No, that's not phonetic

Flux owners: I need a pic of your bike bottomed out...

Could a Flux owner please totally deflate their shock and compress the rear suspension fully and post a pic of the resulting tire clearance in relation to the front der stop? I am wondering how it would be to adapt that frame to a snowbike and would like to judge the bottomed tire clearance. The Spot actually is extremely well suited, but I am curious about the Flux too. If this has already been posted, I apologize and perhaps someone can point me to the thread. TIA.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

over researcher
    I didn't follow your exact instructions, but these should work. I removed the top bolt on the shock, and bottomed the rear triangle to the seat tube. There is 15mm of clearance between the bottom of the derailleur and the top of the swingarm. This is with a 48T chain ring. For reference, there is about 4" between the bottom of the derailleur and the center of BB.

On a side note, tomorrow evening I should have my new, to me, compact drive blackTurbine LP crankset installed with 22-32-44 rings. Oh boy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

No, that's not phonetic
    I appreciate the effort, but none of those actually speak to my inquiry. I was hoping to find out what the distance between the tire and the seat tube (or specifically the front der stop) is with the shock bottomed.

Anyone else own a Flux AND a camera?

over researcher
    What's the problem? You ask for a gallon of milk and I give you some pretzels? Quit complaining!!!

Now for what you asked for. This is with a Fast Trak Pro D2 2.0 tire. C to C of shock mounting bolts at 5".
    Attached Images Attached Images

No, that's not phonetic
    Now that's what I call service. Thanks, man. I gotta do a little figgurin and see if the Flux is a snowmachine candidate too. Interesting (and nice) that Turner moved all the front der cable stops to the side of the tube out of harm's way.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    i just saw this and it sounds interesting. squish tells me you converted a spot or a pack, i dont recall which, to a mega snow bike but i dont see the thread. link me!

edit: nevermind. yer a sick man. a very smart, very ingenious, very determened, very creative yet sick man.
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 03-22-2006 at 01:43 AM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Team Blindspot

Hey Cactus

Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    i just saw this and it sounds interesting. squish tells me you converted a spot or a pack, i dont recall which, to a mega snow bike but i dont see the thread. link me!

edit: nevermind. yer a sick man. a very smart, very ingenious, very determened, very creative yet sick man.
    I grew up in Sioux Falls, I live in Colorado now. I just got up and saw you posted in this thread in the middle of the night there in Iowa.And this isn't the first time. I keep asking myself, "what the hell is he doing up all night in Iowa in the winter ?" And then on second thought, I don't want to know

Anyway, maybe we can get together for a ride when I'm back visiting my father in SF.

Later!
    Astigmatic Visionary

banned
    I visit Iowa sometimes, so perhaps we can do a Homer run sometime.

id be more than happy to show anyone around. its not bad here ride wise, not as good as many places but suprisingly good just the same. and the beer is cold and cheap so weve got that goin for us. just let me know when yer in town and ill provide the dirt.

as far as the late nights, sometimes i just wake up and im bored so i stop in to see whats what. last night i went to bed early then odus bumped canycorns bum knee and woke us up. seems he needed to use the little dogs room so by the time he wanted back inside i was pretty much awake for a cpl hours. nuthin too wacky im afeared.
    No, I'm NOT back!

banned
    Man, the descriptions of your life are great:
    "The little dog's room", also know as the backyard. I'll make sure to look out for landmines when I stop by for a bbq.

with all the snow and rain i havent been out back to scoop so its a bit tricky and i stay mostly on the patio when tossin his toys or grillin diner. no grass wrestlin for me! itll be yer job to fix this little issue when ya show up, poop chicken. now hurry up before the missus puts me to task.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    id be more than happy to show anyone around. its not bad here ride wise, not as good as many places but suprisingly good just the same. and the beer is cold and cheap so weve got that goin for us. just let me know when yer in town and ill provide the dirt.

as far as the late nights, sometimes i just wake up and im bored so i stop in to see whats what. last night i went to bed early then odus bumped canycorns bum knee and woke us up. seems he needed to use the little dogs room so by the time he wanted back inside i was pretty much awake for a cpl hours. nuthin too wacky im afeared.
    I may be out in a couple weeks bringing the kids to visit grandpa (who can watch them while I take off and ride) I don't know what conditions will be like then, but I'll be back in May as well.

