mtbr member
    May 2004

Forgive the non-turner content, icy riding inside!!

Ice, ice baby...Norway style!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

No Turnercontent, but posted by a Turner-rider :-)
    I think you will forgive me.

A friend did a hike a bike up one of what is a fireroad climb in the summer. Now it's more like a superice-and-slick bobsleigh track.

His Santa Cruz, 450 20mm wooden screws and a fair bit of craziness he shot a short film.

We do what we have to do to get by winter!

Right click, save as... it is 80MB!!

http://www.s-fjeldheim.com/ice.wmv
    ----------------------------------------
    Jorgen
    Trondheim, Norway
    Spec Stumpy Comp FSR 29er
    Turner DHR 2005, drilled

Moosehead
    that's mildly insane jorgen. nice way to get a winter buzz on. can you post up more details and still close ups of the tires/screws?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    screws are duct-taped on the back to avoid the heads tearing up the inner tube. I guess 10 to 15mm of the screws rips the ice.

Jorgen
    Trondheim, Norway
    Turner DHR 2005, drilled

No, that's not phonetic
    That looks familiar, though as a rule we try to only ride up on ice. Your friend's tires must generate an impressive amount of grip because your normal studded tire would not allow anything close to what he was pulling in those video shots.

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Team Sanchez
    Wow, that took a while to load! Very cool vid. Tell your buddy nice work on the editing. I can't believe how well his tires were hooking up!
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    That looks familiar, though as a rule we try to only ride up on ice. Your friend's tires must generate an impressive amount of grip because your normal studded tire would not allow anything close to what he was pulling in those video shots.
    What you describe is what "normal" people do in winter here as well. Normal Nokian studded tires for trail-riding. Several people here make these homemade things just to check how it works, or for that one day at the skilifts during winter.

Nokian Freddiez Revenge don't work for riding like this at all, they would let go easily. On "normal" trails they hook up very well though. Homemade studds like this would not work for trailriding at all. The fireroad he rides down here is pretty steep too, much steeper than it looks. It is usually used for climbing to the trailhead during summer, a 20-30 minute climb :-)
    Jorgen
    Trondheim, Norway
    Turner DHR 2005, drilled

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    no shyt! less slide than dirt. loved the truck goin by part. kinda put it all into perspective.
    No, I'm NOT back!