Thread: Flux Owners --

Time flies...

New question here. Flux Owners --

Any of you not happy with anything about your Flux??

--I'm thinking about adding one to my stable soon, and please, let's not speculate about TNT just yet. Just impressions of what you already ride.

thnx!
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    one issue with the RP3 which was replaced with 1 phone call to Turner. Solid bike great ride

cask conditioned
    I'm getting tired of my Flux screaming at me, "Faster b!tch! FASTER!"
    Buy a bell, help the trails....

http://www.corbamtb.com/store/store.shtml

where are we eating?

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    im tired of not being able to ride it every day. friggin work! now go buy one!
    No, I'm NOT back!

gravity curmudgeon
    Flux love here. It is a fantastic ride, fast and light but can still make me think I am on a longer travel bike when the going gets rough.

so true cow. 2 weeks ago i did a weenie little 1.5 mile d/h race on mine. it wasnt much to get excited about, a few ultra sharp corners and some long low air but nuthin too techy. it was, however, very friggin fast and over tons of roots and some baby heads all in soft off camber soil. this bike rocked!

last week i took her down some stairs and muddy 1 track. same deal. this thing kicks every high expectation i had square in the nads and shows me more is there waiting for me to catch up to it. amazing ride.

this is now my 2nd turner and i may own a 3rd in the next 2 or 3 months. david says pack, i wanted a spot but hes pretty convincing.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Mexican e-rider

Stickers

mmmmm.... only fault I can find is the "Turner" stickers come off pretty easily.... oh that and the ICT ones (not a problem anymore though!)
    "Hell, the Titus Moderator can't pass a cantina without gettin' the shakes"

yep...

Quote Originally Posted by elmadaleno
    mmmmm.... only fault I can find is the "Turner" stickers come off pretty easily.... oh that and the ICT ones (not a problem anymore though!)
    but i just dont like em. they look flimsy and i prefer the old bold look. take a peek at my upgrade. feel free to copy as i havent secured a patent, yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

Never enough time to ride
    The next thing you know, everyone will be doing it and Cactuscorn will be sending them his own "special spatula" stickers .

I do like the older stickers better though. I wasn't riding his bike last week, but it sure looked like it was working really really well for him, especially the enormous amount of mud clearance. That was some nasty crap, still picking it out of the nooks and crannies on the Burner man, but a great ride any how.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

what a hoot!

"special spatula stickers"! damn thats friggin funny man. put this spatula on yer bike and ya owe me a beer or ill sue.

surprise, rain. surprise, instant no traction and tons of sticky sloppy mud. welcome to siuox city pal. why do ya think ive had so much time to post this week? cant friggin ride till it drys out which should be this weekend after we got more rain earlyer this week.

for fast xc and light air with big bumps, ive known no better than my flux. cant wait to get it back home in the desert! hurry up and get to work squish before i lose my shot this year!
    No, I'm NOT back!

I'm workin on it, I'm workin on it. You gotta e me those pics, my dad doesn't believe me about that stuff. Can't believe you got more rain, and here my only excuse is this bloody cold.

I'll stop hijacking this thread now, and back to your regularly scheduled programming.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

Time flies...

I'm getting tired of my Flux screaming at me, "Faster b!tch! FASTER!"

That was my impression when I demo'ed one awhile back. I ended up choosing a spot because it felt so different (and good!) to me...something I could grow in to.
    However, I keep catching myself wishing I was on a Flux from time to time..
    I really like the spot and have a lot to learn from it, but too often I wish I was just making better time. I suspect I'll add a Flux to the line up before too long, then when I want to ride, I can 'choose my weapon', so to speak.

Thanks for all the POSITIVE posts! Keep them coming!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop
    No. I even dig the stickers.

What's not to like about the love child of the Nitrous and 5 Spot? It's equally at home racing or trail riding- by far the fastest all around bike I have ridden. The Turner 29"er could very well claim that crown once it arrives, but it won't be easy surpassing the standard set by the Flux.

I'm lucky enough to also have a 5 Spot (with a completely different set up), and like being able to choose between the two based on which trails I'm riding and how I feel on a particular day.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Good job!

The Flux is awesome. It has exceeded my expectations. The suspension is responsive to the terrain, its quick and light. It handles wonderfully on the "ups" and "downs". Great in the curves and corners. I have had no issues with this bike.

mtbr member
    I've been riding mine right at a year now, and still can't believe how much I enjoy it every time I go for a ride. Best I've ever had!

Time flies...

