Lopen is sneller....
    Oct 2003

fork for future 5 Spot owner (she's a feather weight)

Okay weíve made the choice and itís going to be the 5 Spot, thanks for all the input guys. And the bike comparator proved very useful.

So now we have this other choice left and thatís what fork to go for. Iíve heard some good things about the Minute 2:0 and the Fox Talas. But I have also heard that the Talas could be a difficult fork for lighter people (53 kgs) that it sets deep in its travel with a lower air pressure. The Minute on the other hand might be insensitive to small impact because of the SPV thing.

Hmmmmm or maybe we should better go for a coil.

Thanks for your advice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=steve3]And maybe a Z1 SL would fit in that list quite nicely.

QUOTE]

If she is short, either of the 120 mm Zokes would increase standover, as well as reduce weight. Is the Marathon SL available in 120? I would be cutting all the weight I could for a smaller woman.

~~~~~~~~
    Fox seems to be doing a good job for us lightweights, I'm 145lbs and running a Vanilla, the SO is 125lbs. and on the Talas.

It's nice how they give you all those springs with the Vanilla, someone less than 145 will probably want to get the lightest spring, which doesn't come with the fork.

The SO fell in love with my Vanilla plushness and ended up with the Talas to save some weight and provide more tuning options. She truly likes it, I've done a few rides on it as well and agree.

mtbr member

Marathon and Romic Spring

Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi
    Okay weíve made the choice and itís going to be the 5 Spot, thanks for all the input guys. And the bike comparator proved very useful.

So now we have this other choice left and thatís what fork to go for. Iíve heard some good things about the Minute 2:0 and the Fox Talas. But I have also heard that the Talas could be a difficult fork for lighter people (53 kgs) that it sets deep in its travel with a lower air pressure. The Minute on the other hand might be insensitive to small impact because of the SPV thing.

Hmmmmm or maybe we should better go for a coil.

Thanks for your advice.
    I am heavier (65 Kg) but I did have some set up problems with the Talas, on a different bike, because of my weight: it was indeed a bit difficult to find the air pressure that did not cause the fork to settle too low in its travel. It has 125mm of travel so it is not a big problem but ....

I personally would pick a Marathon S (coil) 120mm, it is a great fork, not too heavy (4.2 before cutting the steerer), and it would complement the 5-spot perfectly. I have a Z1 MCR 2001 that is similar to the Marathon (same weight 10mm more travel) and it works perfectly. Alternatively the 120 SL will save half a pound ... but it is air.

Careful with the ROMIC SPRING! I would get a 350 lbs Spring for the Romic (or at least have both a 350 and 400). I am 145lbs vs 116) and the right spring turned out to be a 400, the 450 was way too stiff.