I'll give you a shout when I have exact dates.

Later!
    Astigmatic Visionary

might not be so good in 2 weeks but we shall see. may should be killer though. give a shout. itll be good to meet more folks.
    No, I'm NOT back!

No, that's not phonetic
    If I could be so rude as to inturrupt your fascinating discussion of landmines in cc's backyard...

...I measured the casing height of the Gazzaloddi 3.0, and it is 2 3/4" tall (inflated and mounted on a Large Marge). Royta showed above that his tire is 1 3/4" tall in the casing, and there is just shy of 1" of air between his tire and the seat tube at bottomout. This makes me think the 3.0 could buzz the seat tube. The slight unknown is the effect of the longer seat and chain stays the Pack rear end would introduce. The tire may end up just kissing the tube...

We now return you to dog turds...

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    If I could be so rude as to inturrupt your fascinating discussion of landmines in cc's backyard...

...I measured the casing height of the Gazzaloddi 3.0, and it is 2 3/4" tall (inflated and mounted on a Large Marge). Royta showed above that his tire is 1 3/4" tall in the casing, and there is just shy of 1" of air between his tire and the seat tube at bottomout. This makes me think the 3.0 could buzz the seat tube. The slight unknown is the effect of the longer seat and chain stays the Pack rear end would introduce. The tire may end up just kissing the tube...

We now return you to dog turds...
    Now I'm glad I included the second photo. How would you fit that tire in the triangle anyway?

No, that's not phonetic
    It clears a 6-pack triangle

over researcher
    Flux & 5-spot share the same triangle, not RFX though.

No, that's not phonetic
    Yeah, you would put an RFX rear on a Flux, like I did on my Spot, to make it a snow bike.

im sorry man. this was the wrong place for this sideline. will ya forgive me if i buy ya a beer and polish yer bike shoes in oct?
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I've been there........

I have been there....ok well sort of. It was late and dark and I'd already drank alot only to go to CC's underground shop and drink plenty more. Very good guy and very good time!

Count me in for the Iowa Homer gathering!!! It was only a 4.5 or 5 hour drive and I do have an office only an hour away............ so technically I could say I was working, right?

Thanks again Tom for the beers and cheer, the rest of the trip went fantastic you'll have to come out with me in fall if I go (plans are sort of in the works, think leaves changing, Crested Butte, and then the 8000 foot downhill in Moab) or for sure next spring. Sorry to hear about the ladies leg.

Dan

mdwestern/iowa riders and potential visitors. lets give this thread back to the cheese. im startin a new one so we dont keep steppin on toes. its the respectful thing to do.
    heres the new thread: Tour De Corn
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 03-22-2006 at 09:17 PM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscooter
    lets give this thread back to the cheese.
    Actually I don't care since I now have the info I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by cactuscooter
    will ya forgive me if i polish yer bike shoes in oct?
    As long as you don't get the shinola out of your back yard.

i still feel badly. it was kinda lame of us and im as bad as anyone with the hijackin of folks threads. im workin on my shortcomings. odus polish.... now theres a thought. as long as i use a te t-shirt im sure itll work fine.

by the way, if ya didnt see it in the other thread, i thought yer packed powder bike was pretty friggin cool. you never stop amazin me cheese.
    No, I'm NOT back!

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Yeah, you would put an RFX rear on a Flux, like I did on my Spot, to make it a snow bike.
    If you've already done this with a Spot, what would you be gaining with the Flux? A faster handling snow bike is sort of an oxymoron, isn't it?

No, that's not phonetic
    It is an academic exercise on one level. There may be Homers on xc Turners who would like to give their bikes elephantiasis. Also, I have a spare Pack rear triangle AND a Pugsley. If I picked up a Flux front triangle I could build a cool snow bike for Barny instead of a Pugs. That way she could also have a nice xc bike when it's not white out.