All positive!

(except for the recent 'carnage') Everyone sounds VERY happy w/ their Flux.

Now if I can just get this car sold, I can place my order...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

some positive comments

Great to hear positive comments about a Turner product. At one time it was always positive, then this whole TNT controversy made it look like the Turner line was going down the tubes. I cannot believe any Turner product is going to be less than well built, finely crafted and great riding. The difference between a good bike and a great bike is in how well the particular bike is crafted and DT has that part down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Greg from Turner sent out my replacement this morning! 1 e-mail and one phone call just to follow up...5 mins. How's that for customer service

Mexican e-rider

New Decals

Hey Cactuscorn, I hope you don't go green with envy! checkout these decals!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

nice! are those last years spot stickers? i like, elma.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by elmadaleno
    Hey Cactuscorn, I hope you don't go green with envy! checkout these decals!!
    Ding Ding Ding....We have a winner!!! That would look great with a Silver Reba with the white decals....

oh yeah! NOW whos the winner?! ya gonna do it? shame to downgrade the fork but, damn that would look sweet!
    No, I'm NOT back!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop

--I'm thinking about adding one to my stable soon, and please, let's not speculate about TNT just yet. Just impressions of what you already ride.

thnx!
    I Have one of the demo Fluxes from last year and it has been absolutely the bike I wanted it to be. It is just as fast uphill as the Stinger it replaces and is a smokin' descender for a 4" XC racer/light trailbike. The frame and RP3 have been faultless. I enjoy just looking at it as a piece of mechanical art when it's hanging on its rack at home. If you have owned another Turner in the past, you'll take to a Flux immediately. I don't know the secret sauce that DT puts into his frames, but it's so easy to hop off of one and get on another and feel immediately at home. At the Interbike Demo, I went from a Nitrous to a Flux to a Spot and they all felt familiar and comfortable from the get-go. It's amazing.

Mexican e-rider

Spot Stickers

Yup, I got them on the Turner store. Unfortunately the other side did not quite end up as straight as this one but it kicks a$$.

Cactuscorn: are you running a Float 130?

hi again elmo. i saw those and considered them alot before goin with the grey. both look sweet and im ot sure whos is sweeter. thats acctually a '04 talus rlc i got on closeout from one of my bike vendors earlyer this year. i shoulda been arested for theft at the price i paid. tryin to finagel another one as we speak for my old trusty burner. gawd i love this fork.
    No, I'm NOT back!

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

flux vs burner

Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    hi again elmo. i saw those and considered them alot before goin with the grey. both look sweet and im ot sure whos is sweeter. thats acctually a '04 talus rlc i got on closeout from one of my bike vendors earlyer this year. i shoulda been arested for theft at the price i paid. tryin to finagel another one as we speak for my old trusty burner. gawd i love this fork.
    Heya cactus, how does the flux compare to the burner? I'd imagine not that much difference, 100grams lighter or so, little more travel. Is the ride about the same? Worth upgrading?

Thanks

not even in the same area code. quite simply put, it does everything better. everything. how do i say it..... its like divin a older porsche for 10 years and thinkin how cool it is, how much fun it is and how well it works. then one day the dealer says, hey, go drive this '05 911, and you discover how much better the new stuff is. you have no idea how much more the flux rocks as compared to the burner. huge! if yer askin me, i say go buy the flux and never look back. well till 2015 anyway.
    No, I'm NOT back!

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

I didn't realize you were on a '96

not even in the same area code. quite simply put, it does everything better. everything. how do i say it..... its like divin a older porsche for 10 years and thinkin how cool it is, how much fun it is and how well it works. then one day the dealer says, hey, go drive this '05 911, and you discover how much better the new stuff is. you have no idea how much more the flux rocks as compared to the burner. huge! if yer askin me, i say go buy the flux and never look back. well till 2015 anyway.
    I didn't realize when I asked that you were on a '96 burner compared to an '05 flux, there better be some difference. I wondering more about the difference between an '04 burner and an '05 flux. Seems like change was chainstays 1/4" shorter and top tube 1/2" longer, maybe 100 grams too. Was there any signifigant change to main pivot or horst link locations? I think the pivot behind/infront of the seat tube is more a strength/weight related change then suspension geometry. I'm could be wrong about that though, I'm ready to be enlightened.

yep. ike is a old guy. great history behind him too. if yer interested id be happy to tell ya.

yep. those were the geo changes and some of the reasons why the flux rides so much faster than the burner and replaced it in the lineup. i think its safe to say its the "new" burner or "burner delux" perhaps. go to the turner web site and compare the numbers, that will tell ya for sure. my old burner isnt far off those numbers but the swing arm mount did change some and the h/l point grew longer i believe. the flux is about 1/2 lb lighter if not more but im goin by memory here. the main rocker pivot swap from burner to flux, as david tells me, was to better the feel of the newer platform dampers through the shock rate change the new pivot point and flatter rockers make, a little less linear than the older version. they now have a slight riseing rate. hope this helps some.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd
    Seems like change was chainstays 1/4" shorter and top tube 1/2" longer, maybe 100 grams too.
    I weighed a large Burner that was 6.48 lbs., compared to 5.68 for my large Flux. The Burner had the Swinger shock, which weighs a bit more than the RP3, but I bet the frame itself is still a good half pound heavier. IIRC, the Burner uses the same down tube and seat tube as the 5 Spot. The paint adds a bit of weight too.

The Burner shares much of the same goemetry of the Spot as well, while the Flux is longer (even with the shorter chainstays) and lower. I won't begin to speculate as to the effect of the slightly different suspension configurations.

I will say the Flux is the epitome of what a 4" bike should be today, while the Burner seems to be a bit of a relic from the past, as one might expect from what basically amounts to a warmed over XCE. It's not a bad bike by any means, and offers probably 90% of the performance of the Flux at a very competitive (okay, obscene really) pricepoint. It's just that the Burner is a medium weight trail bike, which these days usually calls for more than 3.6" (or at most 4") of travel.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

i dont wanna shoot you down here miles, even though im tempted to as yer team just killed the hopes of thousands of ball fans, but id disagree with a couple of points you made, trivial as some may be.

the burner preceeded the xce by close to 5 years so "warmed over" may not be a accurate description of it at all. if you disreguard the sick price the burner now commands, the percentage of performance between a burner and a flux is far more than 10% in my estimation at least. hell, id give 10% to the top tube and chainstay lengths alone. then theres the revamped rocker geo, the rp3 performance as compared to anything else thats been mounted on a burner since 1994, and the far lower c of g which dramatically affects the cornering, flight and technical terrain capabilities and charicteristics. did ya know it has the same rear as a spot? i didnt till a few days ago. theres really not alot left to compare as i see it. the flux kicks its tail in all respects and that shouldnt be a big suprise to anyone. it better be superior or davids been wasteing alot of his time and our money. now im sure there will be those who like a burner better and thats cool. we all have our faves and reasons behind it. again, thats cool. my point was not to get into a this vs that argument but to show the progression of the breed and try to answer more of bop's questions. maybe this needs a new thread if we wanna continue it and thats also cool with me.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    i dont wanna shoot you down here miles, even though im tempted to as yer team just killed the hopes of thousands of ball fans, but id disagree with a couple of points you made, trivial as some may be.
    You mean the idea of kicking me while I'm down adds to the appeal of refuting my assertions? Wow, you really are a sicko!

I should say that I know next to nothing about pre '02 Turners, other than that originally there was a Burner, and a "new" bike for '03 was also called the Burner. By "warmed over XCE", I was referring to the "new" Burner sharing the exact same geometry of the '02 XCE, save for top tube length in the small (which split the difference between the XS and S XCE) and large/XL sizes (where it was lengthened).

So no, I do not know what resemblence the XCE/"new" Burner share with the older Burners, but I don't know how pertinent that is either. The point is that the Flux is significantly lighter and with geometry better suited to how most use a 4" bike nowadays, vs. the XCE at its prime.

The extra weight of the Burner could probably be more than made up for with the several hundred dollars price difference if one were working with a fixed budget, and geometry is always going to be a subjective issue. It is for these reasons, and the fact that so many are happy on their Burners (as I was on my XCE) that I am hesitant to completely dismiss the Burner as a "budget" alternative to the Flux.

i smell what yer feelin miles. you raise some damn good points in yer posts and this ones no diff. theres some things here i hadnt spent enough time considering too. and as you say, and as i mentioned, its trival at best and not that pertinant. now with that covered and both of us in agreement....

the biggest diff here is gonna be the geo and feel of the burner when compared to the flux, no matter the year of production or waht it was named in the catolog. the simplicity of the numbers will tell most of the story when comparing virtual apples here. miles, if ya havent ridden a flux and its within reason to do so, man, ya gotta try it! i thought my burner was the end all to dual suspension till i did so. it was ordered within a week. the burner is no "budget flux". yer right in that respect. but only due to the drastic diff in the 2 bikes. the burner IS however a great bike at a budget price. hows that for a compromise?

