Thread: Flux BB height

mtbr member

Flux BB height

Idly comparing the Flux and Burner specs on Turner's website recently, I was surprised that the Flux has a bit lower BB than the Burner. Have any Flux riders suffered from excessive pedal strike? Have any potential Flux buyers been put off by the low BB? I'm considering the Flux, the SC 5010, and the Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt, among others-want a versatile 120mm-ish travel bike with a snappy feel and well-sorted suspension. (one that both pedals and suspends well.)

mtbr member
    Can't say it's been an issue with me and my flux. Maybe once or twice I may have whacked the pedals. I love my flux; it's still fast and climbs well and this is alongside my czar too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I haven't experienced excessive pedals strikes on my Flux but it did surprise me the first few times I rode it on familiar trails (compared to my 5 Spot). After that I became aware of it and now it happens occasionally. I have a 120 fork on mine.
    I have ridden a 5010 (nice bike) but I prefer the Flux for the trails I ride here in SoCal.

Now with flavor!!
    Don't fear the awesome. I've been riding 160mm travel bikes with BBs lower than that and it rules.

If you have eyes, it works. If you watch where you're going, maybe not.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 08-28-2015 at 02:09 PM.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

~~~~~~~~
    Burner BB is 12mm higher but has 20mm more travel. Maybe that linkage program can compute or math??? and what is the height half way into the travel, and all the way.

Which reminds me, amongst the recent outbreak of carbon frames I saw some rad ones with ICT suspension that are 14"+ BB. People are going to get tired of smacking there plastic on rocks and high bb's will be all rage.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. I still enjoy my Burner but I can't help but feel that a bike with about 80% of its awesomeness would be a better fit for my style and for the trails I ride. A little lighter, a little snappier, less planted in a good way, if you know what I mean. I like popping off stuff, and the Burner just soaks stuff up, plows right through. That's fun in it's own way but sometimes I miss the lively ride of a bike with less brawn. I can't afford to keep two such bikes in my stable, so I might send the Burner on down the road.

I did get some pedal strikes with it early on, including one that put me into a tree at speed. (ouch!) Seeing that the Flux BB is even lower concerns me, but airwreck's point about the relationship between amount of travel and BB height is an interesting one.

I've always been hesitant to commit to an SC bike, because it seems every one that I come across on the trail (fairly rare to be honest) seems to suffer from creaky pivots. I hate a noisy bike! And the Rocky Mountain--well, I prefer a threaded BB shell. So I keep coming back to the Flux.

Still pondering-probably won't do anything 'til over the winter or even the end of next season. It's not an urgent urge, in other words--I still love riding the Burner. It just no longer feels like the "last FS bike I'll ever own," that I thought it would be when I bought it. I need a bike that suits the way and trails I ride, not one that suits the trails and way I wish I rode, if you get my drift...

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Idly comparing the Flux and Burner specs on Turner's website recently, I was surprised that the Flux has a bit lower BB than the Burner. Have any Flux riders suffered from excessive pedal strike? Have any potential Flux buyers been put off by the low BB? I'm considering the Flux, the SC 5010, and the Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt, among others-want a versatile 120mm-ish travel bike with a snappy feel and well-sorted suspension. (one that both pedals and suspends well.)
    It depends highly on your build.

If you "overfork" your flux a bit and put big tires on it, like I did - that BB goes up a good bit.

My Flux and Burner have very, very similar Geo - including BB height

If you're thinking the Burner is a bit much - then build a Flux with bigger fork, tires and brakes. Check out my "flux 3.0" thread build for many reference builds.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I think if you do some research on those three frames all of them have users that suffer from pedal strikes. I personal don't think it's a big deal because the inverse is a high BB and we know the handling results from that. The Flux is a great trail bike coupled with a 130 Pike.

aka Jesse Palmer
    There's this: Offset Eyelet Lower Pin Kit - Turner Bikes
    Flux BB height-parts_shock-offset-eyelet-kit_01.jpg

Has anyone tried it? Seems like an ideal way to quickly make the tweak you are looking for. The Turner store says they are out of stock at the moment, not sure if they are planing to get more?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    It depends highly on your build.

If you "overfork" your flux a bit and put big tires on it, like I did - that BB goes up a good bit.

My Flux and Burner have very, very similar Geo - including BB height

If you're thinking the Burner is a bit much - then build a Flux with bigger fork, tires and brakes. Check out my "flux 3.0" thread build for many reference builds.
    Yeah, another concern of mine is that the Flux might not be quite different enough. But the Burner is such a fine bike that the Flux might be just the ticket. Wish there was a way to demo one near me. There isn't even a dealer in my state...

Quote Originally Posted by jp3d View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parts_shock-offset-eyelet-kit_01.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	1011893

Has anyone tried it? Seems like an ideal way to quickly make the tweak you are looking for. The Turner store says they are out of stock at the moment, not sure if they are planing to get more?
    I actually have one of these on my Burner--it did help--the bike feels a bit snappier and pedal strikes did become less frequent. If I sell the burner frame, I will definitely keep this little widget to put on the Flux, if I buy a Flux. B-)

Crazed Country Rebel
    Yeah, another concern of mine is that the Flux might not be quite different enough. But the Burner is such a fine bike that the Flux might be just the ticket. Wish there was a way to demo one near me. There isn't even a dealer in my state...

I actually have one of these on my Burner--it did help--the bike feels a bit snappier and pedal strikes did become less frequent. If I sell the burner frame, I will definitely keep this little widget to put on the Flux, if I buy a Flux. B-)
