mtbr member

Which fork and rear shock for 2004 5-Spot rebuild?

I'm rebuilding my old 5-spot to be lighter and more plush but am bewildered at all the fork and shock options. I'd like this to be an easy going trail bike for an older 200lb rider like myself. I mostly ride on East Coast singletrack.

The current fork/shock are a Fox Vanilla R 120mm and the original Romic coil over.

I'd like to have about 5 inches of travel in the fork but am also interested in trying out 650b. So, should I get an adjustable fork like 110-140mm?

Also, is the 15mm thru axle becoming necessary to take advantage of the best forks?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm running a 09 fox vanilla r 140mm with 15mm through axle on my 04 spot & have recently replaced the original romic for a fox dhx5 coil, but had to carry out a few mods on the lathe to the piggy back reservoir & schrader valve of the dhx to clear the down tube at full compression when using a 2.5mm offset lower shock bush - this probably isn't a problem on the 05 onwards frames with the slight curve at the bottom of the down tube.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Rock show revelation with QR15 should be lighter than your Van, get the adjustable version if you need. On the back a RP23 with the correct valve / tune settings.

Should save a bit of weight like you specified

mtbr member
    If you are going to change front hubs you might as well go 20mm. At your weight you will notice a huge improvement over 9mm. I would look for an older PIKE or a new Revelation @140mm. If you can find a used one at a good price send it off to a suspension company to have it rebuilt for your weight and riding style. Should come back better than new for half the price.

On the rear you have a lot of options. The best shock I ever ran on my Spot was an Avalanche Chubbie which is a coil shock. If you don't want to go coil and want to keep the weight down look for a PUSHed RP23 or find a used RP23 in the 7.5 X 2.0 size and send it to PUSH

These improvements make a great bike even better. It will feel like you are on a brand new bike.

Good Luck.

mtbr member
    I guess the reservoir on the side will fit into a large 5-spot?

Piggyback shock

This must be good if they are getting $600 for it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Using a '09 Fox Vanilla 140mm on the front, RP23 Pushed for the rear, on my (new to me) '07 refurbished HL Spot.
    One ride (well, 5 laps) at the Georgia 24 hour race a few weeks ago, and I'm a happy boy.
    Bought the fork used off here, and she frame came with the shock. It weighed in at 30# when I built it, now have Thompson stem and Easton carbon bars, Hope M4's, so may be a little under that now. I don't let weight bother me, it rolls like a light bike anyway.
    I'm 150#, 6'3", so don't beat on the suspension, and the bike feels like I keep reading it should.
    YMMV. Good luck with the build.

Cheers
    Barry

mtbr member
    Seems like the Vanilla 120 fork is a good thing to keep, so i'll just get some maintenance done on it, maybe a lighter spring and some grease. Any taller fork is going to exxagerate the wheel flop, so 120mm seems like a good choice now.

The big change will likely be in swapping the Romic for a Fox RP23. Everybody seems to like the RP23. Not sure what the specifications should be, though - ebay listings describe varying damping styles.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by geardoc View Post
    Seems like the Vanilla 120 fork is a good thing to keep, so i'll just get some maintenance done on it, maybe a lighter spring and some grease. Any taller fork is going to exxagerate the wheel flop, so 120mm seems like a good choice now.

The big change will likely be in swapping the Romic for a Fox RP23. Everybody seems to like the RP23. Not sure what the specifications should be, though - ebay listings describe varying damping styles.
    Nah, not everyone likes the RP23. It is hands down the worst riding upper shelf shock on the market.

First off, the Vanilla at 120mm is probably pretty clapped out at this point and the QR axle is a dinosaur. The Vanilla chassis, especially from that era is not particularly robust. As suggested above, go for the through axle. Skip the 15mm marketing wonder and go straight for the proven 20mm. Older Pike is good, the Revelation is very good (especially with the blackbox damper). For the rear, you'd be best off with something like the Monarch RC3 piggyback shock. It is great on it's own without PUSHing anything. You can always treat yourself to a PUSH upgrade next Christmas. If you want to go minimal weight on the rear shock, the non-piggyback Monarch outrides a PUSH tuned RP3 any day of the week.

