Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17

    Flux and coming back

    I've been riding since '95, racing XC since '97. I'm 36, race Cat 1/2 road, semi-pro XC, and cyclocross. 6'1", maybe 153 pounds. I'm a bike racer, try as I might to avoid it, often racing several times a week. In short, I'm a weenie and I've never had a reason to post on the Turner board.

    I do now, because I replaced the Moots 29er HT I've been riding for two years with an '08 Flux. Other than the fork ('08 SID, much improved and making a good first impression on me as a light XC fork), wheels, and seatpost, all the components from the Moots have made their way to the Flux. It's a pretty standard X.O/Race Face/Avid Juicy Carbon build. The Flux is sitting right at 24 pounds with weight weenie 240/Stan's wheels and Nobby Nics. It weighs about the same as the Moots HT, amazingly.

    The bike is rad. I've been a 29er proponent the last two years, but riding 26 again is like coming back to something familiar and nice. Beyond that, the suspension is incredible. I don't feel like I have to change my HT pedaling style at all. I tend to push bigger gears, but relatively smoothly. It works fine with this bike, and standing on the pedals isn't a problem. I'm more concerned about fork bob than the bike's rear suspension when standing.

    It rocks and I'll be racing it a ton. I'm a hardtail holdout who never felt love for the FS bikes I briefly owned, but I just don't see a downside to the Flux for racing applications. I don't know that I'll really descend that much faster on this bike in most places than I did on the 29er, but I know I'll feel better in that third hour and beyond. The Flux encourages me to stay on the pedals and give'R all the time. That's what racing is about.

    This thing is sweet. My only problem is that now I might want a Spot for those longer, non-racing epic XC days. I'll be racing this bike for a long time and spreading the word. Thanks for making the perfect XC bike.

  2. #2
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Reputation: cactuscorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,971
    glad yer diggin it. i started with a burner the same time you started ridin. that was 5 turners ago and i still own 3. damn i miss my flux. anyway, may as well go get a spot now and save the heartache.
    No, I'm NOT back!

  3. #3
    trail fairy
    Reputation: trailadvent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,652
    Nice post bergfahrer, good to her that persective there's been a few come back over recently, horses for course and peeps for riding style wants etc but still nice to hear good unbiased review from someone whos been on both sides, esspecially an XC racer, Ive never doubted the Flux's abilities even without owning one, Ive spent some laps in endurance and seen it in action!

    Spot or current RFX would be a nice option, CC could set ya up well on a nice light option for the RFX light

    Though the Spot configure correctly is a quite a differnet bike to the Flux to be different as well, you just might want to step up more after some time on the Spot it has a way of doing that to the most ardent XC rider
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

    MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

    Leatt FAQs


  4. #4
    guy who bikes
    Reputation: pedal_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    39
    glad to hear some love for the flux. i've been slowing upgrading my '02 xce to an '08 flux, long story with post and pics to follow upon completion and rides in the next couple of weeks. I have no racing experience, but it's what i'm hoping to do, so i'm glad to hear its praises. when you get a chance, let's see some pics of it (and i think it has to be on a couch).

  5. #5
    Silence and Thunder...
    Reputation: xjbebop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,211
    Welcome! And what a great first (Turner) post!
    Kool aid's at 'Zilla's house...


    btw- sounds like you might want to consider a Sultan rather than a Spot...
    I'm just sayin'....
    ...every day sends future to past...

  6. #6
    trail fairy
    Reputation: trailadvent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,652
    Quote Originally Posted by pedal_bob
    when you get a chance, let's see some pics of it (and i think it has to be on a couch).
    Great idea, standards are slipping though, RED couches preffered


    Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop
    btw- sounds like you might want to consider a Sultan rather than a Spot...
    I'm just sayin'....
    "Oxymoron"! hes just said hes loving being back on a 26er, just saying
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

    MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

    Leatt FAQs


  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17
    The Spot would be as much bike as I'd ever need, and only as a fun bike. I spend half my time on skinny tires, anyway. I've raced for so long that yes, I'm sensitive to how much weight I'm hauling around. Pure XC, fast as possible, and no need for more travel than the Spot. I'm skinny and I descend for the climb. That might be a stretch, but not much.

