mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Flux vs. Kona Four Deluxe

I know, I know, the Kona is not near the quality of the Flux. I'm a Turner fan myself and would love to own a Flux. I have an RFX already and know the quality and the ride. But heck, the Kona is about 1/3 the price of the Flux so that's the motivation to getting one.

So, comparing ride quality ONLY, does anyone have experience on both frames?
    We Ride In God's Country!

Rolling
    i retract my comment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    And a Skoda and a Porsche are the same, 4 wheels engine and a steering wheel !

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Kona rode real nice compared to my old fuel, though not as stiff as the turners, still nice non the less I was impressed - they ride better than they look put it that way. You can almost with 100% confidence also say that the turner pivot bushes will out last the kona's bearings by double. Dont get me wrong its not a huge cost to replace bearings but just a pain.

Kona's a capable bike - depends if your feeling extravagant or not IMO

mtbr member
    My brother and I looked at Kona's for him and I remember us both being turned away by their warranty, can't remember what it was though. You'll want to consider more than just the ride.

There have been some nice used Fluxes sold recently for $500 to $800. Search the used market for a bit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I moved from a Salsa El Santo to my Turner Flux. Having ridden several others 4" full suspension bikes, the flux fit the bill for fit, geometry, stiffness and the ride. I'd look for a used TNT bike... now that everyone is uber-gay for the DW frames, these things can be found cheap.

Also, Turner replaced a front triangle free of charge after 3 years of use caused a crack.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by dogvet
    And a Skoda and a Porsche are the same, 4 wheels engine and a steering wheel !
    You'd be surprised to know just how similar they are these days.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    You'd be surprised to know just how similar they are these days.

_MK
    I prefer the Skoda since Squeaky does not have one of those (WTF is a Skoda?)

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    I prefer the Skoda since Squeaky does not have one of those (WTF is a Skoda?)
    Czech car. They produced some really atrocious stuff in the communist times, although, quite nice for commie standards. (Think air cooled, sub 50hp, not very reliable).

Now they're part of the VW group and as such are part owners of Porche. They essentially make stripped down versions of the Jettas, Passats, etc.

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yeah, i've been looking for a non-dw flux in a small for months now, nothing.

the kona warranty is great, four years. and wheelworld has them for $450. a flux is great but a new one is four times the price of this new kona frame, though it is an oem, still new under warranty.

can i justify a $1500 price difference? hard to say. i'm prolly not gonna ride this bike very much either since my rfx is my main rig. might as well keep this second rig cheap.

mtbr member
    Go for it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    took me a year in the uk to to find a 2nd hand Flux but I think it was worth the wait.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    myitch,

did you get the measurement?

Get the Flux, it's amazing and worth the money. The bike will last for years!!! (Well, until you get bike envy over newer models)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliMTBR
    myitch,

did you get the measurement?

Get the Flux, it's amazing and worth the money. The bike will last for years!!! (Well, until you get bike envy over newer models)
    i got a measurement on the small dw but not the tnt. still would like to get that one.

yeah, the flux is nice but price diff is also a large gap. heck the kona's got a four yr warranty too and only $450 new. a used flux would prolly be more than that also.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch
    i got a measurement on the small dw but not the tnt. still would like to get that one.

yeah, the flux is nice but price diff is also a large gap. heck the kona's got a four yr warranty too and only $450 new. a used flux would prolly be more than that also.
    So what exactly are you hoping to hear? Sounds like your mind is pretty made up. You won't be any less cool if you go for the Kona if that's your worry.

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    [QUOTE=myitch]yeah, i've been looking for a non-dw flux in a small for months now, nothing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One week ago , I saw a HL Turner Flux small frame (ebay) winning bid $ 485