mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Fox 36 Talas on 5 Spot

Has anyone gone with this setup? I have a float rlc, was wondering if the 36 is too much fork, or a welcome addition for taking some bigger drops.

Here is my situation... I broke my other fork, stupid non biking car incident, and I am interested in whether the 36 gives me something more, mainly in stability. I am not a big hucker, so I dont think I would kill the frame.
    Last edited by jmass; 05-18-2006 at 11:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Verbotten by DT.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

Lay off the Levers
    Yes it's regarded as too much fork.

You may want to do a search on that. It's been discussed a fair bit.
    Long story short, DT warns against using such a fork on the Spot b/c it encourages use beyond the frame design.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Baked Alaskan
    Do a little digging in the photo threads to see what people are doing with their Spot on Z1's and Pikes and such - if you're going bigger then you need a frame capable of taking the beating. A bigger fork will leave your frame as a potential weak link - if you're going big enough for a 36 then you're probably going beyond what the Spot is designed to do. The Spot is an XC frame - why would you want to do big drops on an XC frame??? Gotta have the right tool for the job and if you're planning on running a 36, the the RFX/Pack is what you want to look at.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

MK_
    carpe maņana
    The 36 TALAS is probably the dumbest fork to put on the front. Not only is it really tall A2C wise, but it wont' take big hits any better than the float, it will blow through its travel easier, actually. If you want more beef get a PIKE or a Z1.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

DGC
    mtbr member

Talas 36

Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    The 36 TALAS is probably the dumbest fork to put on the front. Not only is it really tall A2C wise, but it wont' take big hits any better than the float, it will blow through its travel easier, actually. If you want more beef get a PIKE or a Z1.

_MK
    I rode a Talas 36 a few days ago, not impressed.
    For the 5 Spot, another vote here for the Pike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bring Back Buck
    Hey JM,
    I did a bit of research about this a while ago. Yes it's not recomended by DT, but there are a few options available:
    1. 06' Talas and adjusting the fork height down
    2. 36 Van with cut springs to match recomended fork height

I also saw a guy out the other day with a 36 on his spot. He reconed that it was pretty good.

A lot of people on this board have been having a good run with Rock Shox Pikes or Marz Z1's. I'm currently running a Manitou Nixon on my Spot, which had a few reliability issues early on, but has otherwise been great.

Hope that helps.

Buck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

36 sounds like a bad idea

So the general concensus is that this is a bad plan...my local shop said the new float talas will be a 140mm fork, out in about a month. Seems like the PIKE is the favorite so far.

Thanks

banned
    after comparing the rides of my 6-Pack (36 Van) and 5-Spot (Vanilla RLC 130mm) I would suggest something less stocky than a 36.

if'n youse can hack the air / plastic thing, Pike.

if'n youse kant,

the Vanilla 32mm chassis is plenty beefy and if you blame the fork on your fear of doing 2-3 foot drops, you're putting the blame in the wrong place.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    After much agonizing, I chose the Marz All Mountain 1 for the Spot. I really love the Van 36 on my RFX, and came very close to ordering a Van 32 RLC, but have had too much historical trouble with that particular steerer/crown/stanchion assembly getting creaky.

Maybe I'm way off the back of the curve, since the All Mountain 1 isn't getting much talk these days.

Anyway, I'll report on the behavior once it arrives. One definite benefit is that since the travel will adjust to 150, it can also serve as a backup fork to the RFX in a pinch.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    After much agonizing, I chose the Marz All Mountain 1 for the Spot. I really love the Van 36 on my RFX, and came very close to ordering a Van 32 RLC, but have had too much historical trouble with that particular steerer/crown/stanchion assembly getting creaky.

Maybe I'm way off the back of the curve, since the All Mountain 1 isn't getting much talk these days.

Anyway, I'll report on the behavior once it arrives. One definite benefit is that since the travel will adjust to 150, it can also serve as a backup fork to the RFX in a pinch.
    All Mountain 1 is definatelly a great choice for the spot. Even though it is QR, it is super burly. And it rides better than just about any fork on the market.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    All Mountain 1 is definatelly a great choice for the spot. Even though it is QR, it is super burly. And it rides better than just about any fork on the market.

_MK
    Well, buyer's remorse has been banished. Thanks!

Since the Spot is as close to a "race bike" as I get, I'm looking forward to the top-adjustable compression to quickly stiffen things up for long climbing sections (don't like real lockouts), and the light air assist to easily fine tune things for whatever is on tap for a given day.

Sorry for mildly hijacking the thread, but maybe this will put the All Mountain 1 in the running of his fork choices.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Marz. feedback

No worries, this is what I am trying to learn, what are the other rider's experiences with other fork setups.