Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flux TNT vs. HL

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Flux TNT vs. HL

Hey Guys,
    I was able to participate in a true head to head comparison of TNT versus horst link Flux's. I have a 2005 Flux obviously equiped with horst link. My friend got a 2006 demo Flux, obviously with TNT. We rode on Monday. Both bikes are medium. Both bikes have the same rear shock, both shocks had exactly the same pressure. Both bikes also had the same tires front and rear, also with same pressures. The component spec is identical except for the forks. The dirt was perfect. It had rained a couple days earlier, so traction was abundant. We had about a 2 mile paved climb. We traded bikes several times, and could not distinguish a difference in pedaling. Next was about a 4 mile fire road climb. Loose, sandy dirt and fairlt steep and rocky. Again we traded bikes back and forth. We could not tell a difference. We got to the top of the climb and prepared for the descent. We lowered the seats of both bike to the same height. The dh is semi-technical, rocky and very flowy. When we would get to the more technical sections, we would trade backs back and forth. We hit each section several times on each bike. Handling was exactly the same. Which is what you would expect from 2 bikes with identical geometry. What was most interesting was the we could not tell any difference in the more technical sections. We would even brake in turns and over rocks, purposefully making small errors. Again we could not tell them apart. Bottom line-We both had a great time on the ride.

Brass Nipples!
    Good stuff. This is one of the first comparisons that should actually mean something with such identical setups.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Outcast
    Were you both carrying the same amount of water, wearing the same clothing, and using helmets identical in weight? No!?! How can you call this a fair comparison?

Sir, are you for real?

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Were you both carrying the same amount of water, wearing the same clothing, and using helmets identical in weight? No!?! How can you call this a fair comparison?

Sir, are you for real?
    I bet they had a better chain on the TNT bike to compensate for it's non HL suspension.

Why didn't you swap the rears between bikes on the trail - now that would have made this test realistic. Come on guys, no more of this BS, subjective testing

This is all in fun...due to other recent test posts. Thanks for the effort Slomoe. Don't let it discourage you.
    Last edited by SSINGA; 10-26-2005 at 12:31 PM.
    Nothing to see here.

Rolling
    I just wish the tester had more than one post on mtbr to really add confidence to this comparison.
    Last edited by lidarman; 10-26-2005 at 11:56 AM.

My cup runneth over
    No reviews without pictures allowed! Please post some shots of your and your friend's bikes. It would likely help the regular doubters here on your first post.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    I bet they had a better chain on the TNT bike to compensate for it's non HL suspension.

Why didn't you swap the rears between bikes on the trail - now that would have made this test realistic. Come on guys, no more of this BS, subjective testing
    C'mon....we all know this can't be a real test since it is physically impossible for there to be no brake dive!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Good stuff. Thanks for taking the time to do this. This also agrees with the data that DT posted.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    Good stuff. Thanks for taking the time to do this. This also agrees with the data that DT posted.
    Thanks for what?

Actually doing a test ride?

or making up a fake account to do a troll post?

I would love to give the benefit of doubt but you should question everything that is posted on this in the current atmosphere.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    I just wish the tester had more than one post on mtbr to really add confidence to this comparison.
    They rode. They posted. Maybe Zilla can add this to his review page.

How many posts do you need to see to feel confident?

Seriously, I don't see how # of posts equates to ridng experience. Maybe it won't hold the same weight as posts by Zilla , Tscheezy, or Crash (among others), but it's at least a comparison.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    C'mon....we all know this can't be a real test since it is physically impossible for there to be no brake dive!
    Fo's new user title needs to be "Pot Stirrer"
    Nothing to see here.

Rolling
    They rode. They posted. Maybe Zilla can add this to his review page.

How many posts do you need to see to feel confident?

Seriously, I don't see how # of posts equates to ridng experience. Maybe it won't hold the same weight as posts by Zilla , Tscheezy, or Crash (among others), but it's at least a comparison.
    Do you believe everything you read without questioning it at all?

