Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Flux as an All Around XC Race Bike, Flux or Epic?

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a new bike/frame due to needing a bigger one. It will be used as a XC racing frame on courses ranging from super easy (Wakefield in Annandale, VA) to extremely rocky and technical (Bear Creek & Michaux in PA).

Currently I'm thinking about a Turner Flux or a 06 Epic Marathon (speced really well for 06).

Any ideas on how these two frames/bikes (XL) compair in weight?

How does the flux work for something like short track racing?

Thanks!

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Epic is only a slightly heavier frame. It is however, as Renegade once put it, a suspension frame for people who don't really like suspension. A friend of mine has an 04 Epic and neither he nor me dig it. Flux has been reported by several people who race it to be a superb racer.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Silence and Thunder...

...check it out...

...every day sends future to past...

...master of none
    Quote Originally Posted by HiHoEskimo
    Hi,

I'm looking at getting a new bike/frame due to needing a bigger one. It will be used as a XC racing frame on courses ranging from super easy (Wakefield in Annandale, VA) to extremely rocky and technical (Bear Creek & Michaux in PA).

Currently I'm thinking about a Turner Flux or a 06 Epic Marathon (speced really well for 06).

Thanks!
    I never rode the Epic, but I can say the Flux is an incredible race machine. Nobody passed me on the bike leg of my last three off-road triathlons (including Keystone and Tahoe). Turner just nailed everything about this bike.

bock

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    agreed. there is none higher. plush and fast without the squirley feeling of some 4" bikes i know. buy it. ride it. forget it.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Depends

Depends.

Pure race, I'd go Epic.

Racing with plenty of trail riding mixed in on off weekends, I'd go Flux.

Racing (short-track especially) involves huge accelerating surges to spit lesser riders off the back. The Epic's auto-lockout rocks for this. It squirts.

But....it's not the quality ride on a 4-hour single-track oddysey that the Flux is (well, actually, I've got a 5-Spot, but you get the drift).

And this coming from a huge Turner fan!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    Depends.

Pure race, I'd go Epic.

Racing with plenty of trail riding mixed in on off weekends, I'd go Flux.

Racing (short-track especially) involves huge accelerating surges to spit lesser riders off the back. The Epic's auto-lockout rocks for this. It squirts.

But....it's not the quality ride on a 4-hour single-track oddysey that the Flux is (well, actually, I've got a 5-Spot, but you get the drift).

And this coming from a huge Turner fan!
    I'd have to agree with you on all your points. I would argue that most short track courses are smooth enough that building up a light HT (significantly less $$ than a light FS bike) is the best ticket for that type of race.

My $.02...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    I'd have to agree with you on all your points. I would argue that most short track courses are smooth enough that building up a light HT (significantly less $$ than a light FS bike) is the best ticket for that type of race.

My $.02...
    Yup, if you've got room in the garage for a dedicated short-course and smooth course bike, HT is tough to beat in those arenas.

You just can't throw down a real sprint on a squishy. Close, but 20 feet off the back is still off the back.

That adjustable brain on the Epic comes very close though. Assuming it is still there for 06. I have no idea.

mtbr member

Go w/ the Flux

In the saddle the Flux will be just as effecient as an Epic. Sprinting in one thing, but carrying speed over bumps is another. I think the Flux would carry speed better over rough sections. The bushings and top-routed cables will be a big benefit in wet conditions. If you want a trail/race bike, I'd go w/ a Fox F100RLT fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Flux is a great racer!

This post is NOT to call attention to my own results, but to lay praise on the object I believe contributed so highly to these results. I bought the Flux because I wanted ONE bike that would be super fun to ride, be versatile, and capable of racing. Until the Nitrous, a 5.5lb frame was standard race weight for FS (Fuel, Ellsworth, RacerX, Spider, etc.) meaning that a Flux was in the right neighborhood, depending on the build. I figured that if I would add the weight of full suspension, why not get 4 inches of travel out of it? if a 3 lb fork is good for 3 inches, why not get 4.5 inches for 3.25 lbs? So it became a question of maximizing travel for the weight / of achieving an optimal balance. Reality slapped me in the face when Mark Weir crushed us at a local, non technical race, on a bike with a 5" shock and 4.5" rear. Duh. Maximize your travel to weight ratio!

My Flux is built to 23.5 lbs for race day. I could make it even lighter. It was 24.5 for Downieville, where I finished 5th in the All Mtn. Pro, the only difference was beefier tires. One season, no mechanicals, 7 expert victories, 4th at National Championships (exp 30-34). I've never had results like this in my life. And trust me, the bike is not slowing me down.

Why take the Flux over the Specialized? Durability. The zerk-lubed bushings on the Turner will last you forever. I have ridden the @#$% out of my Flux since I bought it in February and still not one peep of noise from the linkage, not one sign of wear, no hint of play.

mtbr member

All your answeres are here -

Rear the MTBR review - Flux vs the Racer X -
    Turner Flux - mtbr.com pro review
    I posted about the Flux in the thread - KMan

KMan

Quote Originally Posted by HiHoEskimo
    Hi,

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for all the replies and info! Sounds like either bike will work well for me although I'm thinking of the Turner Flux as I will purchase an cut fork at the same time. I can't find from Specialized how long the steer is on an 06 XL Epic so it might be to short, meaning the bike would still be to small.

