mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Fox 36 160mm for trail-bike duties?

Hi all, a question:
    After several years of "all mountain" riding, first on a 2008 RFX and then a DW Spot w/Fox 36, learning drops and technical singletrack and enjoying it but fearing injury at 40years old, I stopped riding for almost a year, found I love trail running, and went down >10kg in weight.
    Now I am starting to come back to riding, with the intent of more trail riding and aerobic and not really AM.
    I love my Spot, don't need an XC rig (racing days are way over), and am asking if and how I should modify it for the style I now prefer.
    One option is to go from the Fox 36 Talas 160mm to a slimmer Fox 32 150mm fork.
    The thing is, that I love the ride with the Fox 36. Shrink it to 130mm for climbs and open it for fun downs. It does weigh more than the 32, but except for the added 500grams is there any reason to believe it will be a better fork for trail-bike needs than my current 36?
    Thanks for any feedbacks!
    Last edited by tald; 11-01-2011 at 09:47 AM.
    Hear no evil. See no evil. Speak no evil. (Do it !?!)

Committed
    If you like the ride with the 36, why change it? As you said, your not worried about weight so just enjoy the 36.
    I run a Rock Shox Revalation 150mm and really like it on my Spot, I have not been impressed with the Fox 32 150mm forks. Far too flexy imo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    1soulrider I see you had a 36 prior to the revelation. Can you compare the rides?
    Hear no evil. See no evil. Speak no evil. (Do it !?!)

MW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tald
    The thing is, that I love the ride with the Fox 36. Shrink it to 130mm for climbs and open it for fun downs.
    Whatever other changes you might make (tires, components, cockpit, etc.) to (re)position your Spot as more "trail" and less "all mountain-lite," this bit seems perfect for what you're describing, right? If you're stoked on your 36 TALAS, keep it and stay stoked!!!

--Matt

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by tald View Post
    1soulrider I see you had a 36 prior to the revelation. Can you compare the rides?
    The ride quality of the Rev is superior to the 36 I had. From the first day out of the box the Rev felt better on the trail than the 36 ever did. The 36 was a bit stouter feeling, but the Rev gave up much less in this department than I thought it would. I mentioned that I find the Fox 32 150mm fork too flexy, not so with the Rev. I weigh about 165, so a heavier rider might find the Rev less stout and be better served by a 36 or Lyric.
    The other differences are head angle, bb height and weight. I have a angleset on my Spot so it's nice and slack with the smaller fork, and the bb stays lower as well.

bump and grind
    Yup. Keep the 36 since you like it. Sounds like you are a good enough athlete to wrestle the added weight on the climbs and yet appreciate the "hit-anything" confidence of a big fork with a thru axle. You may think that you wont need the big fork but you never know if there will be days when you just think "I wanna hit that drop...." I rode a 36 van on my DW spot, thought i was overforked and moved to a 32 Van (9mm). It felt noodly and underforked for rough trails. So I moved to a Pike (32) on my DW spot, thinking that the 20mm axle would stiffen up the front. Wasnt happy. Now Im back on a big fork (lyrik coil uturn) with my RFX and couldnt be happier.

mtbr member
    Fox 36 or Marzocchi 55 class forks makes DW-Spot very capable AM bike, but steep climbs are quite a challenge. Revelation, Fox 32 or Marzocchi 44 (140 or 150mm) make 5Spot great trail bike, perfect for climbing and single track riding, but you loose some fun on descents. Choose your poison.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have a Talas 36 (100-130-160) on my 09 Spot. I ride it XC and have stopped using the Talas feature.

I had this fork on my 07 Spot also and always played with the travel between 130 and 160.

I do love the lack of flex of the 36, it makes a 32 feel like a wet noodle.

mtbr member
    Hey Tald,
    I know exactly where you are at!
    In a similar position myself, currently ride an 09 spot dw and normally have a fox 36 talas r to go with it, awesome and handles everything I can throw at it.
    However, recently after sending the 36's off for service I fitted the spot with my Fox Float RLC 32mm 150mm 15qr to keep it on the trail and see how it felt with 150mm travel full time.
    I can tell you it rides completely differently, its lighter on the front but still capable and it handles singletrack in a more nimble way, yes the "big action" feeling is a little less but the bike feels more spritely on actual trail and tight, twisty stuff. Personally I haven't felt any difference in flex and I was more concerned with "lift" on climbing at 150mm but its fine. Here in the UK its all about harsh weather conditions and technical climbs and descents, not so much hard packed technical drops and stuff (wish it was!!)
    My quandary is do I get a new fork when I trade up for the 2012 Spot and do I go 36 Talas rlc, 36 Float rlc or 32 float rlc150mm like Im currently riding?
    So I understand where you are coming from, my advice save your money for now and keep it as it is, if it's not broke and all that.......or.......if you have the cash and it's not an issue try the Float rlc's with 15qr they ride great, and if your not doing big stuff they'll handle what your 36's did
    Hope that helps bud

Rick
    God....whatever i feel like doing!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    36 all the way ,i wouldnt have anything else on my spot.
    trlridr