mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Flux/Spot sizing

Hey Turner experts!

I'm 5'10" and I ride a 2010 Medium Flux. I ride with a lot of seatpost showing to get my favoured leg-extension. I measured 260mm from top of seat tube to saddle rail. I have a 410mm Thomson inline so I don't think the frame is in any danger. Nevertheless, some people have said it looks like I have too much post showing and I'd be better with a large frame with a shorter stem (maybe 70 or 60mm instead of my current 80mm). What is the thinking on this?

Is the new 650 Flux sizing the same as the 26".

Plus the same question for the Spot and Burner.

Thanks, Tim

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    When in doubt go up a size frame and down a stem size. The TT jumps are about 20mm from one size to next so you are only 1 stem length from having same/similar fit as one stem length change the other way with the other size frame. But,,,,, short front centers are never as confidence inspiring as longer in most riding.

jfb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I own a 26 & 27.5 Flux (both DWL).
    The 27.5 maybe a (very) little bit longer, but nothing really noticeable.
    If you feel confortable on your 26 Flux, I recommend you to go for the same size.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    But,,,,, short front centers are never as confidence inspiring as longer in most riding.
    Could you explain that last sentence as not sure whether you mean a longer TT with short stem is better or the reverse.

And yes I REALLY REALLY do like the idea of the new 650b Flux - I may just have to dump my Salsa El-Mariachi Ti (which is a fabulous bike but just can't compete with the Flux) and consolidate into just ONE bike LOL.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    I own a 26 & 27.5 Flux (both DWL).
    How does the 27.5 Flux compare the 26 version?

mtbr member

Flux/Spot sizing

Quote Originally Posted by Tea@Dimbola View Post
    Could you explain that last sentence as not sure whether you mean a longer TT with short stem is better or the reverse.

And yes I REALLY REALLY do like the idea of the new 650b Flux - I may just have to dump my Salsa El-Mariachi Ti (which is a fabulous bike but just can't compete with the Flux) and consolidate into just ONE bike LOL.
    Dump Salsa El Mar Ti for a flux....really.

Kiwi that Flew

Flux/Spot sizing

Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    But,,,,, short front centers are never as confidence inspiring as longer in most riding.
    Some people saw that smaller frames are more fun (don't they?), to throw around thru twisty single track etc.

Tea - I am 5'9" on a 2010 with 245mm of post extension as you describe. I have a 711mm bar and a 70mm stem on my Flux, adding that I have a positive 'ape index' whereby my armspan is 4" longer that my height! I could therefore fit on a larger frame but I do like riding fast uk trail centres so like the feel of a small bike. My 2010 Spot has a 800/50 bar/stem combo that is totally confidence inspiring.
    All this said I would love to try out a large frame before I buy my next Turner.

deano

Kiwi that Flew

Flux/Spot sizing

For your interest - Here also is a response from DT to my own email query regarding top tube lengths to TurnerBikes (Keeping in mind that this email was in Oct 2012 and that 2013 Fluxs and Burners have longer TTs that the 2010 models):

Hi Dean,

The Top Tube lengths for the medium 5 Spot has been the same for years, so if you are happy with your current 2010 reach, then stay with the medium. But, due to your long arms the Lg with 15mm longer TT may be the better fit, especially with the wider bars and shorter stems of todays thinking. With the generous standover heights you should have no problem with clearance even on a lg.

Thanks for the support,

David Turner

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Funnyjr, You mis-read me : - I already have a 26" Flux and I ride either it or the Salsa as the mood takes me. I love both bikes but have concluded I can manage without the Salsa but I could NOT do without the Flux. I was saying the new 650B, 120mm Flux is an attractive one bike solution for generalist rider like myself.

Thanks for that Deano. It sounds like I like a lot of leg extension for my height. I'd like to try a large with short stem but I'm cautious after test-riding stuff which looked right on paper but felt wrong in reality.

jfb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hi, I made a quick comparo on the 650B forum.
    Here is the link: Turner Flux Ver. 3.0

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    Hi, I made a quick comparo on the 650B forum.
    Here is the link: Turner Flux Ver. 3.0
    Thanks jfb - good review!