The first thing I think I will do about my poor rock garden riding is to do some upper body weights. Wimpy arms may be as much of a problem as really low handle bars!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by obaby
    This post is NOT to call attention to my own results, but to lay praise on the object I believe contributed so highly to these results. I bought the Flux because I wanted ONE bike that would be super fun to ride, be versatile, and capable of racing. Until the Nitrous, a 5.5lb frame was standard race weight for FS (Fuel, Ellsworth, RacerX, Spider, etc.) meaning that a Flux was in the right neighborhood, depending on the build. I figured that if I would add the weight of full suspension, why not get 4 inches of travel out of it? if a 3 lb fork is good for 3 inches, why not get 4.5 inches for 3.25 lbs? So it became a question of maximizing travel for the weight / of achieving an optimal balance. Reality slapped me in the face when Mark Weir crushed us at a local, non technical race, on a bike with a 5" shock and 4.5" rear. Duh. Maximize your travel to weight ratio!

My Flux is built to 23.5 lbs for race day. I could make it even lighter. It was 24.5 for Downieville, where I finished 5th in the All Mtn. Pro, the only difference was beefier tires. One season, no mechanicals, 7 expert victories, 4th at National Championships (exp 30-34). I've never had results like this in my life. And trust me, the bike is not slowing me down.

Why take the Flux over the Specialized? Durability. The zerk-lubed bushings on the Turner will last you forever. I have ridden the @#$% out of my Flux since I bought it in February and still not one peep of noise from the linkage, not one sign of wear, no hint of play.

23.5ilb.

Thats pretty light for a Flux- what's your build?

pretty lite, thats mighty lite! maybe its just me but i cant grasp how 23.5 is done without putin on a bunch of silly stuff. im full '05 xtr, valiants, larson tt's, thomson's,bb7's and float talus rlc and it 3 lbs heavyer. now sure, theres a few not mega lite bits but 3 lbs worth? i can see about 1.5 lbs less with a fork and brake swap so i guess it could be done but i dunno how. lets see that spec hiho, please!
    No, I'm NOT back!

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

You could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    pretty lite, thats mighty lite! maybe its just me but i cant grasp how 23.5 is done without putin on a bunch of silly stuff. im full '05 xtr, valiants, larson tt's, thomson's,bb7's and float talus rlc and it 3 lbs heavyer. now sure, theres a few not mega lite bits but 3 lbs worth? i can see about 1.5 lbs less with a fork and brake swap so i guess it could be done but i dunno how. lets see that spec hiho, please!
    You're right, an easy 1.5lb to lose with a fork, R7?, and hopes. (love my MonoM4s, might try monomini's on a race bike)

Could lose another 1/2 lb in stem and post. I ride Thomson, they're great, but there is lighter quality stuff for a race bike. I'll stick with Thomson for my trail bike though.

Could lose almost another 100g in the Hubs, AC or DT.

Don't know what bar you have, but might have another 100g to lose there, up to another 90g to lose if you're using lock-on grips (ritchey foam grips rule, never had a slippage problem, was able to carefully remove them when I got a new bike, and have used the same set for 4 years racing and riding in the desert, and they're only like 45g, comfy, great grip, positive, doh, just gave away a secret)

so there is 2.75lbs you could drop, don't know what you're using for tubes, but lightweights for race day would get you to that 23.5lb.

Looking at building a race bike myself, burner, so all these numbers are floating around in my head right now. I have a Talus too, good fork. I want to try out an R7 100mm for racing though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

It's not "stupid" light

Here's the build. Decide for yourself if you'd ride it, and remember, this is my race-day build.

Reba Team Fork w/poploc remote
    Ritchey Carbon Risers w/ Ritchey WCS (90mm) stem
    Sram XO shifters, long cage derailleur, LX front Der., PC99 hollow link chain, XT 11-32 cassette.
    XTR 175mm cranks w/ original EggBeaters (the heavy ones)
    Magura Marta brakes and rotors, Ti caliper (not rotor) bolts
    Ritchey WCS seatpost and WTB ShadowVStealth saddle
    Magura (DT) Hubs w/ DT rev spokes, Stan's Olympic Disc Rims, Kenda Karma DTC treads

Pretty standard stuff. The only change for Downieville was Hutchinson Spider Tubeless Lite tires.

niiiiiiiiiice! yeah, id ride that! hope ya wernt offended as i didnt mean any harm. just curious as to how it was done. still pals?
    No, I'm NOT back!

more thoughts

i do have ugi dreams. swap the 990 stuff for a xtr 11/34 and a hollow pin, mono minis here too rather than the bb7's, maxis carbon bars and post as opposed to my monkey bar and elite post, twin ti eb's instead of my sl's, some new wheels, not sure what yet but im leanin towards stans olympics and dt comps, maybe some 240's and stans alloy rotors. i hear the 240's are problematic over time though. this all might do it dont ya think? just big money involved. its always those final pounds huh?