On a value end, the X-fusion brand is worth a consideration. Their H3 LT shock which came and went, replaced now by the Vector Air is superb.

In 2004 Turner was suggesting a 125mm travel front fork with A2C height of the Vanilla. In years that followed people have pushed that as much as a 160mm Fox36/RS Lyrik. While that is excessive, it shows that you can comfortably add some height in the front end. I loved how my 05 Spot rode with what at the time was my favorite, the Marzocchi Z1. I loved it with a 140mm Pike (and for a while with the Maverick DUC). The Revelation is a stiffer chassis than the Pike; it's lighter and the blackbox damper is superb.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    DT Swiss EXC 150 15 mm feels great on my 04 Spot

try driving your car less
    I have an 04 spot. Pushed RP3 on the back and a vanilla 130 up front with a 650b front wheel.
    I did some research a while back and concluded that I would go with a FOX talas air up front, and probably a monarch on the rear. But this upgrade is so much money I just did nothing.
    I would not spend a ton on that frame: get an old RP23 and send it to PUSH, then a PIKE or Fox.
    If you want a new front wheel anyway, go 20mm, I have a nice XTR front wheel and weigh 170 so I personally would just stick with QR. You can get deals on forks as people upgrade to qr15, or 20mm.

Let us know what you decide and how it works out.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm interested to know how you like the 650b front? I'm 6'6" and ride an 05 xxl Spot and have been thinking about trying a 650b front. This frame with it's 26.5" top tube just fits so good I hate to change but might try some upgrades. Thanks!

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by geardoc View Post
    I guess the reservoir on the side will fit into a large 5-spot?

Piggyback shock

This must be good if they are getting $600 for it.
    Yes, the avalanche chubbie is the best coil shock you can put on your spot, I have the same year spot as you do, and have a chubbie on it, for the second time. Great shock.

Spam alert: I have a 7.5 by 2 [your size] Monarch plus RC3 rear shock, and 3 Pike forks; coil u-turn, dual air, and dual air u-turn sitting in my garage, looking for a new home. PM me if you are interested in any of them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Yes, the avalanche chubbie is the best coil shock you can put on your spot, I have the same year spot as you do, and have a chubbie on it, for the second time. Great shock.

Spam alert: I have a 7.5 by 2 [your size] Monarch plus RC3 rear shock, and 3 Pike forks; coil u-turn, dual air, and dual air u-turn sitting in my garage, looking for a new home. PM me if you are interested in any of them.
    Geardoc,
    I would take a look at that PIKE Air U-turn Renegade is offering. The PIKE is a great fork, 20mm axle, good weight, and you can dial it down a bit if the 140mm is too much travel.

I ran a PIKE on my Spot for a while and noticed no wheel flop.

If weight is important go air front and back. What ever you do get yourself a fork that will bring out the best in that bike.

Outcast
    The Pike forks I have all have the Push rebound assembly installed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Falta View Post
    I'm interested to know how you like the 650b front? I'm 6'6" and ride an 05 xxl Spot and have been thinking about trying a 650b front. This frame with it's 26.5" top tube just fits so good I hate to change but might try some upgrades. Thanks!
    I've been trying a 650b on my 5-spot with a the current fork (Fox Vanilla 125). Seems to create too much wheel flop.

That 650b wheel knocks off couple of degrees of head angle so the normally 69 degree front end becomes close to 67 degrees - a bit too shallow for normal trail riding.

That same 650b wheel on my other bike (which has a 72 degree head angle ) works great, giving me a nice, stable ride on twisty singletrack.

try driving your car less
    There is some wheel flop with the 650b up front. You feel it right away. But then it feels fine. It is just such an easy thing to try. When I went back to a 26 in the front for a ride it felt super squirrely. It's all relative.
    Only boring people get bored.