Thread: Fork for XCE

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

New question here. Fork for XCE

hello folks... first post, please be kind.
    i looked through some of the older posts, but didn't see this topic...
    i was wondering if anyone here has a fork with more that 100mm of travel on their xce. i've been thinking about upgrading my fork but was wondering how a longer travel fork (5 inches) would effect the handling on the xce. is anyone using a similar set up?
    thanks,
    davey

No, that's not phonetic
    Both Barny and I have our XCE equipped Vanilla RLCs at 125mm. The steering is a tsd slower and less "precise" than with the Vanillas as 100mm. Much more and it may start feeling a bit floppy. I have had mine at 125 for a while, but we just bumped Barny's up to 125 in Moab a month ago when she was bottoming too much, and wallowing deep in the stroke a bit. She noticed the added height and slower steering but adjusted quickly, and the added travel helped her in the rough stuff. You will need to adjust your technique a little, but you can adapt.

If I were to run out and buy a 5" fork for my XCE right now, I would have to look hard at the new Zoke Marathons in 120mm. The next generation ('05) of Mantiou's SPV forks (Minute, etc) may be worth a look as you can run a lot of sag on them without worrying about bottoming. At 130mm it may be too tall though. I like everything about the Foxes except the compression dampening which is really showing its age and lack of sophistication.

tscheezy
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Still chuggin' along
    Yep, I started out on a 100mm Black Super Air then got it bumped up to 120 and really, really liked what it did for the ride. I'm running a 50mm stem so the slower steering helped and longer travel raised the BB just enough to keep me from slamming on logs. It also helped relieve the feeling that I was going to go over the bars whenever I came over the top of a log ramp.

Now, I've got a 125 Vanilla R and can't ever see myself going back to shorter travel. I seem to be liking the slacker HA and extra confidence.

Cheers,
    Kristina

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I just put on a black...

last week. Only have one ride on it so far. I bought the comp that is adjustable frome 100-120mm. In the 120mm geometry really sucks for climbing. Rides great going downhill though. If you decide to get something longer, I would definitely go with something with adjustable travel, because you may have a hard time climbing anything steep with a longer fork. Greenfish sports has the blacks on clearance right now. I only paid $159 for mine.

Good luck,
    Jeff

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for all the info. I've heard of people running long travel forks but was worried about how much it would affect the bike's handling. Sounds like you're all pretty happy with how your bikes are running. I've been actually been looking at both the Vanilla 125 and the Marathon S 120 (I'm partial to coils). So now I guess I just have to decide on which one to go with. Life can be so tough sometimes, huh?

Bike Junkie

Adjustable

I've had a Vanilla RLC 125 with the yellow firm spring in it since I got my XCE. I just set the travel to 100mm. Nice thing is it's just a flip flop of some spacers so you can try both.

Turner themselves say that 100mm is what the bike was designed for so you'll be happy perfectly happy with it. 125mm works as well with some adjustments; but if you started with it, you won't know the difference

People had mentioned on this forum prior to the arrival of the 5spot that using the 125mm setting on the Vanilla wasn't as nice as using the 100mm. Times are a changing.
    See You On The Trails!

Roy
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackOut
    People had mentioned on this forum prior to the arrival of the 5spot that using the 125mm setting on the Vanilla wasn't as nice as using the 100mm. Times are a changing.
    Indeed. Do a search on the old forum for people switching to 5" in the front on their XCE and they couldn't switch back to 4" fast enough. "Floppy" and "sluggish" were the repeated buzzwords.
    I doubt you can get a 5" fork that isn't adjustable anymore so when you get one, just try it out. Small tweaks like this are a constant evolution to your bike "fit" and preferences; the more experience/variety you have the better it will make you. You'll start to learn that certain tweaks become optimized for particular types of trails/locations.

cask conditioned

Talas!

I threw a Talas on mine and I love it! I keep it mostly at around 118mm or so and it climbs great and descends even better than my 100 Float. Steering is a bit slow in full 125mm mode but I only notice that on very fast twisty s.t. Most switchacks are not problem. I've climbed steep stuff and made it easily to the top no problem before realizing it was set to 125mm. On super steep loose stuff I've dialed it down to 80mm and flew up the hills. On the techy d.h. stuff it practically turns my XCE into a 5-spot and have since cleaned things I wouldn't have dared previously. Talas up front, Push'ed Fox in the rear: can't get any better (until Fox comes out with a Talas Teralogix damper).

PITY THE FOOL!
    I've had a 2001 Z1 MCR on my XCE ever since I've owned it. I can't compare it to a 100mm fork as I never used one on this bike. That said, I've never been disapointed with the handling of my bike as it's currently set up. I can lock the fork down for climbing which certainly helps keep the front wheel on the ground as it has a tendency to get up in the air if I climb steep stuff at full extension. For short, quick climbs I just power through and don't worry about the lock down but for long climbs it helps a ton.

Depending on what kind of feel you want in your fork there are lots of options in the 125 range. The bike won't steer quite as precise and you may suffer a bit in really tight singletrack but again, I've never really been diaspointed. If you ride aggresively at all you'll appreciate the extra inch of travel.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

simple rule for geometry impact of shock choice

An easy rule of thumb to remember is this:

Every inch added to the crown-to-axle length of a fork will slacken the head angle by about one degree, and raise the bottom bracket by about 0.35 inch.

An XCE with a Fox at 100mm should produce a 70 deg HA and a 12.9" BB height. So setting a Fox at 125 instead of 100 will produce a 69 degree HA and about a 13.25" BB height. Interestingly, this is identical to the specs for the 5-Spot (although you will still only have 4" travel in the rear).

I think the Marathons run about 10mm taller (axle-to-crown) than the Fox forks, at a given length of travel, so I would avoid them if your a trying to squeeze a 125mm travel onto an XCE (you will suffer more negative consequences to handling).

I rode Marzocchi's for years, and was always pretty happy, but I've switched both my bikes to Fox in the last two years, and love them. Stiff, reliable, maintainable, good customer service. I would go with a Fox Vanilla R if you are short on cash, and you can play around with the 100mm or 125mm set-up. If you can afford it, go to the TALAS, which will make the tweaking much easier, and the spring rate is still pretty nice and linear. I own both, and love both.

have fun

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hmm, a lot more food for thought. I've only really ridden Marzocchi's so I was giving the Marathon some serious thought, but now I'm wondering if the Vanilla would be the better way to go, since I can flip flop between 100 and 125. I'd hate to get a brand new fork only to wish I had my old one back. Other than on the tightest switchbacks, I'm pretty happy with the handling except I wish I had a little more for the more aggresive decents.

Endo Verendo and InertiaMan, how does the Talas ride compared to a coil sprung fork?

No, that's not phonetic
    BTW, you can set the Vanillas at any increment between 80 and 125mm. You just have to manufacture your own spacers. PVC works perfectly.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

cask conditioned
    Quote Originally Posted by davey

Endo Verendo and InertiaMan, how does the Talas ride compared to a coil sprung fork?
    My last coil fork was a Judy a while back. All I can say is it matches my rear Fox Vanilla perfectly and other people who get on my bike and ride Z1's say it feels great. The Talas also feels much better than a Float 100 and doesn't brake dive as much for some reason. I've heard this from some of my friends who switched to Talas's as well.

It's true about Forx and height since they're shorter than most other brands. I put a Marathon 100 on my race hardtail and it was slack enough to be unrideable, but a 100 Float feels fine. (and for $150 you can get a Terralogix damper for them!). And the Talas at full travel isn't even an inch longer than the Float 100.