i do run odi rouge lock ons and love em. would be hard to part with those. tell me more about the r 7 please. im not hip. i hate ultra lite tubes. scary stuff most of the time. maybe the new stuff is better than the old pannaracer greens. michelin perhaps?

thanx for the suggestions and id dig hearin more.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    maybe its just me but i cant grasp how 23.5 is done without putin on a bunch of silly stuff.
    It's simple math really; 1/2 lb. there, 1/4 lb. here add up. Below is a pic of my Flux which originally built to 23.76 lbs. Silly is in the eye of beholder, or rider as it were. For my part I started and finished a dozen or so races this year in the expert class (i.e. ~ 2 hrs.), so I don't find any of the parts "silly" (although I have changed to 959's & Blue Groove tires, bringing it a bit over 24 lbs. now). My trail bike (5 Spot) is built heavier, but the Flux is so fun at 24 lbs. I don't know that I could bring myself to handicap it with heavier parts even if I were not racing.

Here is the build in the picture:
    * Frame Size & Color: Large, polished
    * Fork: Fox Float RLC reduced to 100mm travel
    * Brakes: Magura Marta
    * Shifters: Shimano LX
    * Cables: Shimano XTR
    * Cranks: Shimano XT 752
    * Chain: Shimano XTR
    * Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
    * Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT
    * Pedals: standard Egg Beaters
    * Stem: Syntace F99 105mm w/ ti bolts
    * Handlebar: Maxm MX5
    * Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece
    * Saddle: Fizik Gobi
    * Bottom Bracket: Shimano ES71
    * Cassette: Shimano Shimano 760
    * Headset: Chris King
    * Grips: Serfas
    * Front Tire: Kenda Karma
    * Front Rim: Stan's Olympic
    * Front Hub/Skewer: King ISO/USE Spin Stix
    * Rear Tire:Kenda Karma
    * Rear Rim: Stan's Olympic
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: King ISO/USE Spin Stix
    * Spokes: Sapim CX-RAY
    * Nipples: Sapim alloy
    * Tubes: tape only w/ Stan's sealant
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

23 3/4 with iso's, lx and xt? i better start lookin for the lead shot in my med flux w/ xtr. damn man! nuthin silly on that build. so how do ya like the olympics? give it to me straight, doc.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    23 3/4 with iso's, lx and xt? i better start lookin for the lead shot in my med flux w/ xtr. damn man! nuthin silly on that build. so how do ya like the olympics? give it to me straight, doc.
    Yeah, splurging for the Olympics let me save weight where it matters most (super light rims, no tubes/rim strips) and use boring, reliable, cheap XT (and older XT at that) for the drivetrain. The rims have been great- still running true, no dings, no burps, no problems at all. Can't ask for much more than that from a 347 gram rim.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

thanx man. they sound golden. so far not a negitive word whenever i ask. thinkin it the answer for me to. how would they hold up on a 5" mini freeride bike though? hmmmmmm......
    No, I'm NOT back!

MK_
    carpe maņana
    thanx man. they sound golden. so far not a negitive word whenever i ask. thinkin it the answer for me to. how would they hold up on a 5" mini freeride bike though? hmmmmmm......
    They would hold up for a while, but would not withstand the test of time, especially if you really get into the freeride aspect of the mini freeride bike.

-mK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

cool. think ill just relace the rear with a new hub and keep the mavericks then. they should hold up to my 160lb weenie riding style.
    No, I'm NOT back!

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

how 'bout that Gobi

How are you likin' that Gobi? I still need to pick a seat for the race(and soon to be only) bike. I was riding a flight gel for quite a few years, but I put a wtb pure stealth on my trailbike, and it's like wow, my butt doesn't hurt after a ride (especially if I had a few weeks off, the flite would be harsh, I would get used to it though). But the Gobi looks maybe comfy, with a nice shape, looks easy to get off the back. Observations, comparisons, how about it's lack of a "relief" channel?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    It's simple math really; 1/2 lb. there, 1/4 lb. here add up. Below is a pic of my Flux which originally built to 23.76 lbs. Silly is in the eye of beholder, or rider as it were. For my part I started and finished a dozen or so races this year in the expert class (i.e. ~ 2 hrs.), so I don't find any of the parts "silly" (although I have changed to 959's & Blue Groove tires, bringing it a bit over 24 lbs. now). My trail bike (5 Spot) is built heavier, but the Flux is so fun at 24 lbs. I don't know that I could bring myself to handicap it with heavier parts even if I were not racing.

Here is the build in the picture:
    * Frame Size & Color: Large, polished
    * Fork: Fox Float RLC reduced to 100mm travel
    * Brakes: Magura Marta
    * Shifters: Shimano LX
    * Cables: Shimano XTR
    * Cranks: Shimano XT 752
    * Chain: Shimano XTR
    * Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
    * Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT
    * Pedals: standard Egg Beaters
    * Stem: Syntace F99 105mm w/ ti bolts