mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Fox 36 Talas HELP!

Hi, 2009 Fox 36 Talas 4months old. No problems until now! Tried to set the sag but every time I take the pump off, the fork looses all pressure. Tried the Fox pump and now another however no luck.
    It seems when the pump is unscrewed to about half way the air escapes.
    Please any advice.
    Thanks

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by skyerose123
    Hi, 2009 Fox 36 Talas 4months old. No problems until now! Tried to set the sag but every time I take the pump off, the fork looses all pressure. Tried the Fox pump and now another however no luck.
    It seems when the pump is unscrewed to about half way the air escapes.
    Please any advice.
    Thanks
    Check the valve core (i.e. the thing you compress to allow air in/out). sounds like it might be loose.....grab some needle nose pliers and see if you can tighten it (gingerly).

EB

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Check the valve core (i.e. the thing you compress to allow air in/out). sounds like it might be loose.....grab some needle nose pliers and see if you can tighten it (gingerly).

EB

NO!!!!!! Please don't use needlenose pliers!!! Use a valve core removal/instal tool to make sure the valve core is tight. Needlenose pliers while they may work, they can damage the valve core and/or the shock!!!

Too easily annoyed.
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    NO!!!!!! Please don't use needlenose pliers!!! Use a valve core removal/instal tool to make sure the valve core is tight. Needlenose pliers while they may work, they can damage the valve core and/or the shock!!!
    ..for the record, he did say "gingerly". But yes, the valve core tool is what you want here.

banned
    Needlenose pliers, no go. I've safely used the valve core tool, or gotten caps that have the tool built in on the outside. They're cheap and available at J-marts. I've also used tweezers with a narrow, rounded rectangle tip that engages the same way as the valve core tool. In fact, works a bit better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hi thanks for all the advice. The problem seems to be the schrader valve it does not pop back up with the air pressure. When the seal is broken when the pump is detached it looses almost all the air. What air is left when the pump is detached escapes when the fork is compressed. If I put my thumb over the valve no air escapes.
    This is really annoying as I am setting up my new DWL Spot.
    Thanks

banned
    Pull the valve core completely, clean it, then oil it, and reinsert. New cores can be had from J-mart and autoparts stores as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for all the advice. Sorted!
    One very happy Turner owner. The internals of the valve needed tightening.
    If i could buy you all a beer I would, but instead I will make a donation to the Mountain Rescue Teams here in the UK.
    Once again thank you.

banned
    NP. Good call on that donation. I might need them in the near future upon my return

Just roll it......
    Needlenose pliers while they may work, they can damage the valve core and/or the shock!!!
    They do, in fact, work if you're not a hamfisted mechanic and "gingerly" check to see if the core is loose (or not).

Of course, there's a special tool for every job.....otherwise Park and Pedros would be out of business. A valve core installer/remover certainly isn't a big purchase considering the OP is talking about a $1000 dollar fork.

EB

mtbr member
    Gang,

I'm having a similar issue with my 07 Marz 66. When I remove the pump from the topcap after putting a few pumps of air in, there is a slight hissing sound of the air leaking out slowly.

Could I be having the same problem?
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007
    Gang,

I'm having a similar issue with my 07 Marz 66. When I remove the pump from the topcap after putting a few pumps of air in, there is a slight hissing sound of the air leaking out slowly.

Could I be having the same problem?

You may just be hearing the air that is being released from the pump and not from the shock.

mtbr member
    You may just be hearing the air that is being released from the pump and not from the shock.
    I thought that at first as well, but it is actually the fork.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.