and to you bop, be brave here. drop the coin on the flux. theres just no way youll be dissapointed. well unless you get a burner and THEN try a flux. always fun tradin ideas with ya miles. peace!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    the biggest diff here is gonna be the geo and feel of the burner when compared to the flux, no matter the year of production or waht it was named in the catolog. the simplicity of the numbers will tell most of the story when comparing virtual apples here. miles, if ya havent ridden a flux and its within reason to do so, man, ya gotta try it!
    Okay, I think you're still missing a couple things:

-I do own a Flux. That's how I know how great a bike it is.
    -The model year of the Burner in question does matter.

It's not like nothing was changed between '96 and '04, and then moved ahead all at once with the introduction of the Flux. The '03/'04 Burner was a stepping stone in the evolution from the original Burner to the present day Flux, so naturally the Flux is going to be more akin to the later model Burner than the original one. While many of the same differences may exist (less weight, more travel, longer TT, etc), they are going to be less pronounced when comparing bikes one year apart rather than nine.

In other words, the question is not how the Flux compares to your '96 Burner, but how it compares to Turners ~4" model from last year, which also happened to be called a Burner (even though it had much more in common with the XCE than the original Burner). From a numbers standpoint, you're basically looking at the Flux having .15" less chainstay length, .1" lower bottom bracket, .3" longer top tube, and ~.5 lb. or more lighter. That's it; the head and seat tube angles are identical. A discerning rider could definitely feel the cumulative effects of these changes on the trail, but it's not going to completely change how a 4" Turner rides (i.e. very well).

yet again miles, i agree with just about all you say and perhaps we both are missing some part of the others point. but alas i must insist the diffs between a burner frame (pick yer year) and a flux frame are substancial in terms of ride quality. and alot of them for just the reasons you mention.

so weve got a longer t/t, shorter c/s, lower b/b, agreed? ok. based on a medium frame, lets suppose we add a platform rear damper if perhaps yers didnt come with one as i believe the pre '04's did not. i could be wrong here. then toss it on a rocker pivot thats been moved forward just shy of 3 1/2" and down 1/16". but wait, theres more! call before midnight tonight and ill throw in a rocker thats been flattened by 1 3/16". cummon miles! theres just no way you can make those types of changes and not have a huge diff in performance.

even if you take away the platform shock diff, you are still lookin at a linear rate suspension geo on the burner and a riseing rate on the flux which just happens to compliment the "stable platform" type dampers of today. in my best tv announcer boy voice... now how much would you pay?! oh, but wait! theres still more you say?! why yes, scooter, there is indeed! a very reliable source told me just the other day one of the last things turner would ever consider in the '05 to '06 change was a return to linear rate frames, and that, boys and squirles, would have kept the much loved horst link! shocking, isnt it? sorry for the pun, miles, but as you can see i had no choice. yes, a return to the old burner rocker design would have avoided ict patents, kept the horst and avoided the current shyt storm but turner had to pick a compromise and they opted for greater suspension quality rather than greater marketing value. but i digress now dont i?

another thing i question is what the angles on a 4" burner compared to a 3.6" burner from the same model year. lets say '04. considering the 4" rocker upgrade was just that, a upgrade and not offered as stock, i dont have those numbers. but i can tell you that when a longer tangent is applied to the rocker, not only will it lengthen the travel, it will steepen the s/t and h/t angles, wouldnt you agree?

so i say unto you, you friggin betcha all this changes how a 4" bike, yet alone a 4" turner bike rides. even if it sucked! alas it doesnt suck, it flat out rocks! lookin forward to yer thoughts.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Wink

Hmm, interesting subject. Sadly I have no experience on a Flux (yet ), but I can throw something else in here that may make things a bit more interesting.

I'm riding a last generation Burner, and I have to say I love it as a trail bike. Early on this year I blew up the 3-way that came on it, terrible shock any way so wasn't sad to see it go, and wanted to upgrade the travel that extra .4", but didn't want to change any of the frame numbers.

So I did some digging and found that the rear end was identical to the XCE, and the XCE used to use a very hard to find shock stroke and length. 6.5 x 1.75". This shock only comes as a Fox Vanilla RC, not the lightest thing in the world, especially with a 750# spring on it for my 220lb ass, but it allows the rear to cycle a full 4" without changing frame numbers. So it is possible to get 4" without dinking with the geo. At the cost of about a pound in weight.

