Thread: Flux riders!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Flux riders!

I'm considering getting a Flux, but like many I am worried that I'm going to wish I got the 5 spot instead. I was wondering can the Flux do the same things the 5 spot is doing in the Turner Videos on their website. In other words, can I get agressive on this bike and on descents is this not going to be as plush as the 5spot? The reason that I am interested in the Flux is that I do a lot of climbing - but I also want the freedom to take a nice 3 or 4 foot drop when the situation arises. I've heard a lot of great things about the Flux - curious to hear from you owners out there. Thanks.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    As a Flux owner and having recently test rode a 'Spot, I would say that a Spot climbs well enough (not much slower than a Flux) and gets after it on the descents. If you're not planning on racing your new rig, the 5 Spot may be a better choice.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    i just learned the flux and the spot share the same rear triangle and the rp3 has worked on the spot well enough so thats a non issue. however the front end may not be up to a string of 4' drops. the spot may be yer ride but i gotta tell ya, i friigin SO dig my flux!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Got my spot a few months back and was torn between that and the flux. Happy with the flux but there is always a constant doubt in my mind that the flux would have suited the type of riding i do 90% of the time!

If only I could afford both........

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Thanks for the input.

Seems like I might be safer with the 5 spot - as I understand the RP3 really lightens the feel of the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Can't lose situation...

I have a Flux, but almost bought the 5-Spot. You can't go wrong with either, but it sounds like the Spot might be better suited to your needs. I have used the Flux for several 3-4 foot drops with no problem and it climbs like crazy, but I think on the long, technical descents and doing these drops consistently you would be better off with the Spot...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    3-4 foot drops pushes you straight into the 5 spot.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

striker!

Take a look at this thread

I took a trip to Moab earlier this year and took both a Flux and a Spot. The terrain varied from trail to trail which determined which bike I took. I posted the trip here on the Turner Forum and it shows pics from each day and has comments and the ensuing discussions. Take a look, I think this will give you a good feel of what each bike is suited for. It sounds like to me that you really need a 5 spot. I wouldn't take my Flux of a 4 foot to flat drop ...

More Moab Pictures - Spot and Flux

S

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Thanks for the link to those pics.

I think I am sold on the idea of a 5spot. I want something that can give me a little leeway in my riding styles. Those are great pics. Thanks again