mtbr member

New question here. Flux in east coast mountains

I知 in Florida and usually get up to north Georgia or Pisgah, NC a few times each summer. My Flux is relatively new and I have yet to take it up to these areas. Does anyone ride a Flux in these type areas (i.e. rocky, rooty east coast single track). I love climbing, but I知 wondering how the Flux does on the down-hills on these trails. Any feedback would be appreciated.

banned
    I do those types of trails in upstate NY on my Flux. It blasts downhills. The geometry isn't a sit back and relax type, but weighted appropriately, it's a fast bike pointed down. The suspension hooks up really well and keeps the rear tired glued and is very tolerant of adjustment. What I mean by the latter is that the Burner used to buck me off the bike while I could have the rebound set too high, but the rear and myself stay glued down.

So the trails I'm speaking of are rooted, have large rocks, and turns. You simply position back and you're good. Lots of confidence on descents.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    I did those areas on my Burner with XR rockers just fine. I think a Flux would be fine for Pisgah and great in N GA. I'd just watch what I bombed off of at DuPont. Check out the ride report I just posted from Pinhoti.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member

XR rockers? Pinhoti!!!

I知 kinda new to the Turner family. What are XR rockers?

Ahh, the Pinhoti trail. I did the portion from Bear Creek (going south I think?) to wherever it dumps out on the road. It was some of the best single track I致e ever ridden. I hear the trail is growing. Is most of it that sweet?

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    XR Rockers give more travel. It brought my Burner up from 3.6" to 4".
    This is a different stretch of trail from the one that is off of Bear Creek. The Bear Creek/Pinhoti combo is about 16 miles and the Pinhoti section we did gave us about 25. It's tougher than Bear/Pinhoti but the singletrack is even more fun!
    Big hoopy.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by farmertan
    I知 kinda new to the Turner family. What are XR rockers?

Ahh, the Pinhoti trail. I did the portion from Bear Creek (going south I think?) to wherever it dumps out on the road. It was some of the best single track I致e ever ridden. I hear the trail is growing. Is most of it that sweet?
    Check out thislink then click on "rockers".

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    FYI - Click me.
    Big hoopy.

banned
    what's the story with this, RR?

rr
    I don't do PC
    Cool pics, looks like a fun time.

Having a nice day!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Sometimes you are just in the right place at the right time and the mountain biking gods smile upon you.

Of course about a minute before we ran into the gals I had a nice endo and broke my arm! I therefore wasn't able to truly appreciate the gift that was bestowed upon us!

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Oh, you mean the twins? They were up there riding around on rented bikes. They definitely had to climb to get where we were. It made for some scenic viewing
    Big hoopy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Youll be fine. Ive ridden the same stuff JC has ridden and the Flux shined. Yeah...longer travel bikes will be a bit quicker on the 'gnar gnar' going downhill, as JC alluded to. But so far, Ive NEVER felt out of control on my Flux. And Ive hit some pretty nasty stuff at some pretty decent speeds.

OTOH, I took my Flux on some smoother, twisty stuff yesterday here on Long Island and OH MY GAWD did this bike just ride AMAZING. I was actually in awe when I finished up. The bike railed the turns like nothing Ive ever seen. It was incredible. I felt like I was riding an....er....um....Ducati.

not so super...
    The fabled DuPont twins

Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    JC where are you in NY? We are from Columbia County. Anywhere nearby? Harry

Minor Threat
    Jan 2004

Great for eastcoast

I've ridden a lot of Pisgah area trails on other bikes so I know the type of trails your talking about. I recently got a Flux and have been riding it in VA and WV trails that are similar if not more tough then that area.
    The Flux will do great, It's turning out to be a fine balance for a multitude of riding situations. It decends better then any other 4" FS I have ridden. So as a good climber and a light fast XC bike your probably got one of the best downhillers in its class. the longer wheel base keeps it more stable when pointed down but the tight switchbacks will use a little more finesse.
    [SIZE=3]It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear - Aldo Leopold[/SIZE]