    The change back to smaller wheels is interesting. Me, I just like shorter chainstays and the punch that comes with 26. It's subjective. I had damn light 29er wheels, but for me, there is a difference in feel, and for the foreseeable future 26 is fine with me.

    For everything one wheel size may do better, there's a corresponding aspect that they don't do as well as the other size. It's like a shadow. More stable = less flickable. Quicker = less stable, etc. At least that's how it seems to me. Whatever works for where and how you ride, I suppose.

    Photos soon. From a trail, though, not the couch. Sorry.

  8. #8
    trail fairy
    Reputation: trailadvent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,652
    look fwd to seeing the rig, no worries on couch its a long running gag we like couches but not mandatory still get the kool aid
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

    MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

    Leatt FAQs


  9. #9
    TLL
    TLL is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,063
    Quote Originally Posted by bergfahrer

    The bike is rad. I've been a 29er proponent the last two years, but riding 26 again is like coming back to something familiar and nice. Beyond that, the suspension is incredible. I don't feel like I have to change my HT pedaling style at all. I tend to push bigger gears, but relatively smoothly. It works fine with this bike, and standing on the pedals isn't a problem. I'm more concerned about fork bob than the bike's rear suspension when standing.

    It rocks and I'll be racing it a ton. I'm a hardtail holdout who never felt love for the FS bikes I briefly owned, but I just don't see a downside to the Flux for racing applications. I don't know that I'll really descend that much faster on this bike in most places than I did on the 29er, but I know I'll feel better in that third hour and beyond. The Flux encourages me to stay on the pedals and give'R all the time. That's what racing is about.

    This thing is sweet. My only problem is that now I might want a Spot for those longer, non-racing epic XC days. I'll be racing this bike for a long time and spreading the word. Thanks for making the perfect XC bike.
    Excellent post.

    I have had a similar experience with 29ers--I went from a Flux to a 29er, Eventually building up a Sultan in the process. While I like the big wheels for certain applications, the Flux just felt faster, especially on the climbs. I'm sure the shorter stays and smaller wheels had a little to do with it, but not gearing, as I run the same gearing on my 26" and 29" bikes.

    Recently I built up an RFX, and was amazed at how well the 26" wheels climb and accelerate, having ridden nothing but 29ers for the past 18 months. If it was that noticeable on the RFX, I can just imagine (or vaguely remember) how fast the Flux would feel running up a hill.

    Don't get me wrong, I like my Shrek sized wheels. 29ers are really a lot of fun. But the Flux really is hard to beat for your application.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    296
    I have been on 29'rs for ten years, mostly singlespeeds. I love the 29'r - so I bought a Mooto-X YBB thinking it would be my last bike. Just sold it because I feel the 29'r set-up is best (for me) as a singlespeed. Now I am thinking about a Flux, and given what I am reading here perhaps a Flux is a good place to turn?
    bikeone

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: miles e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,842
    Quote Originally Posted by bergfahrer
    This thing is sweet. My only problem is that now I might want a Spot for those longer, non-racing epic XC days. I'll be racing this bike for a long time and spreading the word. Thanks for making the perfect XC bike.
    I had a Flux built for racing and a Spot for trail riding for a couple years, and they complemented each other perfectly. The Spot was definitely more comfy and stable, but the Flux never felt skittish when getting back on it. In fact, I had to constantly remind myself not to ride it like the Spot; that bike just wants to go fast- up, down, whatever!
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zion Rasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,420

    So keep the flux then???

    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    glad yer diggin it. i started with a burner the same time you started ridin. that was 5 turners ago and i still own 3. damn i miss my flux. anyway, may as well go get a spot now and save the heartache.
    The flux does kick a$$ doesn't it...
    Sit and spin my ass...

  13. #13
    Silence and Thunder...
    Reputation: xjbebop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    The flux does kick a$$ doesn't it...
    Agreed. Still debating about keeping / selling mine... just gonna wait awhile...
    ...every day sends future to past...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •