the Moorewood (i2i and stroke)?
    I am pretty sure it is an 8.5 x 2.5. I will double check and if it's different than I just stated I will let you know.

No, that's not phonetic
    Just curious. I have a 7.875 x 2.25 on my 6-Pack now for 7" of travel. Just thought if the Shova used that shock you could try it on the Pack for kicks and giggles before you sell it. Sounds like it's too big.

aka...appBLING72
    Just curious. I have a 7.875 x 2.25 on my 6-Pack now for 7" of travel. Just thought if the Shova used that shock you could try it on the Pack for kicks and giggles before you sell it. Sounds like it's too big.
    So, does that shock size and stroke work on the pack/RFX? If so, I would be into having CC build me one in that size

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hey, at least this way you won't ever have to rebuild pivots!
    The old Avy is working well,I was up to Whistler this weekend giving it a workout..kelly

No, that's not phonetic
    Check out this thread. There are other threads which cover what shocks fit and how they work. Basically everything from a 7.5 x 2.0 to a 7.5 x 2.25 to a 7.75 x 2.25 to a 7.875 x 2.25 will fit. The resulting geometry and travel just varies, you have to watch out for the chainstay hitting the front derailleur, etc, but they are all pretty viable options.

FM
    mtbr member
    Dude! You change bikes more often than I change my chain!

It's all good..... quit marking up your used stuff so much though

PS- don't even ask- my 2002 RFX is NOT FOR SALE

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Dude! You change bikes more often than I change my chain!

It's all good..... quit marking up your used stuff so much though

PS- don't even ask- my 2002 RFX is NOT FOR SALE

You think I'm asking too much? Well, itmust not be to much, because people are buyin it. How else do you think I can afford new stuff!!

aka...appBLING72
    Check out this thread. There are other threads which cover what shocks fit and how they work. Basically everything from a 7.5 x 2.0 to a 7.5 x 2.25 to a 7.75 x 2.25 to a 7.875 x 2.25 will fit. The resulting geometry and travel just varies, you have to watch out for the chainstay hitting the front derailleur, etc, but they are all pretty viable options.
    OK, so let me see if I understand you right. If I wanted to run a custom CCDB at 7.75 x 2.25 on the RFX with everything standard no frame change, I really would be doing it to give myself a little more sag, maybe lowering the BB, but not changing any other geo and not changing the leverage ratio? Just curious, cause those are changes I would like on the pack. Thanks Man!

No, that's not phonetic
    As long as you keep the same rockers, the average leverage ratio will not change no matter what shock you run. Any time you change the i2i, you will be changing the geometry and sag point. A longer i2i (like the 7.75 vs the stock 7.5) will raise the bb and steepen the angles all other things being equal. You could run a little more sag with the longer shock if it had a longer stroke (2.25 vs the stock 2.0). If you wanted a lower bb and slacker angles AND more travel, you would need to stick to the 7.5 i2i and increase the stroke to 2.25. Now there could be some issues with this shock on the 6-Pack. It has been tested on the older RFX bikes which are very similar in layout, but you would be the first to do it.

Take your shock off the 6-Pack. Now let the bike sag until the tire bottoms on the frame or the seat stay yoke bottoms on the seat tube. Take some calipers and measure the bottomed i2i distance exactly. If it is greater than 5.25", then it should work (7.5-2.25=5.25). If it is 5.35 then you would at best be able to run a 7.5 x 2.15 or 7.6 x 2.25 shock, etc. When you know what the absolute max stroke you can get away with is, subtract a bit of stroke or add a little i2i so that the bike's parts DON'T bind at bottomout.

Please note that this is all EXTREMELY NAUGHTY. Turner does not condone or appreciate people messing with his carefully crafted machines. I am an inveterate tinkerer and just like to experiment, so I am not suggesting that any of this is necessarily a good idea, just options to explore if you want to void your warranty.
    Last edited by tscheezy; 06-30-2006 at 09:08 AM.

Outcast
    OK, so let me see if I understand you right. If I wanted to run a custom CCDB at 7.75 x 2.25 on the RFX with everything standard no frame change, I really would be doing it to give myself a little more sag, maybe lowering the BB, but not changing any other geo and not changing the leverage ratio? Just curious, cause those are changes I would like on the pack. Thanks Man!
    Aappling72, you could simply offer me an obscene amount of money to make you new rockers so that you could run any shock you want. Emphasis on the obscene amount aspect!

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Aappling72, you could simply offer me an obscene amount of money to make you new rockers so that you could run any shock you want. Emphasis on the obscene amount aspect!
    How much obsenity would that be converted to dollars?? Also, what config? I am thinking about just running the standard config with a CCDB. David said the new RFX with Standard stays would be a close fit with a 7.5 x 2.25 stroke. I could measure it and see though. Chris at Go-ride mentioned that at the end of the stroke Th rising rate would turn to a falling rate and feel weird along with sitting the sag in the stiff part of the travel. Thoughts, opinions, suggestions, favorite coffee, anything else?

mtbr member
    That would be a no for less than MSRP with Ti. Ti springs have gone up and the CCDB hasn't gone down. You might can get $50 off of one, but that's it, because of their demand and still being so new to the market. Worth every penny though if you can spring it. I am a dealer for Cane Creek and would glad to help you with one. Let me know!

Toss me some information on how to contact you. Since Fox is no longer making the DHX-C in the size I need, looks like two shocks for me to look at, the Avy and CCDB. After reading everything I could find on the CCDB it sounds very interesting and I always liked Ohlins for my dirtbikes.

KB

Members who have read this thread: 0