I can certainly see where the pivot lay out, and shock choice on the Flux would make for a firmer pedaling bike, but I'd have to ride one properly set up to comment on the ride. The straight rate on my Burner makes for a pretty soft pedaling bike, and a magic carpet ride, where the rising rate would allow the Flux to ride higher in it's travel. And that half pound of difference is pretty significant considering frame application. I also feel the longer tt and shorter stays will play a pretty big roll in how the bike feels and handles. I haven't seen this brought up but the wheel base is also a touch shorter, only .3 inches or there about, but when your riding an ogre bike like mine, that makes a difference in the bikes ability to get through tight, technical stuff, quickly.

Just a little more info if any one is interested. I personally think the Burner is a good bike if you want a top end frame on a budget, but with todays tech, the linear rate rear is starting to become a bit dated. Hope I didn't open the can of worms to far.

happy trails...

squish
    Last edited by squish; 09-18-2007 at 10:02 AM.
    Get out and ride!

consider the can fully opened! man, this should get fun now! good call on the wheelbase. not sure why i didnt mention that as i knew it was another part of the fluxs advantages as a race/trail bike. im just always gonna be a moron huh? funny you mention the linear rate as bein kinda soft, squish (oh im so bad!). my contact tells me this was a big reason for turners departure from the whole ict/horst set up. in doing tnt he was able to keep the current feel which far surpasses the pre ict feel in turners eyes. weather you as a rider agree or not is personal choice. havin been on both, theres no other option than to go tnt in light of current happenings. now will it work as good? gawd i hope so! and fer gawds sake, lets NOT, i say NOT turn this into another h/l vs tnt, you suck, turner sucks, knee jerk, bs argument.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Yuk yuk, you so funny. And like you told me, once you've joined your a member for life, no way around the moron thing.

To me the wheel base is a pretty big thing, in more ways than one. I can see where it may not be as big a deal on smaller frames, but when you start getting up into the large and xl frame sizes things start to get a bit long and a touch slow. I'm always happy when the wheel base gets shorter on the bigger bikes, as long as it's not at the sacrifice of decent mud clearance in the rear.

I'm very glad Dave held onto the flat rockers and "sacrificed" the hl. I'm not real well versed in suspension "theory", I just know what my butt tells me, and it has no experience on the new rear ends so we will see. But I agree lets keep this on subject and completely away from the whole "tnt" fiasco for the moment.

happy trails...

squish
    Last edited by squish; 10-09-2005 at 07:17 AM.
    Get out and ride!

as another is prone to sayin.... WORD!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    lookin forward to yer thoughts.
    I don't know what else to say. I've already said I won't get into the different suspension configurations, which seems to be a large part of what you're talking about. I've owned both designs and couldn't tell you how one differs from the other- in theory or on the trail. I'll leave it to DT to sweat the details, all I know is that my XCE was a great riding bike and so is my Flux.

The RP3 is obviously superior to anything ever spec'ed on a Burner, and I suspect that has more to do with ride characteristics than angle of the rocker. At any rate one could slap a RP3 on a Burner and level the playing field in that regard, although that would negate some of the cost savings of the Burner.

I still contend the geometry of the '04 Burner and Flux are more similar than not- I bet you can't find another bike on the market with geometry closer to the Flux.

Bottom line is that we both agree the Flux is the better bike, I just don't think that takes away from the fact that the Burner is a pretty good bike in its own right. If the Flux was not an option I would be riding a Burner, and undoubtedly very happy on it as well.
    Last edited by miles e; 10-09-2005 at 08:36 PM.

fair enough miles. i really think were driveing down the same road here, its just that we get our gas at opposite sides of the double yellow lines. however, its my contention that this type of discussion cant be had unless geometry and configuration are both included. so you and i are left at a impass there. no prob, the world will keep on turning and we can still be civil.

final thoughts: ride characteristics are the direct result of things like rocker angles AND damper habits as a dualistic unit. as you discovered the swinger is lacking and the rp3 alliviates those issues. now swap them cross wise on both bikes and you will undoubtably find 4 diff ride qualities.

yes, the burner is one of the finest rideing frames ever made and the best ive ridden in recent years, except the flux. if not for my flux, i too would be on a burner, that is till my 5 spot came via ups. but thats a personal choice and has no bearing in this.

so we move on now, you and i. im sure we will meet on here again with another topic. it will be quite interesting to see where that one goes.
    No, I'm NOT back!