PSI
    I want that one

New question here. Formula B4 SL - any good?

In my low budget efforts to weight weenie my new Flux (and, yes, overanalyze each new part) I have come across a great deal on Formula B4 SL's - less than $300 fr and rear. These are around 300gr per side, less than Martas.
    Now that the newer gen Formulas are all the rage, can anyone recommend or condemn the B4's, or should i add almost a couple hundred and get Martas?

Disclaimer: I am not a weight weenie!!! my 5 Spot is one of the heaviest in existence

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hi, I have the B4 Pro Plus on my flux and it is a really good brake, good power nice modulation, lasts well etc. They are really light, especially when you compare them to the juicy carbon, mono mini. The only problem I have found is the reach adjustment screw, which is plastic and ****. That is the only issue I have with them, no squeal, easy to setup and no fade. Jonathan

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Look harder for an oro K24

or ask for a better deal on the B4's. $300 is enough money to buy the K24's, email Larry @ mtn high cyclery, I'll bet you that he'll take care of you. The K24 is a better brake due the size of the diaphram (?) that is shakey on the B4. The K24 might be the best brake on the market for the price. Spend the money on a current generation product, because you never know how long the manufacture is going to supply parts for a discontinued product.

cheers,

Kane

PSI
    I want that one
    thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

K18's

I too am a very happy user of the Formula oro's (puro model in my case).
    If you are on a tight budget, my opinion would be to go for the K18's which weigh the same as the K24's and are actually identical except for the little contact point adjustment knob. If you think you don't need this feature, which lets you adjust the travel of the lever before the pistons touches the rotor, the K18's will be just as good. In my opinion, this feature is not really a 'must'.
    For your information, both the K18 and K24 of corse have adjustable lever position.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Your right ...

Surf dude,
    Your right, somehow we survived cantilevers, than V brakes. Hydraulic brakes are such a world beyond. The pad adjustment lever is a mildly valuable feature, but in the big scheme of things the design of the oro brakes is functionally the same. The inherent performance of all the oro's is the same level of excellence with minor weight differences + the pad contact switch on the K24's and the puro's. The puro's are so Italian! But, they don't function or stop any different than the K18's.

Having said that, I heard that the puro's out sell the other two combined! They are beautiful in that oh so Italian way.

Cheers,

Kane

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

You are even right-er

Quote Originally Posted by zkampyman
    They are beautiful in that oh so Italian way.
    Indeed. And some people find this enough to pay double the price of the eqaully performing K18's
    me included

bottom line is that 300 for the B4's is not an incredible deal as this should buy you the best brake of this moment, Formula oro K18's. After that, it's up to your budget and even more so your mental health which model you choose.