mtbr member

Flux pedal strike.

Pedal strike.

I have never had this issue on any other steed I have spent a lot of time on ( except the stokers pedals on my Mtb. tandem, but thats different). Frustrated, it is probably time to move on to a different frame. Yes, the sag is set proper. Enjoy the way it rides in all other ways but time to find something with a higher BB.

Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Turner's geometry lists BB height @ 12.8" on a 120mm travel bike - would be @ least 3/4" too low for my riding preferances. I demo'd an older Specialized FSR that had a 13" BB height and hit the pedals left & right. Dealer @ the demo session told mne I needed to "time" my pedals better. I told him I have better things to focus on than absolute optimum pedal position.

mtbr member
    Can I ask how big you are?
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    6'3" 225 fairly agressive rider.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tductape View Post
    6'3" 225 fairly agressive rider.
    I think the pedal strikes are partly associated with the dw link. I say that because as a big guy myself (6"1, 200), I find I get a lot of pedal strikes on my spot. MY BB is close to 13.6" (similar to my other bikes) but I still hit my pedals a lot more than I am used to. I think it is because of the the shock moving deeply into the travel over relatively minor things.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    A 650B front wheel will lift you up a bit, and in my experience, a bit matters a lot when it comes to BB heights. Several people I know like what it does to the Flux in terms of handling, too, including at least one Turner guy and my wife.

Be thankful you don't have one of those new Specialized Enduros with 155 travel and a 13 inch BB. I think Shimano paid the designers in order to pump up pedal sales!

Finally, there are a few well-reviewed flat pedals available now that are considerably thinner than the ones you are sporting.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Pedal strike.

I have never had this issue on any other steed I have spent a lot of time on ( except the stokers pedals on my Mtb. tandem, but thats different). Frustrated, it is probably time to move on to a different frame. Yes, the sag is set proper. Enjoy the way it rides in all other ways but time to find something with a higher BB.

I agree, you do need a new bike....a DW Sultan! The bigger wheels will suit you better in a variety of ways, not to mention reducing pedal strikes.

jrm
    mtbr member
    What size frame?
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

Over the Hill
    If it is a compromise between low bottom bracket or going over the bars..I will take the pedal strikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Do you think it could be related to lack of mid-stroke support in your rear shock?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have a 2008 Turner Flux (with the TNT rear suspension). When I first started to ride it (3 years ago as I bought the frame used), I had a LOT of pedal strikes. It has a listed 12.8" bottom bracket. It's funny, but as time has gone by, I almost never strike my pedal. I just naturally adjust for it when going over objects by timing my pedaling. I don't even think about doing it. On the other hand, I like the low center of gravity when railing the corners and at high speeds.

jfb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    southacres, it's exactly the same for me: natural adjustment without thinking about it after a few rides, but with a DW FLux...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm View Post
    Do you think it could be related to lack of mid-stroke support in your rear shock?
    It is and that is what I was getting in my post. For us big guys, the combination of the dw link, with a relatively high leverage ratio, and a crappy fox shox, results in a pretty saggy and sloppy ride.

mtbr member
    I appreciate all your input. Haven't had time yet to respond to everything stated. I am very curious about the rear shock and am open to changing it if there is a better option.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I appreciate all your input. Haven't had time yet to respond to everything stated. I am very curious about the rear shock and am open to changing it if there is a better option.
    At your size, you might want to try a lower volume air canister for the shock. It's about a $60 experiment, and takes about 5 minutes to install, with no special tools or mechanical aptitude required.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    I agree with others that you might be riding too far into the mid stroke of your shock. If anything, DW-Link linkages are known to be more progressive and ride higher in their travel.

parts leftover

Flux pedal strike.

If you aren't already riding a 120mm fork, that will make a difference. Otherwise, try a low volume air sleeve as Kosmo suggested and/or PUSH tuning to keep the shock from blowing through as much travel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
    I agree with others that you might be riding too far into the mid stroke of your shock. If anything, DW-Link linkages are known to be more progressive and ride higher in their travel.
    That was the rumors and maybe the case for some, but for bigger guys, the stock RP23 does not offer much support.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Pedal strike.

Low bottom brackets rule. But you gotta know how to ride them.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    650B front, largest volume rear tire you can get, an extra 10 psi in shock. And if you still need more, put on 170 mm cranks. All the tricks I did and now am satisfied. I ride a lot of rocks, roots and off camber.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Wait a minute, a 650b up front on a Flux? Is that legal? BUt seriously, that does sound cool. I am wondering if I can fit a 650b wheel and tire in the Fox 26" specific fork. If so, I am definitely giving this combo a try for the moto feel. I am in the process of trying to track a rocker for my flux and will do this if I can get one.

Never heard of this... thanks for mentioning.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Flux pedal strike.

Most fox forks take 650b no problem.