Viva Las Peli Taco
    Dec 2006

FLUX - o2 w/XCE Rockers - 5.5 Pack Photo's

Flux 2007 Anodized Blue

o2 with XCE rockers (soon to be upgraded to XR)

6-Pack with 5.5 Spot rockers and a 7.875x2.25 rp23 (the shock is in need of a rebuild, flea-bay bait and switch but should be fine after being PU$H'd).

Last edited by Rockfish Dave; 06-24-2008 at 04:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    nice rides brother!! love your pack set-up and very nice flux!!

Viva Las Peli Taco
    Dec 2006
    Thanks,

I want to replace the front derailleur with an XTR one, and the crankset with FSA Afterburners on the 5.5 Pack.

The Flux will get a new crankset as well just don't know what I'll get. I have broke one set of the crank brothers cobalt cranks, and this set sounds like it is delaminating as well. Eventually fatigue will set in and the aluminum will snap like the first pair.

The last thing to do (for now) is trim and bleed the brake hoses on both of those bikes.
    Last edited by Rockfish Dave; 06-26-2008 at 11:14 AM.

mtbr member

grips

How do you loke those ergon looking grips. I'm debating on trying some because after long rides, my wrists and hands hurt,

Viva Las Peli Taco
    Dec 2006
    I like them quite a bit. They are a little heavy, and the large size is very large. I like the small size much better, and I wear a size large glove. Even still the large size grip does a better job of spreading the pressure across the entire palm. What I do not care for is the diameter of the grip, it is excessive.

I have been doing longer and longer rides of: road to trail and road home. The longest is 70 miles round trip and by mid point I am feeling it... however, it is much better than the conventional grips I had been using. Carbon bars also take allot of the "sting" out of riding, just something to consider.

As a side bar: the reason I'm putting the crazy miles in (for me anyways) is to prepare for this: Mas O Menos

I'm going to do a couple of race series before, to kind of learn the ropes of organized racing. The Mas O Menos race has been a goal of mine for the past two years. I finally have finished my other goals so this is next up!
    Last edited by Rockfish Dave; 06-26-2008 at 11:17 AM.

mtbr member

i had them in all my bikes

Quote Originally Posted by prooperator
    How do you loke those ergon looking grips. I'm debating on trying some because after long rides, my wrists and hands hurt,
    They are great for long rides on smooth groomed trails with the occational tech section. Now if your trails are technical the you need grips so that your hand can grip all around. For SS I took them off because they are hard to pull on your handlebar on steep climbs.

I guess it depends on the ride. Fro 24hrs races - they are priceless...
    Sit and spin my ass...

Baked Alaskan
    Nice rides, looks like you have all the bases covered. Now all you need is a Sultan to complete the stable, heh, heh...
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Viva Las Peli Taco
    Dec 2006
    It's a sickness I tell ya...

Bite Me.
    Nice fleet - save your money on the XR upgrade for the O2 however. They really tend to make your shock wallow in the midstroke and you get too much travel - the rear wheel will hit the seat tube at the end of your compression stroke. The X rockers are great.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Viva Las Peli Taco
    Dec 2006
    Thanks, but I already have them, and my wife is only getting about half of the travel out of the current set-up. I think that the extra leverage will allow her to use more of the suspension travel with propper sag.

We'll see how it works out. If she does not like them I'll see about finding them a new home.

mtbr member
    So, how is the ride on the pack with the 5.5 Spot rockers and a 7.875x2.25 shock?

Viva Las Peli Taco
    Dec 2006
    I bought the shock first to use with the stock rockers and was disappointed. With stock rockers, it would blow through the travel just like it did with the original DHX Air 5.0 7.5x2.0" shock.

The second characteristic that I did not care for was the height. It felt like I was riding a 'A' frame ladder with wheels when using the pro-pedal setting. As an additional side note the pro-pedal setting #2 is rendered useless other than jacking up the rear until hitting a small bump or standing when pedaling. So the pro-pedal feature would not provide a stable pedaling platform and would cause the shock to stay at the extreem limit of it's travel, completly ruining the Pack's excellent geometry.

I did not want to just buy another shock (7.5"x2.0") as I had already sold the original shock. I had heard so many glowing reviews of the 5.5 Spot rockers and it's progressive compression dampening traits I figured that I'd give that I'd give that a try next. I called Turner and had a set shipped to me.

The combo was the magic set-up for me. I am no longer bottoming the shock, but I am getting full travel with nothing more than very aggressive trail riding. I think it's more an issue with the high volume can and my 210-215# riding weight than anything else. Once the can is switched out with the low volume can it should be perfect.

The travel is progressive, I get around 6.1" of travel (which matches the fork perfectly) and minimal to no pedal bob when seated. I can even stand for limited bursts without the pro-pedal on when climbing without loosing traction. Before the rear suspension would undulate so radically that I'd loose traction almost every time.

I almost have the perfect bike for my trail riding style (if it can be called that) of riding over or through as fast as possible rather than around obstacles. Pro-pedal is working perfectly once again.

The handling has improved even more. It adds predictability to already great handling. I can rail through the rocky, rooted, rutted and sandy single track with smooth predictable handling which transitions nicely into a two wheel drift when pushed to it's limits. I, for once, am wearing out the side knobbies before the center knobbies and loving it!
    Last edited by Rockfish Dave; 06-27-2008 at 11:49 AM.

Viva Las Peli Taco
    Dec 2006
    I forgot to add. That my bike choice has changed from: The Flux for rides with extended climbs, to now I grab the 5.5 Pack. The rocker and shock combo has made it the all round trail bike I was looking for. It climbs, turns, and decends better than before with a solid predictable feel.

I can clean climbs that I never was able to on the Flux. Now the Flux is relagated to race/smooth single track or my long road-trail-road rides. Not a slam on the Flux, it's a great bike in it's own rite, the 5.5 Pack can just do virtually everything in the dirt better and without fear of over stressing the frame.
    Last edited by Rockfish Dave; 06-27-2008 at 11:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    the O2 with XCE rockers looks to have a bolt on rear disc mount. is this something that can be obtained for older XCE's?

banned
    Dude, lose the lizard skins

Viva Las Peli Taco
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Dude, lose the lizard skins
    I would but the shock covers are not Lizard Skins. They are GoreTex covers made by Gerbali.

They have kept both shocks clean and leak free for more than a couple of years. I had ordered another one for the 5.5 Pack, but after waiting for a month I cancelled the order. I'm not sure if they are still in business or not. When I say still in business I mean shipping the shock covers to the customers, as they still took my order...