mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Fox 36 lowers repaint?

Anybody know if the coating on the bushings in the 36 lowers can handle the heat of re-powder coating? Anybody repaint their fork what's a good paint? I was thinking epoxy/appliance paint

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Be careful powder coating the magnesium lower. I was going to do one and my powder coater whom had previously done the rock shox forks kind of talked me out of it.

Surfin' da mountain
    Send it to Fox. Get this! I'm a hardcore Marzocchi fan. But 2 years ago when planning to buy a 55, research indicated they had winddown problems. So I opted for the Fox 36 Talas on my SPOT and haven't looked back.

Recently, my lowers had some play, fore-aft. I called both Fox and Push for advice. Enduro sells replacement bushings to fit the lowers, but the advice I got indicated the sliders wear at the same rate as the bushings in the lowers. Considering an overhaul might involve replacement of the sliders and crown I opted to send to Fox directly.

I was initially discouraged that it took Fox two weeks to return my 36 Talas. When it arrived it was a completely different color (darker grey). Further inspection revealed that $280 got me a new crown and sliders, new lowers and I think a new damper system in the right leg. The left insert (Talas lever) is definately not new - I recognize a scratch I caused. In other words, for $280 I received a nearly new fork. It wasn't a preferred color, I would have preferred white, but no complains here. The fork is nearly broken in, again and I love it.

If you're looking for a specific color, talk with Fox at your next overhaul. I've heard nothing less than spectacular things about PUSH, but must admit this experience with Fox was pleasantly unexpected. They may work with you on paint.