    Again, depends on how you build it.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jp3d View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parts_shock-offset-eyelet-kit_01.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	1011893

I have one and I have a Flux but I haven't felt the need to install it. My Flux has a Pike 130mm on it... I don't ever think about pedal strikes when I ride. I was worried because of all the hype on here about the low BB but it is really a non issue.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have a 140mm x fusion with a 2.4 front tire on my flux. I have an occassional strike but not very often. I tried the t bolt. Awesome bike but i still went and built up the flux. It is an great climber. And very snappy in the tight stuff.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

The area I ride has a lot of steep rooty climbs and I had some problems at first.Ended up putting on a 130 mm travel fork ( 526 a-c ) and a Burgtec offset bushing to keep the headtube angle from slacking out too much.That put the BB at about 13.2"

jrm
    mtbr member
    Does anyone know what the difference in HT/ST angle is in the 12 and 6 o'clock positions? Can it be used in positions other than 12 and 6 o'clock? TIA

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've always been hesitant to commit to an SC bike, because it seems every one that I come across on the trail (fairly rare to be honest) seems to suffer from creaky pivots. I hate a noisy bike! And the Rocky Mountain--well, I prefer a threaded BB shell. So I keep coming back to the Flux.
    I've heard bikes of all brands creaking on the trails and I think that's more of a maintenance issue. I'm chasing down a creak on my Flux now that's really bugging me

The threaded BB was a decision point for me too.

I built mine with a 130mm Pike and 2.35/2.3 tires and love how this bike handles the climbs, the smooth/fast and the rough stuff, without being too much bike for the majority of my riding. Pedal strikes on occasion and totally preventable with a little more "grace". My only regret is that I think I should have gone with a Large for the longer TT as I sometimes feel cramped on the Medium with an 80mm stem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Burner, 170 cranks and rough stuff its a lot of pedal strikes when you start getting tired. 160mm fork helped a lot but.. still somewhat much, but its worth it for the downhill

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonE5 View Post
    I've heard bikes of all brands creaking on the trails and I think that's more of a maintenance issue. I'm chasing down a creak on my Flux now that's really bugging me

The threaded BB was a decision point for me too.

I built mine with a 130mm Pike and 2.35/2.3 tires and love how this bike handles the climbs, the smooth/fast and the rough stuff, without being too much bike for the majority of my riding. Pedal strikes on occasion and totally preventable with a little more "grace". My only regret is that I think I should have gone with a Large for the longer TT as I sometimes feel cramped on the Medium with an 80mm stem.
    True about creaking bikes-my Burner has a saddle related creak right now. It's an old saddle and I think the plastic that the rails insert into at the back is getting worn--might try dripping some oil in there or just get a new saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by AdakaR View Post
    Burner, 170 cranks and rough stuff its a lot of pedal strikes when you start getting tired. 160mm fork helped a lot but.. still somewhat much, but its worth it for the downhill
    Yeah, I can avoid pedal strikes when I know they're a possibility, riding over logs and such, but the ones that hurt are the ones you don't see til you've struck 'em, rocks or stumps hidden by undergrowth on the edge of the trail and the like.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah, I can avoid pedal strikes when I know they're a possibility, riding over logs and such, but the ones that hurt are the ones you don't see til you've struck 'em, rocks or stumps hidden by undergrowth on the edge of the trail and the like.
    Yes! I've had a few of those "unknown obstacle strikes" too and have nearly ejected as a result. I'm trying to be better at avoiding them, but there's just so much weed growth on the trails right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Stock Flux 3.0 - I pedal strike all the dang time.

I think it's slightly more skill and fitness level than the low BB - but low BB def has a lot to do with it. I've gotten slightly better over time on the bike, but still strike a lot.

I'll report back after the 130 Pike and maybe those offset eyelets are installed.
    1997 Stumpy M2 Comp
    2014 Turner Flux, XT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cemeek View Post
    Stock Flux 3.0 - I pedal strike all the dang time.

I think it's slightly more skill and fitness level than the low BB - but low BB def has a lot to do with it. I've gotten slightly better over time on the bike, but still strike a lot.

I'll report back after the 130 Pike and maybe those offset eyelets are installed.
    This was an original concern of mine when I was looking at the new Flux to replace my aging 5 Spot. I've been riding mine since Feb 2014. I ride a lot of super tight rocky, rooted trails here. Technical climbing going up and down. With the original fork (120 mm Fox), I had far more strikes. Have been running a Pike set up at 140 mm. Makes a bunch of difference. Gearing/cadence definitely makes a difference as well.

mtbr member
    running shorter cranks can help a bit too--I use 170's on all my bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    If you have eyes, it works. If you watch where you're going, maybe not.
    Feel the FORCE!!!

jrm
    mtbr member
    You shouldnt have to limit crank arm length. It's more of a technique thing..

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    You shouldnt have to limit crank arm length. It's more of a technique thing..
    This is what I'm learning, albeit slowly. When I can get my timing right, all good.

Pike and DBAir Inline on the way, w000000000t!

Now to start obsessing over DBAir settings
    1997 Stumpy M2 Comp
    2014 Turner Flux, XT

mtbr member
    The important question now is when will the flux be available again?! B-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The important question now is when will the flux be available again?! B-)
    +1.

DT, will the Flux 3.0 be available in RAW? ETA?