mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Flux front derialleur

Hi all,

I recently got my first Turner, a flux which is excellent (and you don't see many over here in Australia!!). However, I seem to have a little issue with the front derialleur plates hitting the chain stay yoke when the suspension bottoms out. It only seems to occur when the derialleur is on the inner chainring. It can be resolved by raising the derailleur up the seat tube, but now it sits in a less than ideal position for optimium shifting (about 6-8mm from the chain rings). I'm running a 2005 shimano XT derialleur.

Does anyone else have this issue, if not what derialleur are you running?

Thanks

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    ill assume you have a top swing xt. clamp below the parrallelogram? go with the classic bottom swing type and problem solved.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Flyin Canine
    you didn't give much detail on your setup. Are you running 2 or 3 chainrings? what type of front d are you running? Top swing, bottom swing? a pic would be helpful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi,

I have a shimano XT holotech crank set, with three chain rings and shimano XT "down-swing" front derialleur. Here is a link showing the derialleur which I am using
    here

From what you're saying I'm probably using the wrong type is this correct?

Thanks

strange. thats the right stuff and there shouldnt be a problem like the one you describe when set up correctly. was it a diy job? if so try takin it to a pro mech. if ya did already, try a better one. just thought if this too. wonderin if its a 48t version and yer on a 44t ring. otherwise im at a loss here. i know of plenty of cases where folks do the mail order "deal" and get the totally wrong part un-be-know-est to them and totaly known to the dorks at the website who sold it.

the spec is stamped on the back side of the inner cage and is mentioned in the link ya posted. id post a pic but i cant upload pics right now, dammit! if the upper stamping says "chainstay angle 63 - 66 deg", its for 48t big ring and wont work on a standard 22/32/44 3 ring xt crank. if the upper stamping says "chainstay angle 66 - 69 deg", its for 44t ring and all should be peachy. get back to us and tell us what ya learned so far.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi,

The derialleur has the numbers "66-69" stamped on the back, so I guess it is the right type. There's probably something a bit out with the way I have it setup. In the absence of any other ideas/things that you guys can think of, I might pop down to the LBS to get their opinion and hopefully a fix.

Thanks

Flyin Canine
    Quote Originally Posted by cowleyd
    Hi,

The derialleur has the numbers "66-69" stamped on the back, so I guess it is the right type. There's probably something a bit out with the way I have it setup. In the absence of any other ideas/things that you guys can think of, I might pop down to the LBS to get their opinion and hopefully a fix.

Thanks
    Did the der have that little sticker on it to match it up with the the chainring teeth when you installed it? The lower edge of the outside plate should sit about 2-3mm above the big chainring when the shifter is in the big ring. The other thing you can do is let all the air out of your shock or remove the spring and set the der height with the suspension compressed. That's what I had to do since I run a dual ring setup. Here is a pic of what I mean. Just set the height so that the lowest part of the cage doesn't hit the chainstay yoke. Here is another pic of with the suspension in it's normal extended position too. Note this is an RFX so yours will be a hair different angle on the chainstay probably. This setup will keep you from hitting. For optimum shifting you still want to get as close to the shimano 2-3mm as possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images

should cost ya about $5 to have it fixed. might as well have em go through the whole thing for $30 or $40 to check the rest of yer work. dont want it to suffer from huffy-itis, a condition where a sub par build kills parts and costs more than the price of the bike. not likely in yer case but ya know, spend a buck, save two more.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Flyin Canine
    Here's a link to the shimano pdf file for front drivetrain setup. It's gots pics of the sticker I was talking about and tons of info on front der setup.
    http://bike.shimano.com/media/cyclin...9830572777.pdf

Flyin Canine
    went back and re-read your post again. My xt front der is an 04. Does yours seem like the cage comes lower or something? Pretty weird to have it hit on a 4in travel bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi,

Thanks for the pics, quite informative. It looks like the same derialleur, probably just a dodgy setup. Off to the LBS for a checkup.. don't want huffyitis!

Thanks again for the advice

Bodhisattva
    See my post here
    Life....the original terminal illness