The only way I will feel completely confident is to ride one myself. That is, perhaps what you should consider. And yes, a review by Zilla, etc carries more weight. Just like the followers of Dave Turner being confident in Turner due to his reputation, a review here must have the same reputation in this trolling environment.

And like I alluded to, it's only a comparison if it's a real comparison. You have to assume it's not a troll post! I'm not saying it IS a troll post, but it very well could be and thus, I will take it with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by lidarman; 10-26-2005 at 02:19 PM.

Lay off the Levers
    I hate to be a sceptic but the timing and content of this first post has my troll senses twiching. SlowMoe, I apologize for the paranoia and don't be discouraged from posting more, but the temporary trolling has been hectic around here lately and since your very first post, well, you know.... Maybe some pix could help.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    sweet...let me add that subtitle to my handle..

Team Blindspot

I'm going to have to chime in here, being an eye doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade

Sir, are you for real?

do you both have identical visual acuity, what about color vision and depth perception? Do you wear contacts? If so, what type? Do you both wear identical contacts? What type of glasses, if any do you wear? What lens material? I could go on!

These are just a few factors that canl have aprofound effects on how a bike handles.

You boys need to take this up a few notches before you start this TNT vs. HL war!
    Astigmatic Visionary

Lay off the Levers
    Well don't you have to ride a rigid bike between swaps, y'know to clense the pallet?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Maybe you're right, but it seems like a positive post.

Trolls usually like to cause trouble and start arguments, like that @ss clown humping my leg in the other thread

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Well don't you have to ride a rigid bike between swaps, y'know to clense the pallet?
    Wouldn't a Ventana work for that?

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nothing to see here.

banned
    Oct 2005
    You shure are fickle old coot."Let's see. You joined MTBR today." changes when you like the result.Leave the frame testing to people who can ride rather than only pose please.

Bite Me.
    So I guess this confirms that TNT really stands for "Tony Neutralizing Technology"? I'm going to ride my SS now.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    OK Fellas,
    Just wanted to address a few things. As for me being new to MTBR.com, I am not new. I have been selling in the classifieds for 5 or 6 years. I do not post in the forums, but occassionally thru to see what's going on. This is infact my first membership in any internet forum. However, I have been riding mountain bikes since 1990, so maybe you all can welcome me here.
    A little bit of skepticism is very healthy. You have the choice to believe me or to not believe me. After reading a lot of speculative posts, I felt obligated to share my test results. I know this is my first post, I am not an extroverted internet type. I now have something relevent to contribute to this forum. I feel like these test results fill an information gap that has existed since Turner announced TNT.
    Moe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMoe
    I feel like these test results fill an information gap that has existed since Turner announced TNT.
    Moe
    And that's an understatement. Thanks for both of posts and especially your candor. Welcome to the Turner forum. Looking forward to more reviews.

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMoe
    OK Fellas,
    Just wanted to address a few things. As for me being new to MTBR.com, I am not new. I have been selling in the classifieds for 5 or 6 years. I do not post in the forums, but occassionally thru to see what's going on. This is infact my first membership in any internet forum. However, I have been riding mountain bikes since 1990, so maybe you all can welcome me here.
    A little bit of skepticism is very healthy. You have the choice to believe me or to not believe me. After reading a lot of speculative posts, I felt obligated to share my test results. I know this is my first post, I am not an extroverted internet type. I now have something relevent to contribute to this forum. I feel like these test results fill an information gap that has existed since Turner announced TNT.
    Moe
    Welcome! we still want pictures though!

Lay off the Levers
    Thanks Sloe for the review and the introduction.

Outcast
    Well, aren't we all an edgy group? Perhaps some counseling or therapy is in order. Personally, I don't sweat this tnt/hl stuff, I have lot's of other crap in my life that's way more important to worry about. Like, where should I stop for beer on my way home tonight?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast